Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 10:00 PM

1,701 posts, read 4,103,322 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of a good veterinarian that doesn't charge an arm and a leg? One of the finest vets I ever knew recently retired, and the guy that took over his practice has modernized the place up, and REALLY raised prices!

I think veterinarians are getting way too greedy, and insist on way too many expensive and unnecessary tests and procedures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 10:15 PM

173 posts, read 596,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
Does anyone know of a good veterinarian that doesn't charge an arm and a leg? One of the finest vets I ever knew recently retired, and the guy that took over his practice has modernized the place up, and REALLY raised prices!

I think veterinarians are getting way too greedy, and insist on way too many expensive and unnecessary tests and procedures.
Dr. Gary Sartor at the VCA Animal Hospital on Iota is a gem (located on the northeast side right off of the wurzbach parkway at nacogdoches). Over the years, he has taken great care of our cats (all rescues with varying degrees of medical problems) and we would be completely lost without him. Great guy and the prices are very reasonable.

VCA Animal Hospital
11214 Iota Dr.
210-655-1373

Old 08-03-2009, 10:56 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,297,427 times
It would probably help to post what location you're looking for. Unless you don't mind driving all over of course.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:13 PM

I would prefer the north side, but I would consider just about anywhere in town.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:20 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,297,427 times
This is where I take my dogs: http://mysavet.com/

They are reasonably priced, professional, courteous, and very accommodating. I have one dog that gets Very stressed when she has to go in a vehicle and gets even worse when we end up at the vet, so they let me have her medicine refilled without constantly bringing her in.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:35 PM

107 posts, read 276,595 times
Becker Animal Hospital, on West near Hildebrand. Very compassionate and they don't push a lot of procedures. They put down a dog for us and handled it like losing the family member it was. They are also open 7 days a week, will stay there until everyone has been helped regardless of time, and will mail you free of charge your medication to save you a trip.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:28 AM

796 posts, read 3,040,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post

Out of curiosity, who is the vet that retired? I live in the North Central area as well and am still looking for a vet I like. I was told of one that is right off of S 281 close to Marshall Rd. I can't remember the name, I think it's Bulverde something. I was told he is an old country vet and it's not fancy inside, but neither are the fees. :O) I haven't had a chance to check him out, but I am hoping he is not the one who retired.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:30 AM

324 posts, read 1,305,120 times
The best Vet I've found so far is in Converse off fm78 near the walmart. Can't remember their name, but they are great and if you tell them ahead of time money is an issue they really work with you to do just what is needed and is best value.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:42 AM

9,843 posts, read 13,605,987 times
DeZavala-Shavano Veterinary Clinic

right across the street from Clark. It's the only place I would take my pets.

Old 08-04-2009, 04:46 PM

The vet that retired was Dr Jack Burchers of the Rigsby Animal Clinic on Rigsby near Loop 410. What a nice man he was! He took good care of my animals for many years. It was a 20 mile drive to his office from my house, but it was worth it. I have many nice stories, but this is my favorite: Once my dog's ear swelled up with fluid. He drained the fluid from it, gave me a prescription, and charged me $20. The next week, the ear was swollen up again. He drained it again, and charged me $5. He treated my friends and family's animals well, and inexpensively, too. He got a lot of north side business due to word of mouth from me, my friends, and family. He is sorely missed. I hope he's enjoying his well deserved retirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio