U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 06:13 PM

2 posts, read 3,768 times

Advertisements

This is what scares me from moving to San Anton. Living here in San Diego, yes, the "cost of daily" livin is out there but the taxes are not there yet. I love my home state but taxes really dampen the full effect of leaving this expensive place to pay it another way but I LOVE TEXAS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2007, 06:41 PM

2 posts, read 3,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
The BCAD how has access to sale prices of homes and real property. anytime there is a sale, the property is apprased at the sale value. It used to be that they did not have that information and increased values by percentage. Now they go by sales prices of comps. in the area, if not the actual sales prices as registered in the court house.
Can't win.

You do know that the state requires the appraisal districts to appraise at 100% market value. Market value happens to be what a property would sell for. The state also sends in their own appraisers to audit the appraisal districts. If the appraisal district does not do as the state requires then the schools don't get the proper funding. I do agree that it isn't quite fair but what do you expect them to do when their hands are tied?

Old 09-20-2007, 06:51 PM

2 posts, read 3,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdreamin View Post
Is there any kind of exemption on land, or how do property taxes affect that? When do the notices go out to let you know how much you owe? Do you pay it in one lump sum, or what?
Most notices go out in May of each year. The notice only tells you what your estimated appraised value is. At that time, you have 30 days from the date your notice was mailed to protest. It is a good idea to fill out your protest form and get it back into the district. You usually have the option to talk with an appraiser and see if they can help do you don't have to go to a hearing. Contrary to popular belief, they will be willing to help if can can. If not, then you can continue to proceed to a hearing where a panel of board members will listen to both sides and decide if the value can be changed. The actual tax statements are issued by the tax office. Not the same as the appraisal district in a lot of cases. Statements are usually sent out in October of each year.

Old 09-21-2007, 12:19 AM

679 posts, read 2,603,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danijade View Post
Most notices go out in May of each year. The notice only tells you what your estimated appraised value is. At that time, you have 30 days from the date your notice was mailed to protest. It is a good idea to fill out your protest form and get it back into the district. You usually have the option to talk with an appraiser and see if they can help do you don't have to go to a hearing. Contrary to popular belief, they will be willing to help if can can. If not, then you can continue to proceed to a hearing where a panel of board members will listen to both sides and decide if the value can be changed. The actual tax statements are issued by the tax office. Not the same as the appraisal district in a lot of cases. Statements are usually sent out in October of each year.
Thanks for the information. I just seethe everytime I think about how people are getting so ripped off with these tax appraisals. I went to the appraisal district website and looked up different plots of land and the appraisals are so "willynilly". There can be one plot of land for, say 3 acres, appraised at $60 and then another plot of land, where the owner has owned it for a couple of years and it is also 3 acres and they appraise it at triple the value. I also saw where last year some people had land value of $25K and this year the appraisal went up 4-5 times that. Those poor people. As far as getting into people's pockets and not caring about its citizens being able to "make it", Texas is a very greedy state. I just feel really bad that people just sit back and "take it". Doesn't seem that the citizens try to fight to change things. It CAN be done. If they quadruple the value of my land on next appraisal...they will hear from my attorney.

Old 09-22-2007, 06:46 PM

679 posts, read 2,603,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdreamin View Post
As far as getting into people's pockets and not caring about its citizens being able to "make it", Texas is a very greedy state.
The quote below is also some of what I am talking about. Seems like Texas does so much to continuously get deep into the pockets of the citizens, without caring whether they can afford it or not. Lots of greed. Take, take, take and tax, tax, tax the citizens. I got this blurb out of MySA.com, where they were talking about the toll road issue.

But TxDOT also wants to set fees as high as motorists can stand, and some of the profits would leave town. So, the Alamo Regional Mobility Authority wants to put a lid on the rates and keep all profits to use on other projects.

They want to set the toll road rates as high as the motorists can stand. What does that tell you? One would think they'd start at a lower rate and adjust it up, over time...but nooooo...they want to put the rate as high as the motorists can tolerate, right off the bat. Squeeze every little dime they can until the motorists call uncle. If things are this bad when they haven't even got the toll roads built, just think of what the rates are going to be like if they don't put a cap on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio