U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 04:41 PM
Status: "The blue mat is obsessed with me. Whyyyy??" (set 7 days ago)

13,648 posts, read 22,069,269 times

Advertisements

Chicago is way cooler than Seguin. Way. I'm thinking if I were the "decider" I'd probably need to visit one of these exotic locales that actually has a successful light-regulating policy, just to make sure it really works. It's too quick and easy and cheap to get to Seguin, and their pizza sucks. I'm goin' to Chicago instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 04:58 PM

13,805 posts, read 19,043,105 times
smart lights cost a little more and this city rarely spends a dime on anything the average person can actually use. I've already mentioned how they love to waste a ton of it on the fringe few that should pay for it themselves.
Driving down the Lackland portion of Military on my way home in the morning is an exercise in frustration. I hit almost all the lights and usually for no reason. What should take about three minutes ends up taking about five and wastes a lot of gas. V-8's like to keep going, not stopping and going and stopping and going and stopping and going..
before anyone mentions not getting a V-8; it's my truck, my decision, my money, and my preference. thanks

Old 08-12-2009, 05:21 PM

3,096 posts, read 4,083,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Chicago is way cooler than Seguin. Way. It's too quick and easy and cheap to get to Seguin, and their pizza sucks. I'm goin' to Chicago instead.
Well, of course. You didn't have to tell me that twice! If it takes a trip to Chicago to stop you all complaining about traffic, then I'm all for it...but then someone would complain that it's a "waste of money."

Old 08-12-2009, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
smart lights cost a little more and this city rarely spends a dime on anything the average person can actually use. I've already mentioned how they love to waste a ton of it on the fringe few that should pay for it themselves.
Driving down the Lackland portion of Military on my way home in the morning is an exercise in frustration. I hit almost all the lights and usually for no reason. What should take about three minutes ends up taking about five and wastes a lot of gas. V-8's like to keep going, not stopping and going and stopping and going and stopping and going..
before anyone mentions not getting a V-8; it's my truck, my decision, my money, and my preference. thanks
Stop there just one second....two minutes! Holy cow. It's a life or death situation! (obvious sarcasm) Oh my goodness. I know it adds up, I sit in traffic too. But two minutes? You're complaining about two minutes?

And we've also moved from the original topic to just complaining about traffic in general....just fyi.

Old 08-12-2009, 05:27 PM
Status: "The blue mat is obsessed with me. Whyyyy??" (set 7 days ago)

13,648 posts, read 22,069,269 times
Two extra minutes on that little stretch of road is ridamndiculous. You complain about people not buying your used, smoky clothes and we don't bag on you, so run along now.

Old 08-12-2009, 05:30 PM

13,805 posts, read 19,043,105 times
It was IRT dumb traffic lights, ergo pertinent.
BTW, that was a 66% increase in time required and only covered one small portion of the city. I also get to deal with them when I reach 1604. So the only safe portion of my trip is a couple miles on 90.
Most of the lights here are dumb or on timers that don't take into account holidays, school breaks, and days of the week. It all adds up to a huge waste of gas.

Old 08-12-2009, 05:31 PM

4,263 posts, read 7,122,299 times
Quote:
Two extra minutes on that little stretch of road is ridamndiculous. You complain about people not buying your used, smoky clothes and we don't bag on you, so run along now.
Yeah..beat it.

Old 08-12-2009, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Wasn't complaining about the clothes, just part of the the experience at Plato's closet.

Continue your complaining...

Old 08-15-2009, 11:34 PM

872 posts, read 1,103,475 times
Saw it again today at around 2 PM...not rush hour and on Saturday...traffic going northbound was backed up from Braun Road all the way to Shanefield. These traffic lights need to go away!!!

Old 08-16-2009, 10:41 AM

1,303 posts, read 2,352,287 times
Lightbulb Build Turnarounds on 1604

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc2005 View Post
Saw it again today at around 2 PM...not rush hour and on Saturday...traffic going northbound was backed up from Braun Road all the way to Shanefield. These traffic lights need to go away!!!
As it's been mentioned before, increasing the turnarounds and making all entrances onto 1604 be 'right-turn only' would eliminate the stoplights. Overall, we'd all save fuel if this was added to 1604 and it would only be a FRACTION of the cost of bridges.

If the median's between Bandera and Shanefield were used to build the turnarounds, all traffic that wanted to reverse direction could use a (left) slowdown lane and then use the turnaround and have plenty of lane going the other direction to speed up again (merging from the left). To make this work, the speed limit would have to probably be 45 mph but going a predictable speed of 45 mph from Bandera to Shanefield would be greatly appreciated.

Also the frontage roads near Shanefield have been shut down. And the frontage road going to Shanefield stops just short of the McD/gas station. This would help alleviate some of the traffic - we've already paid for that road to be built - let's use it.

On 1604, at LEAST TxDOT could build a northbound lane separate from the Shanefield drivers turning north - see link to see how this could easily be done. There is tons of room on the north side route to expand a little. destin, fl - Google Maps

Last edited by johnsonkk; 08-16-2009 at 11:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio