U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 07-24-2009, 12:37 PM

3 posts, read 17,611 times
Default Sue the Contractor or get Revenge?

I hired a loser contractor off Craigs List, who "took the money (and materials) and ran." I am soooooo pissed off! Some of my friends say take the guy to small claims court (heard you rarely get paid) and a small percentage say they know somebody who can get back at the sucker in different ways for a small fee. I am sooooooo mad and myself and this ass! Mad at myself for trusting this man and of course, mad at him for ripping me off. Any ideas or opinions on how I can get back at this dishonest contractor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 07-24-2009, 12:43 PM

13,492 posts, read 19,901,165 times
This is America....we sue here. Take him to small claims court and stay out of trouble. Trying to "get back at the sucker in different ways for a small fee" doesn't sound legal or wise. Suck up your losses and move on.

Unread 07-24-2009, 12:48 PM

I'd like to find a way to warn people not to hire him on Craigs List. Do you know of any way to do that?

Unread 07-24-2009, 01:14 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,960,728 times
I would say that if he made off with materials which you bought then that would constitute theft in which case the police should be involved.

What were the terms of the contract?

Last edited by goodmanm; 07-24-2009 at 01:15 PM.. Reason: spelling

Unread 07-24-2009, 01:43 PM

52 posts, read 114,084 times
Just out of curiosity... what did you have (or try to have) done?

Does this guy work jobs on the side and is employed at a company during the week? If so, maybe you can go through his employer and TRY TO make life miserable for him until he refunds you either the money or materials. I seriously doubt you'll be able to do anthing to him on CL ... he can just create another account and will be right back at it.

You definitely don't want to do anything illegal as he knows where you live... unless you know where he lives... just kidding... ... ... ... ... do you know where he lives?

Unread 07-24-2009, 02:02 PM

45 posts, read 61,866 times
Revenge never ends well. You should know this.

As for warning other people, you should be able to flag his post on craigslist and bring it to the attention of the administrators.

Unread 07-24-2009, 02:41 PM

872 posts, read 970,418 times
Was he licensed? If so, contact the Texas Attorney General and the BBB. If not...you are probably out of luck. Lesson learned...don't pay before the work is completed!

Revenge is a big no no. That is exactly a very large part of the problem in places like Iraq and the former Yugoslavia.

Unread 07-24-2009, 02:47 PM

13,803 posts, read 17,245,489 times
Documenting the fact that you may seek revenge is also not a good idea. If you wanted to go that route, it's best to keep it to yourself and handle it yourself. Anyone who offers to "take care of it" for you is going to sing like a bird after they get caught..

Unread 07-24-2009, 02:47 PM

81 posts, read 110,179 times
If you have evidence sue him if not don't bother, regardless theft is theft and you should make a police report.

Unread 07-24-2009, 04:29 PM

I hate birds who sing.....The loser contractor is an independent contractor. The terms of the contract, simply listed a number of jobs in the interior of my home (tile work, hard wood floor, painting and sheetrock); how much each job would cost me and that I would supply the materials. Could I be sued if I mentioned his name and company on this site?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio