U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 12:35 PM

8,400 posts, read 20,177,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro72 View Post
D/FW and SA is day and night. D/FW is a hugh metropolitan area with Dallas being the main city with tons of surrounding suburbs such as Cedar Hill. D/FW is home to lots of corporate headquarters and it is more urban and modern than SA. Also, flying out of D/FW airport will be much easier than SA as it is a main hub for flight connections. Cedar Hill is far enough from Dallas but close enough for you to go into town. D/FW is very diverse and it has a ton of things to do but less outdoor activities than SA.

If you like dining out and shopping, then D/FW is the place to be.

SA is more laid back in general than Dallas and it is a big city with small town mentalities and slow to adapting. You should post the same question in the Dallas forum to get their feedback as well.
Why, sounds like all the Dallasites are showing up here to give their opinion!

There is no shortage of shopping and dining in San Antonio, I doubt DFW has the edge in those areas. And I would much rather fly out of SAT even if it means having to connect somewhere. It is a much easier airport to deal with.

Plus, your "slow to adapt" comment can also be interpreted as having much deeper cultural roots. If by progress you mean over-development than I would rather be "slow to adapt" than live in a concrete wasteland.

Lastly, there is no shortage of corporations here in San Antonio, plus it has a strong tourism and military economy that means we are less affected by the problems besieging other cities. If the OP wants to do some research, try looking at the difference between costs of living. Your housing dollar buys a lot more in SA and overall it is much cheaper to live down here. Plus, we are within a few hours of the coast.

You obvious bias towards DFW is understandable, but don't come across as an objective viewpoint. The SA-Austin corridor is one of the fastest-growing areas of the country, and thrives where others are faltering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 01:50 PM

13,403 posts, read 21,218,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Why, sounds like all the Dallasites are showing up here to give their opinion!

There is no shortage of shopping and dining in San Antonio, I doubt DFW has the edge in those areas. And I would much rather fly out of SAT even if it means having to connect somewhere. It is a much easier airport to deal with.

Plus, your "slow to adapt" comment can also be interpreted as having much deeper cultural roots. If by progress you mean over-development than I would rather be "slow to adapt" than live in a concrete wasteland.

Lastly, there is no shortage of corporations here in San Antonio, plus it has a strong tourism and military economy that means we are less affected by the problems besieging other cities. If the OP wants to do some research, try looking at the difference between costs of living. Your housing dollar buys a lot more in SA and overall it is much cheaper to live down here. Plus, we are within a few hours of the coast.

You obvious bias towards DFW is understandable, but don't come across as an objective viewpoint. The SA-Austin corridor is one of the fastest-growing areas of the country, and thrives where others are faltering.
I believe you started this one. You came out and presented your opinion as fact. Saying "But San Antonio doesn't need selling like DFW does, if you ever have visited both places you would know it is a much better place to live." is very arrogant indeed. You should know that it all depends on the person. Dallas/Fort Worth is THE fastest growing area of the country in terms of numeric growth (not percentage growth, but numeric growth. DFW is too big to ever be the win the percentage catagory):

US Census Press Releases (http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/releases/archives/population/013426.html - broken link)

And I dont know very many people who would rather connect than fly nonstop. I know that because I travel alot for work, having an airport like DFW was an absolute necesity when I left LA.

I might also add that you are absolutely incorrect about cost of living:

Cost of Living comparison calculator

Overall your post was arrogant and biased. If you want to sell the person on San Antonio fine, but you dont need to trash Dallas to do it.

Old 08-16-2009, 02:10 PM

13,807 posts, read 26,358,843 times
Neither!

Old 08-16-2009, 02:50 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,089,222 times
My kids always would get mad at me if I failed to book a flight going through Dallas Airport, that airport has a really fun tram going around the terminals - very fast, clean, and efficient like a Japanese high speed train. Is Cedar Hill near Allen by any chance?

Old 08-16-2009, 03:00 PM

810 posts, read 1,250,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhugeliang1 View Post
My kids always would get mad at me if I failed to book a flight going through Dallas Airport, that airport has a really fun tram going around the terminals - very fast, clean, and efficient like a Japanese high speed train. Is Cedar Hill near Allen by any chance?
Not at all. Allen is just north of Plano which is just north of Richardson which is just north of Dallas. Cedar Hill is basically southwest of downtown Dallas. It's quite a distance between the two.

Old 08-16-2009, 05:18 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,480,077 times
LAnative, since 2000, the LA csa population region has been the biggest population gainer not Dallas. And after LA it's Atlanta not Dallas.

Old 08-16-2009, 05:21 PM

Let's not make this a versus thread please.

Old 08-16-2009, 05:40 PM

13,403 posts, read 21,218,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonfresh View Post
LAnative, since 2000, the LA csa population region has been the biggest population gainer not Dallas. And after LA it's Atlanta not Dallas.
Im afraid thats not quite accurate.

As of 2000, the DFW MSA is the largest population gainer on a year per year basis. From 2000 onward, the Atlanta MSA gained 1,128,304 people, DFW gained 1,138,426, and the LA MSA gained 501,181, and the Ontario Riverside MSA gained 861,050.

So If you want to argue that the LA area has gained the most residents since 2000, Ill buy that because if you add up the LA MSA with the Inland Empire, then they would indeed. Having lived in LA for many years, I think Riverside and LA could be one MSA. I can see where DFW and Atlanta would be confusing since DFW just recently overtook Atlanta in terms of numeric growth since 2000, but DFW is now indeed ahead. The link to the page below shows all the data if you wish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_o...tistical_Areas

I might also add that its not us turning this into a city vs. city thread. All myself and Quattro72 did was talk about how pretty we though Cedar Hill was.

Last edited by Cowboys fan in Houston; 08-16-2009 at 06:13 PM..

Old 08-16-2009, 06:04 PM

But the latest figures are for 2008. Second, even up to 2006, Greater LA was still the bigger population gainer.

It always has been.

Old 08-16-2009, 06:05 PM

8,400 posts, read 20,177,319 times
It's odd how someone posts in the San Antonio section of this forum, and all the Dallas people immediately show up to answer! As a matter of fact, they answered before anyone in San Antonio did!

Are they that paranoid that someone might say something negative about their beloved city? I don't know of anyone from down here that scans the DFW section of this forum looking for comments about San Antonio.

And LAnative10 needs to go back and read their posts as well as Quattro72's, they talked about more than "how pretty" Cedar Hills is!

"(San Antonio) is a big city with small town mentalities and slow to adapting."

"(F)lying out of D/FW airport will be much easier than SA"

"D/FW is very diverse and it has a ton of things to do"

"If you like dining out and shopping, then D/FW is the place to be."

If that isn't comparing one against the other, than I don't know what is!

I am glad they love it so much up there, they can have the place!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or