U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 09:30 AM

32 posts, read 60,648 times
Default Brazilian???

What about Brazilian groceries stores?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 12:00 PM

28 posts, read 59,975 times
Chokdee - off Pat Booker (mainly Asian grocery)

Old 08-11-2009, 12:52 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,380,806 times
There are 2 Korean markets in the Rittiman area, a Chinese market in Leon Valley, another Korean market on Pat Booker across from the Driver's License Office on Pat Booker up in Universal City.

There's a British tea shops that sells a small selection of British goods in Bracken Village, but it's overpriced

Old 08-11-2009, 09:35 PM

4,791 posts, read 9,584,691 times
I have it on the QT that San Antonio is on the short list for opening an international food court similar to Harrod's famous food halls in London. The developers were looking for cities with an international flavor yet not so cosmopolitan that the "city" would overshadow the project. If you're not familiar with Harrod's food courts, don't be deceived by the fact that it's in London. It's about as "international" as it can get. It will have it's share of "English" fare such as their famous meat and sheperds pies as well as crazy sounding but delicious "spotted dick". But the gourmands of SA will most likely pull up a chair and not leave until they are in a taste testers coma.

The halls are set up "market style" with lots of customer service for each department....not in the usual grocery shopping isle conventional fashion. The emphasis is on fresh baked and new recipes constantly mixed in with the daily favorites.

Hardly any nationality or ethnicity is missed in the original food courts of Harrods. It's doubtful that SA will have the expanse of foodie coverage, but I understand the limitation is only going to be in quantity not quality.

If you can imagine old fashioned but state of the art fish mongers, or pastry chefs, or meat counters with every kind of delicacy....and add wines, cheeses, confectioners and fresh veggies and fruits from all over the world, that's what Harrods food courts are like....all under one enclosed roof.

This is supposed to be tied into the River North area and will not directly compete with the Pearl Market.....but most likely compliment each other. This is another reason SA has been included in the short list. Keep your fingers crossed that it happens. It would be a win win for not only local residents, but cater also to the city's tourist industry much in the same manner Harrods does in London.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:35 PM

13,805 posts, read 17,887,230 times
I hope you're right wCat, that'll be something I can actually look forward to. Where I'm from (Ann Arbor) has pretty much everything you can think of and I got used to that. Everywhere else I've been doesn't have that.

speaking of international food.. anyone heard of Devils on Horseback? WETV.com - The Tasty Dish - Devils on Horseback (Bacon wrapped prunes with cheese)

I saw them on Food Network (With My Hands : The Best Thing I Ever Ate : Food Network) tonight and they sound interesting enough to be good.

Old 08-12-2009, 06:06 AM

9,992 posts, read 9,036,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovin'it View Post
What about Brazilian groceries stores?
The only place that I've seen selling brazilian products was the "Latin Market" on San Pedro acros from "La fonda" colombian restaurant.
I only buy "guarana"

Old 08-12-2009, 07:40 AM

32 posts, read 60,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
The only place that I've seen selling brazilian products was the "Latin Market" on San Pedro acros from "La fonda" colombian restaurant.
I only buy "guarana"

Thank you. I will go by there today!

Old 08-12-2009, 03:55 PM

136 posts, read 378,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
I have it on the QT that San Antonio is on the short list for opening an international food court similar to Harrod's famous food halls in London.
Sounds Great, I hope they pick SA!

Old 08-13-2009, 06:41 PM

119 posts, read 303,474 times
Caravan International Food Market
5891 Babcock Road, San Antonio, TX 78240

Carries Middle Eastern, Indian, Asian, Persian and European grocery. Full Halal line of meats.

It's on the corner of Babcock and Huebner in the HEB shopping center
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio