U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 12:36 AM

58 posts, read 174,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by winst0n View Post
i like driving around olmos park... nice big old world houses/mansions...

the thing with stone oak/sonterra/canyon golf/big springs/greystone/pinnacle, like the dominion, most of subd are gated and with security guards so you can't just go in and see the nicer homes... the ones that are not gated and the ones you see from the roads when driving are the smaller/regular looking houses... mountain lodge have also nice looking houses... but again gated...

ahhh..I didn't think of that...the gated areas..of course! I will have to just wait behind a car going in so I can take a look

And as for your other post...I completely agree with everything you said. My family really cares what people think of them and they find it important to have the flashiest car or nicest house. Frankly, I'm so different from all of them...I could have been adopted! Every time I see my mom...the first thing out of her mouth is something about my appearance. "Put some make-up on...you need a tan....eat more.... your legs are too skinny" hahaha I swear I need therapy!

Old 04-26-2007, 12:46 AM

3,107 posts, read 8,200,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taraaa17 View Post
"Put some make-up on...you need a tan....eat more.... your legs are too skinny" hahaha I swear I need therapy!
I just had to laugh at this because my mom would be saying it this way:

"Put some make-up on...don't get so dark...eat less...your arms are getting fat." All that while shoving more Filipino food in my direction.

But when it comes to cars? My parents were mortified when they discovered my brother had bought a BMW upon moving to Houston. They thought it was too much of a "show off" car.

You COULD tell your mom that the REALLY wealthy San Antonians live behind those gates at the Dominion, etc...and only take their junker cars (Toyotas, Hondas, Fords, Chevys) beyond the gates.

BTW - I worked at Saks downtown p/t when I graduated from school. I worked in the men's department and had David Robinson, Sean Elliott & some other Spurs as regular customers. I think they were the most entertaining customers I ever had.

ETA: Now that I think about it, don't most of the exclusive gated communities have huge 4-6 car garages? Wouldn't most cars be in the garage and not parked on streets or driveways? I don't know that you'd actually see a lot of luxury cars out anyway!

Old 04-26-2007, 12:48 AM

2 posts, read 7,671 times
Wait...she's fretting over the type of cars that other people drive, and yet she's going to be working at a Sak Fifth Avenue? That's so broken.

There seem to be a lot of really nice houses north of Broadway and Hildebrand, although I don't wander areas just for the sake of looking at nice houses/cars/other assorted unimportant things - it seems to be an older side of town that people have worked hard to make lovely. A few named authors live in that area that I know of, but for the most part it is quiet, unpretentious living.

Give me an apartment on the NW side and a Honda any day.

Old 04-26-2007, 06:03 AM

483 posts, read 1,424,394 times
This is Texas, rich people don't drive Lexuses, they drive an F-350 King Ranch 4x4 with a 3" lift and a Power Stroke diesel.

Old 04-26-2007, 06:18 AM

607 posts, read 3,305,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soror View Post
Wait...she's fretting over the type of cars that other people drive, and yet she's going to be working at a Sak Fifth Avenue? That's so broken.

There seem to be a lot of really nice houses north of Broadway and Hildebrand, although I don't wander areas just for the sake of looking at nice houses/cars/other assorted unimportant things - it seems to be an older side of town that people have worked hard to make lovely. A few named authors live in that area that I know of, but for the most part it is quiet, unpretentious living.

Give me an apartment on the NW side and a Honda any day.
WORKING at Saks ................. Not shopping at Saks

Old 04-26-2007, 06:21 AM

14,613 posts, read 31,145,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis s View Post
WORKING at Saks ................. Not shopping at Saks
I think she means "broken" in the sense that she is so materialistic and some would say, maybe snobbish, yet she works at a seemingly menial retail job, waiting on the ones that drive the nice cars and live in the fancy homes. That was my take, anyway.

Old 04-26-2007, 06:45 AM

607 posts, read 3,305,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
I think she means "broken" in the sense that she is so materialistic and some would say, maybe snobbish, yet she works at a seemingly menial retail job, waiting on the ones that drive the nice cars and live in the fancy homes. That was my take, anyway.
Gotcha ...........Too early........can't read............must.....go...back..... to bed.

Old 04-26-2007, 07:27 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,309,198 times
HAHA!! I was thinking the exact same thing about the F350 PSD trucks as I was reading this thread.
Go and pick you one of those babies up at the dealership, they are pushing $60K.

Be careful 'cause you could run OVER a bmw or lexus in one of those.

Old 04-26-2007, 08:32 AM

10,864 posts, read 11,910,562 times
She wants to see nice houses but the question is: Can she afford one?

Old 04-26-2007, 06:55 PM

15,564 posts, read 36,476,154 times
Am I the only crazy one in here who thinks of prestige as a 1970 or 1971 Hemi Cuda???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or