Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 02:28 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times

Advertisements

I had ridge vents installed on our home a couple of years ago after hail damage, and I can DEFINITELY say that they are worth it. Our electric bill went down almost 20 percent during the summer.

As for radiant barrier, I do believe that it is worth it as well. It purportedly deflects up to 80 percent of the heat away from your attic, resulting in up to 40 percent savings on your electric bill.

Another thing that might save you money in the long run is to install on of those flash hot water heaters that only heat the water when you are using it. They also have the added advantage of providing hot water almost immediately instead of having to let the water run for two or three minutes, resulting in water savings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 02:30 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
Spray-on is quicker for whoever is putting it up, but has proven to be less effective through experiments conducted. Sheets of the stuff, stapled to the inside of the rafters (3 1/2 inches below the decking) has proven to be most effective. It's sold by the roll - that's the price I mentioned above.

Age of the house doesn't matter. What experiments have proven to be most effective is the combination of soffit venting, radiant barrier stapled to the rafters a few inches below the decking, and ridge venting. The superheated air between the decking and radiant barrier will escape through the ridge vent and is replaced with cooler air from outside the attic space through the soffit vents.
I agree, the reflective material that is installed is much better than the spray painted stuff (IMO). It's a lot like aluminum foil from what I understand. And I forgot about the soffit vents. The more of those you have the better.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:41 PM

129 posts, read 512,874 times
Scuba Steve, Do you have any recs for someone putting in radiant barrier at that price?

Old 07-29-2009, 06:52 PM

1,740 posts, read 5,743,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
I had ridge vents installed on our home a couple of years ago after hail damage, and I can DEFINITELY say that they are worth it. Our electric bill went down almost 20 percent during the summer.

As for radiant barrier, I do believe that it is worth it as well. It purportedly deflects up to 80 percent of the heat away from your attic, resulting in up to 40 percent savings on your electric bill.

Another thing that might save you money in the long run is to install on of those flash hot water heaters that only heat the water when you are using it. They also have the added advantage of providing hot water almost immediately instead of having to let the water run for two or three minutes, resulting in water savings.
Radiant barrier DOES NOT deflect up to 80% of the heat away from your attic. I have heard that it drops your attic temp from 15-30 degrees depending on ventilation and type of radiant barrier used.

My parents had the spray on radiant barrier installed and I wasn't impressed. They have had a drop in electric bills, but they had ridge vents, 12" of new insulation, and new high efficiency windows done the same month the radiant barrier was sprayed in...so it is hard to say what had the biggest impact. The job that was done just doesn't look thick enough to cover and reflect out enough heat to do the job.

I have the radiant barrier decking - which costs me less than $500 when I built my house a year ago. I have no comparison of a house without the radiant barrier decking - but I know my current 3,214 square foot home costs less to keep at 78 than my last home which was 25 years old and only 1,732 square feet. Again - it is the combination of things, proper ventilation, insulation, radiant barrier and roof color that all adds up to energy efficiency.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:30 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,787,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAnativegirl View Post
Scuba Steve, Do you have any recs for someone putting in radiant barrier at that price?
I quoted the material only, which from the place I bought from was $135 per 1,000sqft (13.5 cents per square foot). That means you get to put it in for that price .

However, I do know the owner of a reputable company that can do the work - I can provide the info if you'd like. I did it myself because I do pretty much everything around the house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by banker View Post
Radiant barrier DOES NOT deflect up to 80% of the heat away from your attic. I have heard that it drops your attic temp from 15-30 degrees depending on ventilation and type of radiant barrier used.

My parents had the spray on radiant barrier installed and I wasn't impressed. They have had a drop in electric bills, but they had ridge vents, 12" of new insulation, and new high efficiency windows done the same month the radiant barrier was sprayed in...so it is hard to say what had the biggest impact. The job that was done just doesn't look thick enough to cover and reflect out enough heat to do the job.
The spray kind doesn't typically even meet the Department of Energy's definition for a radiant barrier. Another reason why I'm a huge fan of the regular kind...

Department of Energy Website:
http://www.energysavers.gov/your_hom.../mytopic=11680

Last edited by scuba steve; 07-29-2009 at 08:38 PM..

Old 07-29-2009, 08:52 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,665,638 times
Quote:
Spray-on is quicker for whoever is putting it up, but has proven to be less effective through experiments conducted. Sheets of the stuff, stapled to the inside of the rafters (3 1/2 inches below the decking) has proven to be most effective. It's sold by the roll - that's the price I mentioned above.

Age of the house doesn't matter. What experiments have proven to be most effective is the combination of soffit venting, radiant barrier stapled to the rafters a few inches below the decking, and ridge venting. The superheated air between the decking and radiant barrier will escape through the ridge vent and is replaced with cooler air from outside the attic space through the soffit vents.
Home Depot carries it:

Old 07-29-2009, 09:23 PM

1,740 posts, read 5,743,855 times
Quote:
I quoted the material only, which from the place I bought from was $135 per 1,000sqft (13.5 cents per square foot). That means you get to put it in for that price .

However, I do know the owner of a reputable company that can do the work - I can provide the info if you'd like. I did it myself because I do pretty much everything around the house.

The spray kind doesn't typically even meet the Department of Energy's definition for a radiant barrier. Another reason why I'm a huge fan of the regular kind...

Department of Energy Website:
Energy Savers: Radiant Barriers
Great link. Interesting about the spray on type not typically meeting the DOE's definition of a radiant barrier. It does seem that the foil you apply after market and the deck sheething with it preapplied seems to be the best method.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:53 PM
cwh

345 posts, read 945,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
Home Depot carries it:
Yes, but mail order is much cheaper Need order another roll and finish my attic. The first roll covered about 80% and dropped the attic temps significantly.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:41 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,787,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
Home Depot carries it:
Home Depot does carry it, but I remember it costing about $.5 / square foot. That's about 3X the cost from Radiant Guard, where I ordered it online. I have measured no performance difference between the kind from Home Depot and what you can buy from Radiant Guard. The Home Depot variety is more effective when used to wrap a hot water heater as the bubble wrap will improve heat retention in that situation. May also work as a pipe wrap but I haven't done a study yet.

Ain't engineering fun!

Old 07-30-2009, 02:38 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,176,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
radiant barriers are the new hot thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio