U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-08-2009, 05:30 PM

8,278 posts, read 12,173,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
The Dominion overpass is completely unrelated to the traffic congestion on y'alls side of town. The overpass by the dominion was built so the Domnion could be incorporated in to San Antonio proper and so emergency services could reach the area. Found the article
Sorry, but I call 'BS' on that one! There are two underpasses at Camp Bullis Road and in Leon Springs which are a total of 3.2 miles apart. The entrance to the Dominion is almost at the halfway point, meaning the distance saving is a whopping 1.6 miles! For $20M+, that ridiculous and an extreme waste of taxpayer's money!

Secondly, this particular section of 1604 (from Culebra to Bandera Road) was never designed to have stoplights on it (same over near West Creek). TXDOT claimed it ran out of money, which is a cop out; and the fact that the money went to the IH-10 overpass at the Dominion is the result of some underhanded action...

Earlier this year the Texas Transportation Commission had discretion over $1.5 billion in federal stimulus funds to be used for Texas highway projects, this should have been one of them but once again, the ball was dropped. As such, those who live in this area continue to suffer.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 06:08 PM

2,847 posts, read 3,540,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Sorry, but I call 'BS' on that one! There are two underpasses at Camp Bullis Road and in Leon Springs which are a total of 3.2 miles apart. The entrance to the Dominion is almost at the halfway point, meaning the distance saving is a whopping 1.6 miles! For $20M+, that ridiculous and an extreme waste of taxpayer's money!

Secondly, this particular section of 1604 (from Culebra to Bandera Road) was never designed to have stoplights on it (same over near West Creek). TXDOT claimed it ran out of money, which is a cop out; and the fact that the money went to the IH-10 overpass at the Dominion is the result of some underhanded action...

Earlier this year the Texas Transportation Commission had discretion over $1.5 billion in federal stimulus funds to be used for Texas highway projects, this should have been one of them but once again, the ball was dropped. As such, those who live in this area continue to suffer.
Did you read the article I posted that went with it? There were issues with the project, no doubt, but the infrastructure around the Dominion, much like the infastructure around the 1604/Braun area (that this post was originally about) is all very dated (I'm talking late 70s early 80s). It needed to be updated..and funds were directed that way...but it only took close to twenty years. Just wait your turn,

And I'll bet you $5 no stimulus money was used to complete the Dominion road construction because it was complete (or near completion) well before the Bill passed) and not to bring too much of a political view in here, but the stimulus money is slow to come and if you really think stimulus funding is going to come to your area quickly I think that's far fetched. There are plenty of streets in the city that lack drainage, sidewalks, and proper ground work that have been pushed ahead of expanding the westside lanes of 1604, no matter how painful it is.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:49 PM

418 posts, read 799,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvlpr View Post
The city can charge an impact fee and use the money for regional traffic infrastructure. But a couple of points:

1. Impact fees aren't really "paid for" by developers - they're simply passed along to the people who buy the homes. Also, since developers have to (essentially) finance the cost of those fees (most fees are paid "up front"), market economics dictate that we make a profit on that cost. It's not a very efficient way to pay for public infrastructure.
It is much more efficient than the system we have now. Over building is very inefficient.

Downtown has empty schools, empty roads, public transportation, and low property values. Instead, we are wasting money on an endless cycle of building new schools, new roads, new malls.

If home buyers and developers can't afford to build the roads and facilities they are "impacting", it shouldn't be built. Taxes should be used for maintenance, not construction.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:47 PM

1,720 posts, read 2,691,189 times
Quote:
Did you read the article I posted that went with it? There were issues with the project, no doubt, but the infrastructure around the Dominion, much like the infastructure around the 1604/Braun area (that this post was originally about) is all very dated (I'm talking late 70s early 80s). It needed to be updated..and funds were directed that way...but it only took close to twenty years. Just wait your turn,

And I'll bet you $5 no stimulus money was used to complete the Dominion road construction because it was complete (or near completion) well before the Bill passed) and not to bring too much of a political view in here, but the stimulus money is slow to come and if you really think stimulus funding is going to come to your area quickly I think that's far fetched. There are plenty of streets in the city that lack drainage, sidewalks, and proper ground work that have been pushed ahead of expanding the westside lanes of 1604, no matter how painful it is.

LOL... hes talking about Taxpayer's money, you know, money that comes out our pockets when we fill up at gas stations, Registration, Insurance, Traffic Offenses etc...

dont tell me Tim Duncan payed for it.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:05 PM

8,278 posts, read 12,173,078 times
Quote:

For one, if they (TXDOT) had 20 years to think about it, they should've realized that it wasn't necessary and the funds could have been used more productively elsewhere. I don't care what the justification was then or now, there was absolutely no reason for a $20M overpass to be put in at the Dominion. There wasn't one then, and there isn't one now!

Secondly, my reference to the "stimulus" money--which svg210 aptly pointed out is the same tax dollars the Federal government squeezes out of us already--has been identified as a possible source of funds for the 1604/281 proposal (yet another well-thought-out intersection). If someone is going to bother proposing uses for the so-called "stimulus" money (a great idea by the government to spend its way out of debt! ), then why isn't TXDOT asking for the funds to build 1604 as it should have been?

Well, I will tell you my theory, and it is called the Loop 1604 North Tollway Project! In 2003, TxDOT evaluated all Loop 1604 freeway improvements for possible tolling. The evaluation showed that the anticipated traffic volumes along 1604 made it quite suitable for tolling, so per the Transportation Commission's order, the projects were reclassified as a toll facility and plans were made to incorporate toll lanes into the designs.

But they can't turn a road built by taxpayer's money into a toll road, it has to be sourced through other means. In 2004, a consortium consisting of local construction giant Zachary and the Spanish infrastructure company Cintra, which were working together on a bid to operate one of the Trans Texas Corridor projects, submitted an unsolicited bid to TxDOT to build the Loop 1604 tollway projects, as well as the 281 toll project, in return for a 50-year lease to operate the tollways.

The Cintra-Zachary bid not only paid for construction and subsequent maintenance and operation of both roadways (which freed state funding for other projects), it also paid a large concession fee to the state (which could also be used to fund other projects). Based on those merits, the Cintra-Zachary bid was accepted in early 2005 and work started on the 281 project later that year. A subsequent lawsuit resulted in TxDOT canceling the Cintra-Zachary contract.

In 2007, the Texas Legislature passed a moratorium on nearly all new privately built and/or operated toll roads and passed legislation requiring that local Regional Mobility Authorities be given the right of first refusal on toll projects in their jurisdiction. The Alamo Regional Mobility Authority (ARMA), which was established by Bexar County in 2003, subsequently opted to take control of both the 281 and 1604 toll projects and has put forth a $1.8 billion plan to upgrade and expand the entire northern arc of Loop 1604 from Military Dr. on the west all the way over to I-10 on the east (source for all of the above).

As such, do you really expect the state to put money in a road that it is trying to turn into a toll road? I will bet you $5 that those toll roads won't have major intersections in them like 1604 does now! It is all a way to justify and fund these new toll roads!

Lastly, how can you state "There are plenty of streets in the city that lack drainage, sidewalks, and proper ground work that have been pushed ahead of expanding the westside lanes of 1604, no matter how painful it is" in the same post that you justify the $20M Dominion overpass on IH-10? Tell me how many of those projects could have been funded with that money? Please don't tell me you think that the people who live in the Dominion deserve it more!

Old 08-08-2009, 10:52 PM

2,847 posts, read 3,540,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post

Lastly, how can you state "There are plenty of streets in the city that lack drainage, sidewalks, and proper ground work that have been pushed ahead of expanding the westside lanes of 1604, no matter how painful it is" in the same post that you justify the $20M Dominion overpass on IH-10? Tell me how many of those projects could have been funded with that money? Please don't tell me you think that the people who live in the Dominion deserve it more!
What's you're failing to see is that the Dominion project was mandated when it was annexed years ago so emergency crews could reach the area. It has nothing to do with traffic congestion. It's like comparing apples to oranges. At least in my eyes. All of that was outlined in the WOAI article. And I did mention that I was upset that it did cost a lot over the budget to finish up the project.

We're obviously not going to agree on the topic, and I'm sorely outnumbered in my opinion (and will always be) so I might as well just let it be.

Old 08-08-2009, 11:19 PM

224 posts, read 566,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvlpr View Post
You're not "screwing up the flow of traffic". You ARE the traffic!

Yes, there are taxes assessed at the pump for state highways & roads. But that's the point - there's just not enough money to pay for all this stuff. That's the whole point. We can't continue to build things the way we have.

And if you think the Kay Bailey is gonna make things better.....well..don't hold your breath.......
Money to maintain and build our roads has been wasted. When times were good the revenue generated that should have sat in a road fund was spent by our government on other non road related projects. This is the problem...govt taking revenue that should be for roads as using it for something else....hmmm just like social security.

Old 08-08-2009, 11:24 PM

3,823 posts, read 9,534,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe123456 View Post
Money to maintain and build our roads has been wasted. When times were good the revenue generated that should have sat in a road fund was spent by our government on other non road related projects. This is the problem...govt taking revenue that should be for roads as using it for something else....hmmm just like social security.
Yeah, pay back the $2+ trillion "borrowed" from Social Security, AND keep your hands out of the till!

Old 08-09-2009, 12:46 AM

13,805 posts, read 17,897,071 times
and stop wasting funds on artsy fartsy crap. Most of us could care less about that garbage and almost all of us drive on the streets and highways. Stop appealing to a couple of loud-mouthed whiners and actually listen to the people for a change. oh yeah, get rid of the corruption too..

Old 08-09-2009, 10:12 AM

824 posts, read 1,075,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrlatsha View Post
No, he thinks he is.
And what information have you ever contributed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio