Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 02:32 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,553,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
OK....given that this MAY have been an innocent situation, it seems that point that is disturbing is that the PARENTS aren't even mentioned. THAT is the sad part. Maybe the grandparents were negligent as the childs guardian, but it's possible that they just acquired their grandson and didn't have the right protections in place or even understood what he was capable of. He may have been a latch key child before moving in with g-pa....and latch key kids know early how to get around without mom or dad. And there we are again.....WHERE IS MOM OR DAD? That's the missing equation here.

Guess I don't see why that matters. Grandpa is guardian. He's the responsible one. He probably never in a million years imagined the kid could get out (as is clear from all the perfect parents on here whose child would never ever open a door on their own). The circumstances which led to grandpa having custody could be bad parenting, or could be unfortunate circumstances such as having lost them to a car crash or illness or any number of other things. And that could have been yesterday or 2 years ago. Most people clearly believe they would never let this happen. Very good chance the grandpa thought the same.

Why is it so important where the biological parents are? Lots of orphans out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 03:32 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,553,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Again we disagree. If you mean "helps" in helping understand....that doesn't make sense. You mentioned the parents may have been in an unfortunate accident. In that case, the grandparents may have had to assume responsibility while being completely unprepared. They may not have known what the boys habits are, their house may not be secure for young children. That kind of information would HELP take a little heat off the grandparent. I have never said he was negligent. I have maintained that there is not enough information.....which is the ONLY thing you seem to acknowledge in your last sentence. So maybe you do agree with me .
Ok, I agree with you there. I was coming at it from a different perspective because I didn't think, based on what we know, the grandparent deserved any heat.

Most of us don't know what our kid could do, until they actually try to do it, even if we watch them 24/7 like a hawk. (I didn't realize mine could unlock the chocolate cabinet, heck I didn't even realize she knew where the key was...but of course she watched me put it away, I just didn't think she was aware enough to know what I was doing. I have since learned not to underestimate her )

Old 08-10-2009, 03:54 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,553,385 times
A very sad ending to another toddler out of bed at 4 am:

Family finds toddler's body in backyard pool | WOAI.COM: San Antonio News

Old 08-10-2009, 04:19 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,779,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
It has nothing to do with being a perfect parent. It has everything to do with awareness. I don't make excuses for parents who let their kids drown, leave them in the backseat by mistake, or escape at night. Um, are you parenting, or just hangin' out with friends? Is NO ONE accountable anymore?
Oh my god, really? Accidents happen. We're not talking about an infant or a baby. We're talking about a small child who can walk and talk. No parent has their eye on their 4,5 6 or 7 year old 24/7. And to bash a parent or a guardian because of an accident or some innocent incident is basically confirming that you have no children or are never around them. When you have a 4 year old, we'll let you be Miss Perfect when watching them.

Bottom line, accidents happen. The boy got the keys, opened the door and left. You finding fault with his grandparents is upsetting.

Old 08-10-2009, 04:38 PM

317 posts, read 1,750,836 times
Thank goodness nothing happened to this child on the way out to the HEB- like being kidnapped or hit by a car, etc.- and he is safe. I have to be honest- I would expect maybe a teenager to try sneaking out at 4am, but not a four year old. I would have never imagined that, even when mine were small. Now I know. Hopefully the news of this event will help all parents/grandparents/guardian awaken to the possibility that it could be them dealing with this.

As far as where are his parents, why is grandpa guardian- this really bothers me. At least someone in his family is there to trying to take care of the child. I lost my best friend 4 weeks ago. She choked while eating dinner, and could not be saved. She left behind 4 children. With her husband being totally+ permanently disabled from a recent accident, the courts are still deciding who will take care of the children full time because dad cannot. Shockingly, not everyone you think will be there for your kids if you leave this earth really step up to do it. Let the state investigate and make sure everything is safe at home for the boy to live with grandpa, and take precautions that this doesn't happen again. Let the public remember that not every grandparent has guardianship of a child because the parents dumped them off to party. For whatever reason the parents aren't there, hopefully someone that loves them IS.

Old 08-10-2009, 04:41 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,130,639 times
When I worked at drive in theatres, it was almost common for parents to leave without their children. It happened a few times a month! Once, some parents left a one year old toddler. He was with me for over an hour. The last show was 15 minutes from ending, and I was about to call the police when his parents came to the door frantic! They had gotten all the way home before they did a child head count and realized he was gone!

Funny, the location of this HEB is the site of the old Varsity Drive In!!

Old 08-10-2009, 04:59 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,805,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
When I worked at drive in theatres, it was almost common for parents to leave without their children. It happened a few times a month! Once, some parents left a one year old toddler. He was with me for over an hour. The last show was 15 minutes from ending, and I was about to call the police when his parents came to the door frantic! They had gotten all the way home before they did a child head count and realized he was gone!

Funny, the location of this HEB is the site of the old Varsity Drive In!!
And Joe Anthony's "Mr Pizza". None of this surprises me!! Didn't read the story so not drawing conclusions in this case. Having worked all over this town for many years I've seen it all!! I can't count how many times I saw infants or toddlers in diapers in front yards with no parent in sight. No fences and busy streets. I miss the old Varsity and Jim's Frontier at Culebra and Bandera.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:16 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,130,639 times
We ran screen ads for Mr Pizza at the Varsity for YEARS! We also ran ads for Paul Huizar Motors. The Varsity was definitely one of my favorite drive in theatres.

The drive in where the 1 year old toddler was left was the Varsity's biggest competitor, the Capitan at Old Hwy 90 @ 36th.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:21 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,983,094 times
Another example of parents not taking care of their kids

Mom busted at nightclub after kids found home alone | WOAI.COM: San Antonio News

Old 08-10-2009, 05:28 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,178,016 times
When I worked seasonally for Toys R Us, there was special training on what to do when parents decide to use the cashiers as baby sitters while they shop in the malls across from the store.

This was in Frisco, Texas. It happens more than people think considering they feel the need to include it with their new associate training.

Selfish mindless crazy people who do it on purpose let alone by mistake, is just sick. These are the people who didn't kill off their offspring by letting them bake in the hot car all day, this must be what happens when that doesn't work.

Grrrrr
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio