U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 02:44 PM

8,400 posts, read 20,179,485 times

Advertisements

The US's Most Over-Rated Tourist Attractions...

Quote:
We all know the feeling: Bound by a lemming-like sense of obligation, we drag ourselves to an important tourist attraction, stand in its presence for a few moments, then (if all goes well) leave as quickly as possible. Sometimes we’re pleasantly surprised; we linger and learn something new. But lots of times, we don’t.

Some of the places on my list are well-known tourist traps, but not all tourist traps are a waste of time (the Empire State Building, Mount Rushmore and Niagara Falls are all well worth a look).

Regardless, the following spots have left me either underwhelmed or exhausted for no good reason. I’m sure you have a similar list.
Included on the list was...

Quote:
The Alamo, otherwise known as Mission San Antonio de Valero, sits on roughly four acres in downtown San Antonio, a short distance from the River Walk. Much of the original structure is no more, and what remains are a few small stone buildings and some neatly trimmed lawns. The audio tour concludes in an exceedingly well-provisioned gift shop.
I guess 26 million visitors a year doesn't mean anything...

By the way, the author of that article was Andrew Harper (http://www.andrewharper.com/Consideration/Luxury-Travel/default.aspx?s_cid=2 - broken link).

Cheers! M2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 02:52 PM

2,260 posts, read 4,955,892 times
People expect it to be some huge thing out in the middle of nowhere. How many times do you hear tourists say, "That's IT? It's in the middle of town! And it's SO SMALL!" They just have no idea what to expect, other than the many movies the Alamo has starred in.

I will also say that the gift shop is most certainly hideous, and since I'm being brutally honest about the cradle of Texas liberty, I will also say that really? There isn't much to look at at the Alamo.

Sorry.

Old 08-15-2009, 02:59 PM

1,241 posts, read 3,901,991 times
It's more than the building itself but what happened there that is important. Lots of times, people need more flash then substance. Thus the way of the next generation of kids.

Old 08-15-2009, 03:05 PM

898 posts, read 2,560,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
The US's Most Over-Rated Tourist Attractions...

Included on the list was...

I guess 26 million visitors a year doesn't mean anything...

By the way, the author of that article was Andrew Harper (http://www.andrewharper.com/Consideration/Luxury-Travel/default.aspx?s_cid=2 - broken link).

Cheers! M2
i was just about to post this, and ya beat me to it..lol I thought it was an amusing list

Old 08-15-2009, 03:08 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,326,684 times
I just saw that on the front page of yahoo. He doesn't respect US history either. Plymouth Rock a waste of time?

Old 08-15-2009, 03:08 PM

2,260 posts, read 4,955,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA Greed View Post
It's more than the building itself but what happened there that is important. Lots of times, people need more flash then substance. Thus the way of the next generation of kids.
Absolutely. But if the viewer isn't Texan or isn't educated in Texan history it probably doesn't speak to them as much as to a Texan or a Texas history buff.

Old 08-15-2009, 04:14 PM

427 posts, read 1,040,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGrace View Post
Absolutely. But if the viewer isn't Texan or isn't educated in Texan history it probably doesn't speak to them as much as to a Texan or a Texas history buff.
Phil Collins is an Alamo buff

By Scott Huddleston - Express-News

Singer Phil Collins said his life now revolves around the Alamo.

Collins is in town, set to appear at local events commemorating the anniversary of the siege and battle of the Alamo. Though he's mulling the idea of recording a tribute cover album of 1960s songs, he said he's making the Alamo “my main thing” as a collector, history buff and possible author.

“Basically, now I've stopped being Phil Collins the singer. This has become what I do,” he said Monday, standing beside a 13-foot-by-15-foot model of the 1836 Alamo compound that will open to the public this week.

Collins, who is British, said he has “hundreds” of cannonballs, documents and other artifacts from the Alamo, possibly the largest private collection anywhere, in the basement of his home in Switzerland. He said he's collaborating with artist Gary Zaboly on a book about his collection.

His most prized item is a receipt signed by Alamo commander William Barret Travis for 32 head of cattle used to feed the Alamo defenders.

Old 08-15-2009, 04:22 PM
djw

951 posts, read 2,576,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGrace View Post
People expect it to be some huge thing out in the middle of nowhere. How many times do you hear tourists say, "That's IT? It's in the middle of town! And it's SO SMALL!" They just have no idea what to expect, other than the many movies the Alamo has starred in.

I will also say that the gift shop is most certainly hideous, and since I'm being brutally honest about the cradle of Texas liberty, I will also say that really? There isn't much to look at at the Alamo.

Sorry.
I hear ya! After my first visit, I made sure all of my guests either watched the movie "The Alamo" or I took them to the IMAX movie BEFORE taking them to the Alamo. Then, I'd make sure to take them to a few of the other missions as well. That seemd to balance out the t-shirt shops and wax museum pretty well!

Old 08-15-2009, 04:51 PM

75 posts, read 169,085 times
26 million visitors a year doesn't mean it's not a boring destination. They come to see the Alamo (you've gotta see the Alamo if you're in San Antonio!), with much to expect, and leave disappointed. There really isn't much to the Alamo and its complex if you're not familiar with its history. Which I'm sure most visitors to Texas are not richly educated in that respect.

Old 08-15-2009, 06:13 PM

6,878 posts, read 18,229,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlamoCpl View Post
Phil Collins is an Alamo buff

By Scott Huddleston - Express-News

Singer Phil Collins said his life now revolves around the Alamo.

Collins is in town, set to appear at local events commemorating the anniversary of the siege and battle of the Alamo. Though he's mulling the idea of recording a tribute cover album of 1960s songs, he said he's making the Alamo “my main thing” as a collector, history buff and possible author.

“Basically, now I've stopped being Phil Collins the singer. This has become what I do,” he said Monday, standing beside a 13-foot-by-15-foot model of the 1836 Alamo compound that will open to the public this week.

Collins, who is British, said he has “hundreds” of cannonballs, documents and other artifacts from the Alamo, possibly the largest private collection anywhere, in the basement of his home in Switzerland. He said he's collaborating with artist Gary Zaboly on a book about his collection.

His most prized item is a receipt signed by Alamo commander William Barret Travis for 32 head of cattle used to feed the Alamo defenders.
Wow--I have a new respect for Phil Collins! Awesome!!

What Andrew Harper failed to realize, partially, is that the Alamo is just a part of the amazing architecture that are the Missions. There are more than just one...but what happened at the Alamo is much more important than the building itself. The battles that followed: Goliad, Gonzales, San Jacinto...all part of the story that is Texas! I would say to Mr. Harper: Come and Take It, buddy. Just try!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio