U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 11:39 PM

109 posts, read 357,048 times

Advertisements

There is a new sex offender in my neighborhood. There is an elementary school about 1/4 mile away from where he lives and a middle school about a mile away. I can't seem to find any information as to whether the sex offender can live in such close proximity to these schools. Obviously I'm hoping that they can't so that he has to move, does anyone know? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 08:59 AM

280 posts, read 667,417 times
I don't know what the rules are-- I thought that they couldn't live that close to a school. But about 5 years ago there was a sex offender living around the corner from me and I live about 1/3 of a mile from the elementary school. This guy actually lived closer to the school, as the crow flies. He could probably see the school grounds from his backyard. There was never any talk at the school about it, that I knew of.

I talked to someone who lived across the street from him. Apparently he had fathered a child with a young woman who lived with her parents there. The neighbor said he didn't appear to be around there that much, but that was his address on the Sex Offender database. He was listed as living there about a year or two until he moved on, thank goodness.

My kids were still fairly young and didn't go out of the house by themselves then. He was listed as a really big guy--even if I was out with my kids--I'm sure he could have overpowered me to get to them. It was pretty scary.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:03 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,594,124 times
I found this on this website: Texas Department of Public Safety - Courtesy, Service, Protection

47. Question: Are registered sex offenders allowed to live or go near places frequented by children such as schools and playgrounds?

Answer: The Texas Sex Offender Registration Program itself does not prohibit registered sex offenders from living or going near places frequented by children. However, Texas probation and parole law requires the imposition of a [I]"child safety zone" on a sex offender placed on community supervision (probation) or released on parole or mandatory supervision if the offender"s victim was a child.[/i] A "child safety zone" prohibits sex offenders on community supervision, parole, or mandatory supervision from supervising or participating in any program that includes as participants or recipients persons 17 years of age or younger and that regularly provides athletic, civic, or cultural activities or going in, on, or within a specified distance of a premises where children commonly gather (i.e. schools, day care facilities, or playgrounds). A violation of the "child safety zone" can result in the revocation of a sex offender"s probation or parole and, consequently, incarceration. This "child safety zone" lasts for as long as the sex offender is on community supervision, parole, or mandatory supervision.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:30 AM

Thanks so much for the replies. The sicko just finished a 3 year jail sentence and isn't on probation so it sounds as though he's allowed to live near schools. bummer

Old 08-15-2009, 10:29 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,594,124 times
I feel for ya...I do check the offender list every 6 months or so. Just sickening.

Old 08-15-2009, 05:53 PM

1,437 posts, read 1,775,602 times
You are going to have to be proactive, educate your children not to approach strangers and teach them not to let strangers approach them. I am in the same situation as you right now, there's a guy just down the street listed as a sex offender.

Old 08-15-2009, 06:23 PM

779 posts, read 908,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhugeliang1 View Post
You are going to have to be proactive, educate your children not to approach strangers and teach them not to let strangers approach them. I am in the same situation as you right now, there's a guy just down the street listed as a sex offender.
Do not paint all sex offenders with a broad brush and a danger to your children.

16 year old boy dating a 14 year old girl. Boy has birthday before girl. --Registered Sex Offender.

Divorce going badly, wife convinces 4 year old SOMETHING happened. No evidence, no history, aggressive assistant DA trying to earn a reputation. "Choice" take chance with a jury or plead guilty and receive probation. Registered Sex Offender.

With this said, someone receiving 3 years is someone to investigate and steered clear of.

Old 08-15-2009, 07:25 PM

1,437 posts, read 1,775,602 times
This issue doesn't have anything to do with painting sex offenders with some brush. It has everything to do with educating young children as to how to protect themselves. This is what I am assuming is the OP's concern, that we ensure the safety of schoolchildren. I'm not a lawyer and I'm not a judge, so I can't do anything about those situations you mention that get someone labeled a sex offender.

Old 08-16-2009, 11:49 AM

10,466 posts, read 10,226,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilGar View Post
Do not paint all sex offenders with a broad brush and a danger to your children.

16 year old boy dating a 14 year old girl. Boy has birthday before girl. --Registered Sex Offender.
I agree with that,
I guarantee that in everysingle High School there's at least 1 couple that the boy could be sent to jail
for doing "things" with his "HS sweetheart".

If I was you, I would try to find out what he did
because there's a huge difference between some of those people
(some did something stupid in a college party and some are plain sick people)

Old 08-17-2009, 08:43 AM

I wouldn't be too concerned if my neighbor was 18 and has the unfortunate title of Sex Offender for having consensual sex with his 17 year old girlfriend. Unfortunately my neighbor is the more typical type of registered sex offender. He's about 60 and was in jail for prostitution of a child. So basically he's a scary and sick bastard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio