Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 12:41 AM

447 posts, read 1,573,161 times

Advertisements

The last time I went to Sea World and saw the whale show they had a little girl go up and get to pet the whale. My question is does anyone know how that kid is picked? Are they nominated? Any help would be great, I haven't found anything on Google. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 12:52 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,263,980 times
nobody but the trainers ever gets to touch any of the killer whales. They just get to go up and be on that thing with the trainer and it's just a random thing.
I used to think they got to touch the whale too, but my SeaWorld employee daughter set me straight. They're EXTREMELY protective of their animals, especially the killer whales, which is a good thing if you ask me.

the little kid part starts at around 16:12: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...L2393LDA&hl=en

they only do those things with their hands that makes the whales do the tricks.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:33 AM

427 posts, read 1,169,320 times
My son was actually picked to go up on stage and they do not get to pet the whales.

We were walking towards the stadium and a park employee approached us and asked if he wanted to be part of the show. It's basically a random choice by the employee.

My son had a blast!

Old 08-04-2009, 10:12 AM

796 posts, read 3,037,942 times
I could have sworn a long time ago they got to sit on the whale with the trainer holding on to them. This would b the first year that they opened. As a kid that seemed cool, but now that I am a mom, that is risky.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:35 AM

447 posts, read 1,573,161 times
First off thank you for the responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlamoCpl View Post
My son was actually picked to go up on stage and they do not get to pet the whales.

We were walking towards the stadium and a park employee approached us and asked if he wanted to be part of the show. It's basically a random choice by the employee.

My son had a blast!
Well if it is random maybe I can find someone to talk to. I'm taking a little girl and all she's ever wanted is to go to that show and really deserves it. Thanks again.

Old 08-04-2009, 06:17 PM

1,276 posts, read 3,810,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheermomof4girls View Post
I could have sworn a long time ago they got to sit on the whale with the trainer holding on to them. This would b the first year that they opened. As a kid that seemed cool, but now that I am a mom, that is risky.
I remember riding the elephants at the SA Zoo as a kid. Thinking back now and looking at the pictures I have of the zoo (from 30+ years ago).....it saddens me.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:31 PM

616 posts, read 2,073,682 times
I want to say that I remember back when they allowed that. We're talking the early, early 80s. I also remember when they let you ride the elephants at the circus too.

It's possible, though, that I'm imagining things about the zoo - sometimes it's hard to keep clear what you actually did as a young child and what others did or what you saw on tv.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:24 PM

1,366 posts, read 4,467,037 times
i do remember the elephant rides at the zoo --- i never got to do it, my parents never let me... and i also remember that kids used to take a picture with shamu --- this was back in 87-89, when i had a season pass --- and i think i remember the kids sitting on shamu as well, with the trainer holding onto them...hmmm...

Old 08-04-2009, 11:29 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,263,980 times
I can't imagine them letting kids sit on a killer whale. I mean think about the first part of their name, then look at the teeth on those suckers. They have that name for a reason
I did sit on an elephant at Busch Gardens Dark Continent in the 70's. It was a thrill for a kid, but now it seems more like animal cruelty in a way.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:14 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,881,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
I can't imagine them letting kids sit on a killer whale. I mean think about the first part of their name, then look at the teeth on those suckers. They have that name for a reason
Maybe that's the reason they stopped doing it!

Anyone else remember Orca?

Cheers! M2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio