U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 03:12 AM

4,147 posts, read 7,223,426 times

Advertisements

If you are one to read your statements and can balance your check book go with Wells Fargo. If you can't do that then go with USAA their over draft polices are a little easier to swallow. Both banks will sell, sell, and sell! Wells Fargo seems to be better on service. At Wells Fargo you can go into a branch and talk to a LIVE person usually within 5-10 miles of your home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 10:01 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,318,580 times
USAA all the way. They notified me of some strange activity with my credit card a couple years ago and stopped the transaction immediately. Someone was using my number buying thousands of dollars worth of camera equip in NYC. They took care of everything even before the transaction was completed.

They website has always been great. Deposit at home has saved me gas and waiting in lines.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:53 AM

3,770 posts, read 7,275,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastontracks View Post
**** Wells Fargo.

USAA is top notch. I've had problems with Wells Fargo in the past with nonsense fee's.
Everytime I have gotten a ridiculous fee, I call them and they usually will reimburse it back to me the same day. Though it is a hassle to have to call, luckily it has only happened a few times.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:05 AM

5,142 posts, read 11,446,140 times
Oooh, I just saw USAA's website and they have an AMEX card with rewards. Sweet!
USAA will only be beneficial to those with military backgrounds even though I saw a billboard a while back that said there's more ways to join but the website says otherwise. Wells Fargo is available to all folks.
I think everyone's need is going to be different. At the end, you need to pick a bank that is closest to your home and/or work.

Last edited by skeet09; 08-06-2009 at 11:08 AM.. Reason: Added more

Old 08-06-2009, 12:53 PM

57 posts, read 143,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
I also will not do business with NFCU because of their old policy of only accepting Navy personnel that were stationed overseas. That was absolutely retarded since everyone in the Navy knows that the Real Navy is onboard ships and most of the people stationed overseas are only trying to escape sea duty. I'm sure that will spin up at least one person, but it's true. I have worked with several people that spent their entire entire Navy career not on a ship. and you could sign up for NFCU if you were on a ship and happened to run into one while on an overseas port call (that was what I was told, not 100% sure it's true), but that is still a load of bull doodoo. Any CU with the word Navy in it should serve Navy personnel stationed onboard ships, aka the Real Navy.
I don't understand the logic of only letting people open NFCU accounts overseas either, except maybe that they put them there for salty dogs like you when you pulled into port. Did you really expect them to put branches on the ships? There were a few places, stateside, where you could open accounts. I opened mine in Washington DC. (While I'll agree there were some that stayed overseas to avoid sea duty, some were restricted to shore due to their NECs, or they were females who served when there weren't many billets for them aboard ship. Some people also went on Special Ops to Afghanistan & Iraq. Yes, sailors should be at sea; however, we do need personnel overseas to support ships and aircraft operating in those areas, and for Special Ops.)

USAA: Don't bank with them, but auto/home insurance & mutual fund service has been great. I also got a BIG discount on a car rental last week!

Wells Fargo: Don't bank with them, but had minor dealings with them when we purchased a car. The dealership deposited some money in an account there for us (don't remember why). I just remember it taking them awhile to close that account. On another occasion, I tried opening an account for a Navy fundraiser and they made it very difficult, so I gave up.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:13 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,414,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
USAA will only be beneficial to those with military backgrounds even though I saw a billboard a while back that said there's more ways to join but the website says otherwise. Wells Fargo is available to all folks.
USAA Bank is open to residents of Bexar County. USAA Investment Co is open to anyone wth a pulse. It is P&C (property and casualty insurance) that is closed to all but military.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:59 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,814 posts, read 33,128,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post
USAA Bank is open to residents of Bexar County. USAA Investment Co is open to anyone wth a pulse.
USAA Bank is now open to anyone with a pulse, too. The quote below is from an article published June 2, 2009.

USAA gets aggressive (http://www.mysanantonio.com/business/USAA_gets_aggressive.html - broken link)

"Anyone can open deposit accounts at USAA Federal Savings Bank, but he or she must meet eligibility requirements linked to the military to receive the benefits of USAA membership."

Old 08-06-2009, 08:04 PM

2,355 posts, read 5,405,343 times
A friend who works at USAA told me that if you are not eligible for membership you are pretty much looked down at and you cannot have certain perks membeers have.

On the positive side I did get a great rate on a rental car thru their website.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:58 AM

69 posts, read 176,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsb057 View Post

Ask yourself would Wells Fargo or Bank of America remind you to review your life insurance? I didnt even think of my life insurance policy until the rep mentioned it.
no but they will sell you credit cards and HELs.

you dont need life insurance on a child. life insurance is designed to replace income so the family can go on. adults with dependents need 8-10X their annual income in LI, such that if they die and that amount goes in the bank, you can try to earn 8-10% on the money which will exactly replace the income.
babies dont have income nor anybody depending on them
sorry, you got sold a product by a salesman.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:06 PM

546 posts, read 1,312,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanski View Post
no but they will sell you credit cards and HELs.

you dont need life insurance on a child. life insurance is designed to replace income so the family can go on. adults with dependents need 8-10X their annual income in LI, such that if they die and that amount goes in the bank, you can try to earn 8-10% on the money which will exactly replace the income.
babies dont have income nor anybody depending on them
sorry, you got sold a product by a salesman.
A child may not need a policy now...but when he is 18 his policy is already established...My husband has Celiac Sprue disease..which is inherited along with diabetes which is also inherited. The cost of a policy for my husband is expensive...securing a policy while my child is young is smart in the event he should be diagnosed with something that could signifcantly impact his life... and could prevent him from being insurable in the future. i've seen where kids become disabled as a result of an auto accident and then the parents get stuck with the bills the kid dies and sure medical insurance will cover something but not all...then the parents are left with the bill...having some kind of insurance is better than not.

I dont see 0.49 cents a month for the next 18 years being a waste in securing my child with a policy that can be turned into funds later..

Already have plenty of savings and plan to have a smart start savings for my child as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio