U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 10:34 PM

944 posts, read 2,806,775 times

Advertisements

People who are considering a move to a new city have a lot of information to sort through. Many on this forum say that San Antonio is wonderful, and some say it's not.

Perhaps what would be most helpful to people who are considering a move to SA would be specific examples of activites and opportunities that locals find to be "exciting" and possibly unique to SA (i.e., that exude a vibe of absolute heart-stirring and giddy vivaciousness). After all, isn't giddiness what we all strive for in some measure? (And if not, how sad...)

Keeping the "exciting" criterion in mind, readers from other places can peruse responses and decide for themselves if such and such opportunity/activity sounds "exciting," or, sadly, "lame." The reason I ask this question is because excitement and opportunity tend to reside in the mind of the beholder. Rather than bicker amonst ourselves about this, let the foreign reader decide for her/himself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2007, 11:26 PM

3,542 posts, read 7,538,217 times
Hello, great thread idea -- let me come up with a list of things and I promise I will post them

Old 04-21-2007, 11:55 PM

944 posts, read 2,806,775 times
Cool. Remember though, there have already been threads about "what you like about SA" and such. Let's see what people can come up with that is not just good, but rather, EXCITING.

Old 04-22-2007, 09:49 AM

545 posts, read 2,089,651 times
This whole next week is exciting...Fiesta is one of the best times of year to be in San Antonio. The entire city is in party mode. There is so much to do, from hanging out at the carnival to black tie events, there is something for everyone. What's great is that it happens every year, so if you find something you don't like, you can try something different next year!

Other things I find exciting about SA:

* Spurs playoffs
* Missions baseball (give me minor league ball over the majors any day...I can afford to take my whole family!)
* The history of the Spanish Missions - if all you've ever done is driven by, you're missing out. Visit the Espada Dam - the oldest working dam in the US, or the Espada Aqueduct...these structures are both almost 300 years old.

I'm sure I'll think of more, but it's early, and my brain isn't quite there yet.

Old 04-22-2007, 10:26 AM

5,635 posts, read 13,974,263 times
You forgot the Alamo....

Old 04-22-2007, 11:06 AM

15 posts, read 98,279 times
San Antonio has great things going for it entertainment wise. There are also lots of things to do within day drives around especially if you like the outdoors and want to beat the summer heat in SA. There are dude ranches, youth camps, biking, tubing, up on the Edward's plateau and the cold crisp rivers in the Texas Hill Country. State parks: Garner, Lost Maples, & our newest, Government Canyon; and of course there's always great fishing on the coast down at Port Aransas, and Port O'Conner, although that requires a night over. A beautiful place if you are a shutter bug for wildflowers is Cuero & Dewitt County to the east during the month of April. Not your typical bluebonnets, indian paint brushes, there. There will also be lots of small town rodeos in the smaller communities around SA. Search the web for all the things going on in those areas.

Official Fiesta events are great for the young and young at heart, but a lot of the events have become rather expensive, and crowded, with the same old big turkey legs you see at city events across the country.

An option is to create your own personal fiesta party and enjoy the cascarones with your closest friends during the start of the spring season.

that's the news ...

Old 04-22-2007, 11:21 AM

14,627 posts, read 31,214,976 times
Anything at the Majestic Theater, and also the Steven Stoli playhouse.

Spurs.

Lazy days tubing down the rivers nearby.

Old 04-22-2007, 11:26 AM

13 posts, read 102,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello13685 View Post
Perhaps what would be most helpful to people who are considering a move to SA would be specific examples of activites and opportunities that locals find to be "exciting" and possibly unique to SA (i.e., that exude a vibe of absolute heart-stirring and giddy vivaciousness).

I would dare say that 95% of what constitutes "exciting" and "unique to SA" involves activities centered around food. I have said it before - the devotion to eating in San Antonio is perhaps unsurpassed in this country.

Old 04-22-2007, 12:27 PM

58 posts, read 174,254 times
In my opinion, exciting really has to do with who you are with when doing an activity...or going out for the night. I can have a great night staying at home, having a barbeque with friends, drinking some wine and watching a great movie. I guess that could be boring to some...but how can anywhere you go truly be EXCITING? Unless you are a kid about to go to Disneyland for your first time...I don't really get that feeling from going somewhere. I get excited when I get that promotion I was waiting for or when I found out my sister was pregnant...but excited to go somewhere or do something...not really. I guess I'm looking forward to going to Six Flags to go on that new Tony Hawk ride...I'm sure that will be somewhat exciting. Oh and the Palladium Imax Theater, I noticed had VIP theaters that are 21 and over where they serve cocktails while you watch the movie....that sounds different. I have to say, coming from Cali, I have never seen a theater like that. Oh yea....I forgot about one thing that truly excited me when I got here....HOUSE PRICES...it doesn't get much more exciting than that!

Now if you want excitement...travel to Europe or Asia and see other cultures...that is my favorite thing to do. Also, maybe take a road trip to different states...visit CA and maybe WA....they all have people...schools...churches...grocery stores...bars...restaurants....etc. Then maybe you will realize when it comes down to it....and you just look at day to day life....it is all the same.

Old 04-24-2007, 08:28 AM

3,542 posts, read 7,538,217 times
What I love to do in San Antonio:

Visit the parks: Brackenridge, McAllister, Olmos, Guadalupe River, etc.

Drive around: Great scenic routes all over the city outside the freeway. I love getting lost around town.

Going Downtown: I know its touristy, but I like being a tourist in my own city. The architecture is always great to look at!

Museums: The McNay, Witte, and the new Alameda are all great to visit.

Parks: Sea World, Fiesta Texas, Schlitterbahn and Splashtown all make great family fun.

History: Visiting the missions all on the southside of town and touring the beautiful Southtown district and Montevista areas.

Hospitality: all of this amplified by running into friendly people all over town. I have yet to get into any confrontation in the 5 years i've lived in its town -- and that never gets old.
-------------

P.S.
If I get tired of SA, Austin is only a 30-40 minute drive away; a great city to visit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or