U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-03-2007, 05:51 AM

5,780 posts, read 8,990,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
I may as well take advantage of the forum to ask the question that I have yet to find an answer for.....

I don't suppose anyone out there would happen to know where I could find a store locally that carries Snap-E-Tom? You know, the stuff that's like V8, only it tastes good?

Until you find a source, you can try adding hot sauce to V8 Juice or check your local groceries for Spicy Hot V8 Juice. Also, talk to your grocery HEB manager - they are often willing to order products that they don't carry on their shelves. I ask for something and it is usually there within a 2 week timeframe! Hope this helps!!

IF you are military connected, the commissaries us to carry it...haven't checked in a while, but will look again next time I am there.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2007, 11:37 AM

8,642 posts, read 16,401,812 times
I remember snap e tom. I used to love that so much better than v-8. I'll keep my eye's open for it.

Old 11-28-2007, 01:19 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $84,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

14,634 posts, read 21,561,167 times
If Super Target had the selection that HEB does, I'd gladly go there all the time. I dislike the split-aisles (front-half , back half, not necessarily aligned) at HEB. They make the store so much more complicated to navigate than a store with long aisles. Plus the newer stores all seem to have a bottleneck at the entrance to the produce/bakery section.

I buy what I can at Super Target and the WalMart Supercenter. I also try to limit my trips to HEB to once a month for the items I can't get at the other stores.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,025 times
HEB has terrible meat, all the beef I bought was tough. Costco has incredible Beef. I am from NY, all Italian, and HEB's Whole Milk Ricotta is horrible it tastes like the worst Skim milk Ricotta I have ever tasted. I can not make any of my Italian recipes that call for Ricotta because they taste terrible. In NY Polly-O is the number 1 brand of Ricotta but other common brands like Breakstone are acceptable too.
There is another brand at HEB, but they only carry the Skim milk version.
I prey that another food chain comes to the New Braunfels area. I know a Whole Foods and Trader Joes opened in San Antonio. Maybe they will realize that New Braunfels is Growing in leaps and bounds, Buckees, opened their largest store here.

Old 07-09-2013, 04:48 PM

211 posts, read 143,530 times
I am definelty not a fan of HEB processed, smoked, precooked meats. The only thing I give them an "A" on is their market Chorizo and then they came out with it in those plastic tubes like all the other brands and it's not the same product. It's not awful but it is not nearly as good as the one that is packed in the trays with the plastic wrap. If they quit making that I'll go back to making my own. Their precooked briskets and ribs are awful, way over seasoned. Their bacon and link sausage is really nasty as far as I'm concerned. That sausage casing is so tough you have cut it with a knife, you can't even bite through it. Their uncooked marinated chicken and beef fajitas are okay but not worth the extra money, you can do the same yourself. If you are going to buy meat off the shelf I hope you know what you are doing because they tend to mix up a lot of lower grade meat in there. You have to look at what you're getting. I wish we still had Albertson's they were my favorite.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:36 PM

448 posts, read 306,982 times
Unhappy Progress

Something similar to this in San Antonio would be the small book stores that
are now mostly gone.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:50 PM

89 posts, read 86,082 times
Bored with HEB myself, but it's got monopolistic tendencies in this city, making it tough to really go anywhere else

Old 07-10-2013, 08:36 AM

1,882 posts, read 3,346,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfanizzi View Post
HEB has terrible meat, all the beef I bought was tough. Costco has incredible Beef. I am from NY, all Italian, and HEB's Whole Milk Ricotta is horrible it tastes like the worst Skim milk Ricotta I have ever tasted. I can not make any of my Italian recipes that call for Ricotta because they taste terrible. In NY Polly-O is the number 1 brand of Ricotta but other common brands like Breakstone are acceptable too.
There is another brand at HEB, but they only carry the Skim milk version.
I prey that another food chain comes to the New Braunfels area. I know a Whole Foods and Trader Joes opened in San Antonio. Maybe they will realize that New Braunfels is Growing in leaps and bounds, Buckees, opened their largest store here.
Costco beef and HEB beef come from the same supplier. The only difference is you have to buy more at one time at Costco.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:39 AM

774 posts, read 465,712 times
Are they the same grades though? I know Costco sells USDA Choice for most of their beef and Prime for a couple.
What grades does HEB have?

Old 07-10-2013, 12:43 PM

1,882 posts, read 3,346,341 times
You can usually get what ever grade you want from HEB but you might have to ask for it. HEB meat market managers will generally have there staff cut, wrap and put out for sale what they think will sell quickly based on the store demographics and past buying history. Some stores may have a practice of always having a good quantity of prime rib in their counters for example. At other stores you may have to ask to have a prime rib cut but there will be plenty of cheap meats available because that's what their customers want. But you can't make a fair comparison using prime cuts from one store and comparing them with value meats from another store. I think if you compare apples to apples you'll find HEB and Costco sell about the same meat. As far as fresh cut meat goes anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio