U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 05:11 AM

174 posts, read 450,333 times

Advertisements

I may as well take advantage of the forum to ask the question that I have yet to find an answer for.....

I don't suppose anyone out there would happen to know where I could find a store locally that carries Snap-E-Tom? You know, the stuff that's like V8, only it tastes good?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2007, 05:29 PM

180 posts, read 94,177 times
I think it is very unfortunate that HEB dominates the SA market. While they are very nice stores, competition is key, and a monopoly in this size market is never good, no matter what the business (they can basically call the shots, name their own prices, etc). It's just not a good thing to have one store with that much market share.

This is also the problem with cable here, dominated by Time Warner.

Is there a reason why San Antonio doesn't have more competition?

Old 05-02-2007, 12:58 PM

37 posts, read 127,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wokinn View Post
HEB is very strong. They probably will take over Austin as well!
Shame on you! Don't even think such a horror.

Old 05-02-2007, 01:04 PM

2,651 posts, read 6,498,484 times
I don't understand why would you want to shop anywhere else but HEB? I have Tom Thumb, Kroger and Albertson's here in Dallas and I pine for an HEB and am waiting for the glorious day they open Dallas stores.

Old 05-02-2007, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sous777 View Post
I think it is very unfortunate that HEB dominates the SA market. While they are very nice stores, competition is key, and a monopoly in this size market is never good, no matter what the business (they can basically call the shots, name their own prices, etc). It's just not a good thing to have one store with that much market share.

This is also the problem with cable here, dominated by Time Warner.

Is there a reason why San Antonio doesn't have more competition?
In general (IMO) if something makes sense in any other large city in this state or country, then it doesn't happen in San Antonio. The lack of competition (as you mention) just adds to my list of why living in SA is like living in The Twilight Zone.

I have to say I am fortunate that now AT&T is offering their new U-verse at my apartment complex.

Old 05-02-2007, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
I don't understand why would you want to shop anywhere else but HEB? I have Tom Thumb, Kroger and Albertson's here in Dallas and I pine for an HEB and am waiting for the glorious day they open Dallas stores.
My experience has been: When I lived in Austin, I preferred going across the street (from HEB) and paying more at the Randallís for the sheer reason that I didn't feel like I was shopping in the ghetto. The Randallís was so much cleaner and nicer and had a better selection of the foods I wanted. I donít have 5 kids and need to buy in bulk the cheapest brand possible. I prefer quality food, organics, and healthier fare. Some new HEBs may be bigger and nicer, but not the ones near my home. I typically shop at the Lincoln Heights store, Austin Highway or Broadway (tiny and poorly organized).

Old 05-02-2007, 01:26 PM

2,651 posts, read 6,498,484 times
Lincoln Heights (former albertson's) and Austin Highway are all relatively new stores. You can find so much more there than you can at the Tom Thumb flagships ( Called Randalls in Austin). The albertson's here are tiny and OLD. There is a reason why HEB ran them out. I don't know I just don't get it HEB stores are much larger and their private brands are great.

Old 05-02-2007, 08:08 PM

180 posts, read 94,177 times
HEB is great. It's just that it's not good to only have ONE major food store in a city this large. Selective competition makes sure HEB stays on their game and doesn't falter or raise prices.

They could conceivably do whatever they want now that they run the entire market.

Old 06-03-2007, 02:04 AM

4 posts, read 9,628 times
I just have to echo some of the earlier posters. It really irritates me that HEB has over time reduced the number of name-brand products on its shelves and replaced them with the crappy house brands. Have you noticed that when name-brand and HEB-brand products are on a shelf side-by-side, the section with the name-brand products are often empty? People snap up the name-brand products cause they're not sure if they'll ever see them again! ; ) I used to shop at Albertson's and MUCH preferred their product offering, produce departments and general cleanliness/atmosphere. Anyone have any idea whether some other chain will rescue us from HEB's clutches?

Old 06-03-2007, 02:31 AM

7,180 posts, read 16,219,165 times
Wow, everyone I know in Austin is so happy to see Albertson's go! We love our HEB's. Besides the decent prices, the employees are much better, the lines are shorter (they don't have only 1 lane open, like Randall's, so many times!)... not to mention the produce and all the local items. And no stupid cards.

It just doesn't compare -- at Albertsons, Randalls, etc... nothing is fresh, because no one around here shops there. HEB ends up being not only the freshest, but the cheapest too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or