U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 03:36 PM

14 posts, read 29,809 times

Advertisements

Dallas is a huge city with lots to offer but I personally enjoy the unique culture that exists in San Antonio and surrounding area.

SAN ANTONIO has so many fun/inexpensive things to do within the city that everyone has already mentioned on here (TWO Awesome Theme Parks, One and Only Riverwalk, Zoo, Museums, Missions, Fiesta, etc...) Might I add San Antonio has a uniqueness found no where else in the country.

But what makes it even more great is that the city is in the middle of a huge transformation of our urban core with the redevelopment/rezoning of several areas such as River North, Hemisfair Park, West Side Terminal Station, Pearl Brewery etc.) This will transform the city forever. The city is also completing a massive extension of the San Antonio Riverwalk and when complete it will run 13 miles thorough the city, making it the longest linear park in the world! Our park system is also transforming with the greenbelt linkage project and the amazing new Voelcker Park, a 311 acre park in the middle of North San Antonio, currently under construction. Our transportation system is adding the BRT line to link the growing Medical Center with Downtown. All that and our new mayor is aiming to start street car construction in 2 years.

San Antonio is only a short drive to the heart of the beautiful Hill Country where there is hiking, camping, and nature lover's paradise! And the beautiful recreational rivers Comal, Frio, and Guadalupe! SA is only 30 minutes from the awesome outlet Malls in San Marcos; 1 hr from Austin; 2 hours from the Gulf Coast and 2 hours to Mexico! SO much to do and see in the area!

Both cities have very hot summers, mild fall and spring seasons. Dallas gets more ice and sleet and freezing rain in the winter. Id rather be in SA for the winter.

Last but not least how can I forget the SPURS and their fans. During basketball season the city is Spurs crazy and it's a fun energy that few NBA cities have with their teams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 04:21 PM

427 posts, read 1,036,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTSABA06 View Post
Last but not least how can I forget the SPURS and their fans. During basketball season the city is Spurs crazy and it's a fun energy that few NBA cities have with their teams.
But in Dallas you can be a Mavs fan and be proud of how classy their owner is......uhhh....maybe not

Old 08-15-2009, 07:28 PM

305 posts, read 1,158,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimds009 View Post
I have lived in the DFW area for the past 15 years and would move back to San Antonio in a heartbeat if I could get a job transfer.
Dallas is so very overrated. The best museums are in Fort Worth, as is the better zoo, friendlier people, the Stockyards, Sundance Square.
Other than the American Airlines Center, Fair Park, and the Sixth Floor Museum, most of the entertainment venues are in Arlington or Fort Worth.

Downton Dallas practically becomes a ghost town at night, except for the area around the American Airlines Center. Fort Worth is much more friendly and less pretentious than the snobs in Dallas. Even the Cowboys have left Dallas County and moved to Arlington.
I lived in DFW for 8 years, now live in SA, and I second this posters comments about FW. I miss that town all so much. Dallas and San Antonio are like night and day. The "vibe" you get in FW is more similar to SA; people are much more laid-back; Dallas is a lot of uppity people in a big hurry to get no where.

I had a good friend up there who was a professional bartender, he worked in Dallas in the West-end and made more than 60K a year just tending bar. He and his wife both worked in the night club industry in Dallas, but chose to commute in from the Hurst-Euless-Bedford area (suburban area about halfway between Dallas and Fort Worth.

I lived in Fort Worth, and in 5 years, went into Dallas about 5 times, because FW has everything you need and the size is just right. My job "across town" took me 15 minutes to get there.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:20 PM

9 posts, read 20,850 times
Dude go to San Antonio Texas (all the way) San Antonio prides itself for historical culture and arts its diverse and has great entertainement for young folks like you Dallas and Fort Worth cant compare even if you combine them against San Antonio your searching for a fun night life and a big city with skyscarapers and still has alot of historical features and love for the arts move to san antonio its cheap easy and a great city and you cant forget the river walk chicken fajitas and the margaritas heck yeah all the way S.A.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:24 PM

810 posts, read 1,246,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoMan2010 View Post
Dude go to San Antonio Texas (all the way) San Antonio prides itself for historical culture and arts its diverse and has great entertainement for young folks like you Dallas and Fort Worth cant compare even if you combine them against San Antonio your searching for a fun night life and a big city with skyscarapers and still has alot of historical features and love for the arts move to san antonio its cheap easy and a great city and you cant forget the river walk chicken fajitas and the margaritas heck yeah all the way S.A.
Wow…ever used punctation?

Old 08-10-2010, 01:40 PM

4,263 posts, read 9,692,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoMan2010 View Post

Another fine product of San Antonio public schools.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:10 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,013,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro72 View Post
Wow…ever used punctation?
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
Another fine product of San Antonio public schools.

Be nice. It's not his fault our education system sucks.

I think we get his point.

Last edited by xsa210tx; 08-11-2010 at 06:25 PM..

Old 08-14-2010, 05:05 PM

26 posts, read 49,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skulls83 View Post
Hello, my bff and I are planning on moving to Texas by the end of the year and we are trying to get input as to which place would be the best for us. We will be 25 and 27 respectively by the time we move, she works in the bindery business and I am in bartending/ managment in the restaurant industry. We are both single with no children, plan on settling and getting into school. We like to go out from time to time but love the arts and culture, museums and zoo, etc. I recently lived in Shreveport, La for four years and this will be her frist time living outside of Ohio/ Kentucky. Any input will be extremely helpful. We were set on San Antonio or Dallas but we are keeping open minds.
I have lived in Houston, Austin, San Antonio, and grew up in Dallas. Personally, I'm done with Texas and moving but that's another thread. So...
Dallas by far. the good: Much more to do. Great arts scene, downtown revitalization, major sports, lakes, good food. the bad: people tend to be more ostentatious.

Houston: the good: restaurants. the bad: flat, hot and steamy (practically year round), extremely congested traffic, far from anywhere other than other Texas cities.

Austin: the good: lots of places to drink, perceived music capital of the world, very outdoorsy. the bad: everyone tries to "out cool" everyone else, far from anywhere other than other Texas cities.

San Antonio: the good: mexican food. the bad: 2 seasons - hot and hotter. far from anywhere other than other Texas cities, crappy built houses due to the exploitation of illegal immigrant labor, dumbest/craziest drivers in the state, Spurs 24/7/365, low paying jobs due to no real industry here other than service and medical or education.

Don't get me wrong, Texas is a decent enough place to live, I'm just ready for a change and there are a lot of cities out there that offer more. If you do choose Texas, don't leave out Ft. Worth in your search. Also, have you considered Atlanta? Great place for young people.

Well, good luck. Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio