U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 08:25 PM

872 posts, read 1,633,277 times

Advertisements

To be honest, I haven't tried to purchase a car under this program. That said, I have a couple of complaints to offer in hopes of some good discussion.

1. Unless you have bought a car under this program (even if you have) you should be upset that the government is using YOUR money to buy someone else a car. This is a classic example of wealth redistibution under the guise of a government program designed to "help".

2. Who do you think is really getting the money out of this deal? I'd argue that in most cases, it is the car dealers. If they suspect that you are going to get this money, you can bet that your price is closer to sticker price than you might otherwise be able to negotiate. So, the dealer sold you a car at a price higher than they might have otherwise sold it and the dealer got money from the government. You think you got a good deal because you got up to $4,500 "off".

Wake up America!

Old 08-04-2009, 08:34 PM

3,770 posts, read 7,275,434 times
uhhhhh sounds POLITICAL to me

Old 08-04-2009, 08:37 PM

1,893 posts, read 4,863,338 times
I think somebody should take the credit card away from the government. Especially when me, my kids and my grandkids are going to have to make the payments....with interest.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:06 PM

15,062 posts, read 19,628,583 times
Did you say that about the $8000 tax credit for new homebuyers?
The people that you support wanted to give $15,000

Isakson (R) proposal passes senate: $15,000 credit for new homebuyers (http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/stories/2009/02/05/isakson_stimulus_homebuyer.html - broken link)
Senator Johnny Isakson proposes legislation to encourage buyers
Georgia Senator Isakson finally wins support for $15,000 homebuyer tax credit

And the best one of all
Senate dilutes "Buy American" clause in stimulus, Oks tax break for homebuyers - Foxnews (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/02/04/economic-stimulus-tops-b-senate-approves-homebuyer-tax-break/ - broken link)

Last edited by Dopo; 08-04-2009 at 09:16 PM..

Old 08-04-2009, 09:08 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,356,445 times
If it gets people to give up their gas guzzlers and buy more fuel efficient cars, Great!

(I bought my hybrid in 2004, so don't benefit - though I did get a $1500 tax credit at the time - but that's ok)

And I suspect dealers are just happy to sell anything, rather than having cars sit on their lots or closing down dealerships.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:11 PM

5,633 posts, read 13,943,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
If it gets people to give up their gas guzzlers and buy more fuel efficient cars, Great!
Do you think, Chaka, that perhaps more people willa ctually be on the road DRIVING cars they otherwise woud've never have driven? Joe Blow down the street has 4 cars, and has a clunker. he sells the clunker he never drives and then now he has a brand new car. That's 5 cars on the street now. More traffic, more exhaust and more clunkers for the future.

I dunno, might be more harm than good.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:17 PM

3,823 posts, read 13,348,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wc2005 View Post
To be honest, I haven't tried to purchase a car under this program. That said, I have a couple of complaints to offer in hopes of some good discussion.

1. Unless you have bought a car under this program (even if you have) you should be upset that the government is using YOUR money to buy someone else a car. This is a classic example of wealth redistibution under the guise of a government program designed to "help".

2. Who do you think is really getting the money out of this deal? I'd argue that in most cases, it is the car dealers. If they suspect that you are going to get this money, you can bet that your price is closer to sticker price than you might otherwise be able to negotiate. So, the dealer sold you a car at a price higher than they might have otherwise sold it and the dealer got money from the government. You think you got a good deal because you got up to $4,500 "off".

Wake up America!
I could apply your logic to other government programs:

The $8,000 credit for first time home buyers. Why should I help you buy a house? No one helped me on this.

Child Tax Credit of $1,000. Once again, why should I have to help pay for your children? I didn't get this when we had kids.

Earned Income Credit. Why should I have to pay for someone to get more money from the government than they paid in? That's not an income tax, it's an income gift.

Large banks and insurance company bailouts. Why should I have to pay to get them out of trouble and they turn around and give huge bonuses to their employees?

Do you see where I'm coming from? This program is basically no different.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:19 PM

15,062 posts, read 19,628,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
I could apply your logic to other government programs
I didn't want to bring this up...
but I've heard that our tax money have built some pretty nice schools and roads in other countries.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:21 PM

3,823 posts, read 13,348,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I didn't want to bring this up...
but I've heard that our tax money have built some pretty nice schools and roads in other countries.
Don't remind me...we're still paying for nice schools here in the Northside School District!

Old 08-04-2009, 09:24 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,336,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
Do you think, Chaka, that perhaps more people willa ctually be on the road DRIVING cars they otherwise woud've never have driven? Joe Blow down the street has 4 cars, and has a clunker. he sells the clunker he never drives and then now he has a brand new car. That's 5 cars on the street now. More traffic, more exhaust and more clunkers for the future.

I dunno, might be more harm than good.
There will always be people who take advantage of the system. Most people, though, only own one car per head, and if they own a gas guzzler, this program is all the better.

As for the redisturbution of wealth, we subsidize farmers to not grow crops and gave over $8 billion of subsidies to oil companies last year, even though they posted record profits. The government has been in the business of redistributing wealth for quite some time. It's just a matter of to whom they redistribute the wealth to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio