Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 09:14 PM

139 posts, read 362,170 times

Advertisements

Two days ago my boys found a tiny tiny kitten, no older than 6-7 weeks, hiding under our grill in our back yard. It was crying, we think it may have hurt its leg/shoulder trying to get under our fence fleeing the neighborhood gang of dogs. No noticeable injury, just will not use the leg.
We took it inside to get out of the heat, gave it water & food. (We have a cat). Since we can not keep this kitten unfortunately, my husband called around to various agencies, vets, etc, and he ended up being told to call animal control. He called them, and they said they would be out that afternoon or the next day, at the latest. Well, guess who is still here?
So, my question to you all is, who can I contact from here?
Or better yet, would anybody want an adorable kitten that needs a little TLC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 09:23 PM

546 posts, read 1,493,214 times
have you tried posting an ad on CL to see if anyone may want to take him in?

Old 08-07-2009, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsb057 View Post
have you tried posting an ad on CL to see if anyone may want to take him in?
I just did that tonight.
I have never used CL before, I hope it works out!

Old 08-07-2009, 11:13 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,666,070 times
No! Please do not give away an animal, especially a kitten, on CL without a rehoming fee!!! Or at all!!

Responding on my phone... Just google it-don't do it.

Old 08-08-2009, 02:19 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,263,980 times
ok, I googled "giving away an animal on craigslist" and came up with a couple possibilities. One is that it somehow encourages irresponsible behavior. Irresponsibility is given away for free all over the place these days, so I don't think an ad for a found kitten is going to impact it. Another suggested animal abusers use CL to get animals. I'm guessing I could find a Snopes.com article on that one.
I absolutely cannot stand breeders and people that sell animals. There are so many that need good homes because their owners were irresponsible *&U&!$'s. However, I think the OP is just looking for a good home for a little kitten so it doesn't have to go to a shelter and I think CL would be good for that.
I unfortunately cannot take in anything else.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:22 AM

14,637 posts, read 34,872,045 times
I've always heard it's a good idea to charge a rehoming fee to ensure that the animal isn't going to be used as bait in a dogfight. I paid $50 for my Basset hound off cl (easily the best 50 bucks I spent that year). I can see the thugs in this town (who use their pit bulls as penile extensions) using these innocent animals in such a way. The only problem is, some people are using cl to sell their backyard-bred animals under the guise of a "small rehoming fee of $200".....yeah right. This town needs an enema.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:43 AM

247 posts, read 840,383 times
Contact "SCAT", they operate out of Petsmarts in San Antonio.
I donate canned food & toys to them from time to time.
Denise who runs it and the volunteers really do a lot of great work.
Here is a list of other places to try:
San Antonio Area Animal Welfare Organizations (http://www.aapaw.org/organizations.cfm - broken link)

Old 08-08-2009, 10:12 AM

Yes, just really looking for a loving home. We would love to take this adorable kitten in, but we have a mature adult cat that DH is allergic to (found out after we took him in!) and a dog which doesnt do well with other animals...so this cat can not stay unfortunately!
I appreciate the help and advice here. I am leery of CL, is why I hesitated for a couple days. My daughter is trying through her network of friends too.

Old 08-08-2009, 02:26 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,666,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAL71 View Post
Yes, just really looking for a loving home. We would love to take this adorable kitten in, but we have a mature adult cat that DH is allergic to (found out after we took him in!) and a dog which doesnt do well with other animals...so this cat can not stay unfortunately!
I appreciate the help and advice here. I am leery of CL, is why I hesitated for a couple days. My daughter is trying through her network of friends too.
There are good people who look for animals on CL too I am sure, just be aware of course and look out for the little kitten it is relying on you.

The main issue that I though of RD was using kittens or small dogs as 'bait' for training dogs to fight. It is yet another sad side of dogfighting. You can google 'bait animals' plus 'dog fighting'.

Old 08-08-2009, 02:35 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,263,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
I've always heard it's a good idea to charge a rehoming fee to ensure that the animal isn't going to be used as bait in a dogfight. I paid $50 for my Basset hound off cl (easily the best 50 bucks I spent that year). I can see the thugs in this town (who use their pit bulls as penile extensions) using these innocent animals in such a way. The only problem is, some people are using cl to sell their backyard-bred animals under the guise of a "small rehoming fee of $200".....yeah right. This town needs an enema.
sounds like you're coming over to my side now.. the whole place hasn't gone down the crapper, but a lot of it sure has. and you're dead on with the extension thing. I work with one of those fools..
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1039 View Post
There are good people who look for animals on CL too I am sure, just be aware of course and look out for the little kitten it is relying on you.

The main issue that I though of RD was using kittens or small dogs as 'bait' for training dogs to fight. It is yet another sad side of dogfighting. You can google 'bait animals' plus 'dog fighting'.
ok, I didn't come up with that in my quick research, but that makes sense. and like sapph mentioned earlier, there are plenty of people here that are absolute idiots. I guess my brain just can't think at that level, which is not a bad thing I guess.
Most animals usually find a good home on here, so hopefully that will work and I know not everybody on CL is bad. I use it occasionally and I'm not bad, contrary to what some people think
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio