U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2009, 02:25 PM

5 posts, read 21,371 times

Advertisements

my 6 year old son and i are planning to move to san antonio next summer, 2010. I currently live in memphis, TN. in my research i see that there isn't that much of a difference in the cost of living. i'm still in research mode and need some help on a few items:

1. what is the best school district?

2. what are the safest areas of town? no place is really safe but what area has the lowest crime rates. from reading different blogs, it looks like north (east and west) is safest.

3. my son is into football and basketball. what are some of the community leagues?

4. what are the better private schools, christian?

5. is traffic coming out of loop 1604 bad?

6. everytime i've visited it's been during the summer months. Degree wise, how mild are the winters?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 02:29 PM

4,263 posts, read 9,690,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpresley View Post
my 6 year old son and i are planning to move to san antonio next summer, 2010. I currently live in memphis, TN. in my research i see that there isn't that much of a difference in the cost of living. i'm still in research mode and need some help on a few items:

2. what are the safest areas of town? no place is really safe but what area has the lowest crime rates. from reading different blogs, it looks like north (east and west) is safest.

3. my son is into football and basketball. what are some of the community leagues?

6. everytime i've visited it's been during the summer months. Degree wise, how mild are the winters?

Here you go...same ol' questions...same ol' answer:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...index-san.html

Old 08-05-2009, 02:33 PM

5 posts, read 21,371 times
thanks, didn't see that

Old 08-06-2009, 03:43 PM

1,893 posts, read 4,862,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpresley View Post

This is understandably a very common question on this board. I can cut to the chase and summarize 95% of the replies. Most, if not all, of the replies on where you should live will contain the following criteria. At least outside Loop 410 preferably outside Loop 1604. If west of SA then you will need to be north of Hwy 90. If east of SA then north of IH10. This basically gives you 180 degrees of a 360 degree circle in which to find suitable housing. You may hear some recommendations about some small upscale neighborhoods north of downtown. Only venture inside Loop 410 if you have to go downtown. Unfortunately this is where you'll have to go for jury duty.

The southern hemisphere of this circle is thought to be inhabited by murderers, gangs, thieves, sex offenders, the unemployed, the uneducated, unwashed, and undone. Not to mention the other ner-do-wells and layabouts. So, as long as your annual income is at least in the $200K range, just toss a dart at the SA map and aim high.

I hope your son is willing to become a Cowboy's fan. Although by 2010 we will probably have our own NFL team. There coming you know, at least that's what I hear.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:15 AM

2 posts, read 10,601 times
Lytle Texas Is Smal Town & Nice About 30mi. Aaway From San Antonio We Have Live Hear About 4Mo. Now & We Also Move Hear From Smyrna Tennessee Next To Nashville!!!! Hope You Can Find place & God Bless You Guys!!!

Old 01-25-2010, 01:19 AM

2 posts, read 10,601 times
I Also Now Little FootBall Team For 5 & 6 Year-Old In San Antonio Tx.!!!

Old 01-25-2010, 07:54 AM

5,142 posts, read 11,443,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
The southern hemisphere of this circle is thought to be inhabited by murderers, gangs, thieves, sex offenders, the unemployed, the uneducated, unwashed, and undone. Not to mention the other ner-do-wells and layabouts.
I live in the Southern hemisphere. I'm not a murderer (unless you count video games), gangs (do Facebook groups count?), thieves (on video games again), sex offenders ( I'm married...No!), unemployed (same ol' job for 3 1/2 years), the uneducated (bachelor's degree recipient) , unwashed (I took a shower last night), undone (?).
So OP you can find the negative bunch in any area of S.A. I live in the Southside and I live in a middle class area. I'm pretty safe and I don't worry about my safety at any time.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:07 AM

1 posts, read 4,876 times
this goes for ttpresley...as u can see south of san antonio is much Quieter..than the NW side..Watch the News..All you hear now is..NW,,Nw..Nw..and Westside. Yeah Southern of 410 Loop.(san antonio) was bad in the past.. But everyone Moved the West and ***Northwest Side** where All the Goodies are...(robberys) Not ever Gated Comunitties are safe... just Watch the News... i came fromt he Navy and i lived in a small town of San Antonio.when i was out i came to San Antonio..Analyzed the Permiter...and Yes the North. and Northwest are...Getting Worse..... like i said...Watch the New..ch.4,5 12.. local..channels...... i was born in Mexico...lol.......and the U.S..Lifestyle..well pretty much going to....****.. BE safe and be aware of yoursurrounding.....

Last edited by Bo; 03-19-2010 at 09:27 AM.. Reason: one word: If you must use that word, spell it correctly so that City-Data's banned-word filter can type it for you.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:14 AM

1 posts, read 4,963 times
I raised my daughters in the NE part of San Antonio near Randolph AFB and Ft Sam. The schools are very good. Fox Run elementary is an excellent elementary school. I just moved from my home since my daughters are grown and I have a house for sale or rent. The neighbors are awesome and always looked out for me and the girls. Single parent also.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:14 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,176,830 times
The "Green Zone" in San Antonio is north of 410 in between I-10W and 281N. If you dont believe me.....just try driving outside this area and see if that is for you( and keep your windows rolled up). Good Luck and Welcome to SA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or