Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 03:19 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,285,083 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of any meat markets on the Northwest or Southwest Side (Alamo Ranch to Lackland) areas where I could get pork for pastor that is already shredded or seasoned?

I had this for the first time this week, and I am obsessed with it. It is so delicious!

Better yet, anyone know of anywhere that I could get a lesson on making this? Reading recipes online is not helpful to me; I lack all manner of culinary skills.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 03:39 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,259,460 times
There is a taco truck on the corner of Military and Marbach by the La Fiesta parking lot that IMO makes the best tacos al pastor. They top it off with cilantro, onions, and lime. They are there pretty much every night around 7ish.

Old 07-26-2009, 03:42 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,293,083 times
Chacho's has some great pork pastor as well

maybe they would sell you just the meat already cooked? that would make life easier

Old 07-26-2009, 03:43 PM

14,637 posts, read 34,908,094 times
Call Bolner's Meat Market.....not sure if they sell the pork, but they sell Fiesta brand spices. I'm almost positive they have the--I think it's adobo spice--for al pastor tacos. They are really nice, friendly people....so friendly that when I complimented their *mouthgasmic* cream corn, the cook told me how to make it at home. Better yet....don't call them. It's an easy drive over there! Don't go hungry, though....the food doesn't look all that appealing (honestly, it doesn't) but OMG it's amazingly good.

You might also ask at your favorite Mexican restaurant that sells it. Most people are willing to share info like that--flattery will open doors.

Bolner Meat Company serving San Antonio since 1914

Old 07-26-2009, 03:46 PM

546 posts, read 1,494,730 times
There is a place also inside ingram park mall. I cant think of the name but its next to Chic fila. They make some awesome carnitas and they serve it with a slice of guacamole and lime. oh so good. you can get 6 mini tacos with a mexican coke for 7 bucks.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:26 PM

I don't think I was very clear, I want to make it at home, but I don't know where to buy the correct meat (or exactly what kind of meat for that matter). I was hopping to find somewhere that sold the meat so I could try making it at home.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Call Bolner's Meat Market.....not sure if they sell the pork, but they sell Fiesta brand spices. I'm almost positive they have the--I think it's adobo spice--for al pastor tacos. They are really nice, friendly people....so friendly that when I complimented their *mouthgasmic* cream corn, the cook told me how to make it at home. Better yet....don't call them. It's an easy drive over there! Don't go hungry, though....the food doesn't look all that appealing (honestly, it doesn't) but OMG it's amazingly good.

You might also ask at your favorite Mexican restaurant that sells it. Most people are willing to share info like that--flattery will open doors.

Bolner Meat Company serving San Antonio since 1914
Sapphire,
Thanks! Hopefully they can help me figure out how to make it, or at least what kind of pork cut and spices... awesome

Old 07-26-2009, 05:52 PM

2 posts, read 3,047 times
The Culebra meat market at 8230 Culebra has it uncooked. I cooked it with some raw onions and cilantro on corn tortillas. Tasted pretty good.

Old 07-26-2009, 06:08 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,569,010 times
And dont forget Penshorns. Are they still around? In Marion Texas, its a drive but a lot of people head out there on a Saturday take their icechest and fill up.

Its a great meat market, havent been there in a while.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:56 AM

363 posts, read 745,307 times
I would have to say it's from slow cooked pork butt, or commonly know as a boston butt. The same is used for BBQ pulled pork. Can be found at HEB anywhere and seasoned per your recipe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio