Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 06:18 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonfresh View Post
But the latest figures are for 2008. Second, even up to 2006, Greater LA was still the bigger population gainer.

It always has been.
And I just said that it was if you combine the LA MSA and the Ontario Riverside MSA. I agree with you on that. However, DFW is ahead of Atlanta for the number two spot. Texas has a much healthier economy and thats probably why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 06:25 PM

Alright Majormadmax if you want to do it this way fine.

My first response was:

Cedar Hill is a beautiful area. Its very hilly and there are alot of trees. There is also Joe Pool lake there which is very large and has a beach which is great in the summer.

Followed by Quarttro72:

And there is a new shopping center there as well.

Uptown Village at Cedar Hill - Home

Cedar Hill has a great place for mountain biking if you are into that. There are also some pretty nice and big houses in Cedar Hill. It's nice that you are in a hilly area and still close to D/FW.

Then me again:

I would agree with that although there are certain areas in Fort Worth that are pretty as well.

Then the OP:

Wow thanks! I personally was leaning towards San Antonio but my husband thinks DFW area will have more to do and we really did like Cedar Hill when we drove around. Ah...it is such a big decision but I'm excited. Thanks again!

Then you:

Yeah, San Antonio only has the Hill Country! I think if you do your research you will realize that this area has a lot more to do if you are the outdoorsy types. There are numerous places to bike here both on the road road and off, see the Mountain Biking thread for some great videos from 2DMAXX, and we've got Government Canyon, a 8624-acre state natural area that has some great trails. Plus, Austin is an hour north of here, and there are lots of great trails up there as well!

But San Antonio doesn't need selling like DFW does, if you ever have visited both places you would know it is a much better place to live.

The best of luck with your decision!

...and thats how this started.

The line about San Antonio being a better place to live is subjective and the way you worded it was extremely arrogant. Thats what set me off. Make it sound like anyone who would live in DFW must be stupid for not moving to San Antonio because its so great. Truth be told, I love San Antonio, but Dallas is a better place for me to live.

Someone really must enlighten me on why Texans hate other Texas cities so much? Im from SoCal and we had a rivalry of sorts with NorCal, but I still love the Bay Area, the Redwoods, and Tahoe. Why are you Texans so all or nothing?

Old 08-16-2009, 06:27 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,985,488 times
Wow, the "ignore list" option on here works great!

Old 08-16-2009, 07:39 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,365,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhugeliang1 View Post
My kids always would get mad at me if I failed to book a flight going through Dallas Airport, that airport has a really fun tram going around the terminals - very fast, clean, and efficient like a Japanese high speed train. Is Cedar Hill near Allen by any chance?
HIGH SPEED JAPANESE TRAIN????? Are you talking about the Airtrans system at DFW??? I will give anyone an opportunity to show me that Airtrans has been torn out and replaced with a high speed Japanese train! Having worked at DFW during my last job in Dallas, it was FAR from fast. It generally broke down and you were stuck sitting for an hour in a concrete track being either late for your flight or for work. Clean is debateble....but not like some filthy subways I've been in.....and no where near efficient. Enough said. I just hope you're right and they fixed that dinosaur!

As for Allen to Cedar Hill? It's about 50 miles....and would take 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours to get there....on a good day. Two hours during rush hour. Opposite sides of DFW.....in metroplex traffic. Ugh.

Old 08-16-2009, 07:49 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,365,125 times
[quote=LAnative10;10308453]A
Someone really must enlighten me on why Texans hate other Texas cities so much? Im from SoCal and we had a rivalry of sorts with NorCal, but I still love the Bay Area, the Redwoods, and Tahoe. Why are you Texans so all or nothing?[/QUOTE]

LAN...I'm glad Dallas fits you. I've lived in both, and SA is better for me. Does that make me a Dallas hater? No. But there are a LOT of things that I do not miss. I love visiting Houston for all that it there that we don't have. I love visiting DFW to see my old friends....I love Big Bend...too! ??? what's the point.

The op's question isn't about loving parts of cities, it's about relocating and finding a new home.

You can pick a bone with one poster if you want, but please leave the other 25 million of us out of it. He's not even a raised from the dirt Texan either!

Old 08-16-2009, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
HIGH SPEED JAPANESE TRAIN????? Are you talking about the Airtrans system at DFW??? I will give anyone an opportunity to show me that Airtrans has been torn out and replaced with a high speed Japanese train! Having worked at DFW during my last job in Dallas, it was FAR from fast. It generally broke down and you were stuck sitting for an hour in a concrete track being either late for your flight or for work. Clean is debateble....but not like some filthy subways I've been in.....and no where near efficient. Enough said. I just hope you're right and they fixed that dinosaur!

As for Allen to Cedar Hill? It's about 50 miles....and would take 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours to get there....on a good day. Two hours during rush hour. Opposite sides of DFW.....in metroplex traffic. Ugh.
Just curious, when was the last time you were at DFW? The Skylink system there is the best in the country hands down.

You might be thinking of the AAirtrain they used to have. I hated having to use it when I connected there. But thats long gone.

Old 08-16-2009, 08:40 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,822,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Just curious, when was the last time you were at DFW? The Skylink system there is the best in the country hands down.

You might be thinking of the AAirtrain they used to have. I hated having to use it when I connected there. But thats long gone.

Duplicate

Old 08-16-2009, 08:42 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,822,911 times
Quote:

No, it's just not. SFO has it beat. I would also say that EWR has it beat.

Old 08-16-2009, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
No, it's just not. SFO has it beat. I would also say that EWR has it beat.
SFO maybe, I think DFW has a better train than EWR though.

Skytrax also named DFW the best airport in North America:

http://www.worldairportawards.com/Aw...irport2009.htm

Old 08-16-2009, 08:56 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,554,543 times
Quote:
Someone really must enlighten me on why Texans hate other Texas cities so much? Im from SoCal and we had a rivalry of sorts with NorCal, but I still love the Bay Area, the Redwoods, and Tahoe. Why are you Texans so all or nothing?
But it generally doesn't work the other way around Folks from the Bay area rarely have anything nice to say about LA/SoCal.....

I'm from LA and feel the same way you describe about all California, but my NoCal friends are not so quick to embrace the south. Alas, NoCal wanted to secede didn't they?

As for Texans - I'm obviously not one, and I haven't lived in Dallas, only visited/driven through. It has its pros, but I wouldn't want to live there. I really don't see the appeal of Houston or Dallas over San Antonio, apart from having a direct flight (which admittedly I'd love, but not enough to live in Dallas). One of the many things I like about San Antonio is that it's fairly easy to live downtown, in the middle of it all, and still have a decent-sized property at an affordable price. If I'd been living in the 'burbs, it probably wouldn't make much difference (at that point, suburbs of Dallas are not a lot different to suburbs of SA), but it'd be hard to live comfortably in downtown of another large city.....at least not on our public sector salaries
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio