Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2009, 10:19 AM

604 posts, read 1,523,872 times

Advertisements

I was just checking to see if there was some sort of bug going around-- I cant seem to shake this ill feeling. I guess if there is not something going around--- then I better go to the doctor huh

Just one more thing- when you are feeling sick, do you usually find it better to 'work through it" meaning keep working, going and not giving in to the tired feeling. Or do you find that you heal quicker if you just take a day or two of rest for your body? My husband and I have different opinions on this- so I was just curious..thanks

Last edited by nicholasa101; 08-14-2009 at 10:23 AM.. Reason: needed to add something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 10:27 AM

304 posts, read 1,321,796 times
You should rest and make sure you are hydrated when you are not feeling well. Stress actually prolongs an illness, and working when you are sick could easily be stressful. Sometimes we don't have a choice though and feel we have to work through our illness, especially if it is "just a cold". I have chronic sinusitis and sometimes it gets really bad with intolerable headaches, and I feel so guilty being sick, since it's not really sick. LOL

Old 08-14-2009, 10:36 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,386,486 times
I'm on the other side of the argument. I work through everything. There's nothing that I hate more than sitting and resting. It drives me insane. If I work, I find I'm not focused on it and I truly believe that about 50% of the effects of being sick are mental. There have been maybe three times in the last 20 years that something has hit me so hard it put me down. Mono in high school. A 24 hour bug the two other times.

I'm sure everyone has something that works for them though. That's just me.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:58 AM

137 posts, read 282,384 times
Damn that 24 hr bug, I get it only on Mondays and Fridays it seems.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:41 AM

604 posts, read 1,523,872 times
my grandpa (who is mexican) used to call it the "mexican bug"-when a co-worker would call in sick on a day after a holiday! Especially the Monday after Easter.....lots of people got the "mexican bug".

I think a hidden requirement to be a member on City-Data is that you have to have ADD.....I see the post wandering already

Old 08-14-2009, 12:28 PM

298 posts, read 941,137 times
We just got rid of strep throat and the doctor mentioned she had seen an increased number of cases of mono.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:31 PM

14,637 posts, read 34,869,877 times
When you go to work sick, you get everyone else sick, if it's something contagious. I think you should stay home in that instance. Otherwise, I usually tough it out.

Old 08-14-2009, 01:08 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,589,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
When you go to work sick, you get everyone else sick, if it's something contagious. I think you should stay home in that instance. Otherwise, I usually tough it out.
Same. I also agree with the previous poster about work helping you focus on something other than being sick.

I've missed work in the past for mono, the flu, the hiccups (once - I get hiccups a lot but this time, I couldn't get rid of them. I'd had them for about 35 hours - no sleep, nothing - and I just couldn't hack work, so I stayed home) and back spasms (if you can't walk you can't go to work!).

Hope you feel better soon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio