U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 06:58 PM

36 posts, read 130,091 times

Advertisements

I just moved here and this is the first time, I live close to natural catastrophe zones (like a hurricane).

Do we feel the effects of hurricanes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 07:01 PM

305 posts, read 1,155,658 times
Not hurricanes...way too far from the gulf for that. When there are hurricanes or tropical storms in the gulf, the most we have ever had is a bad storm with high winds (not hurrican speed winds though).

We do occasionally have tornados here though.

4,263 posts, read 9,682,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovin'it View Post
I just moved here and this is the first time, I live close to natural catastrophe zones (like a hurricane).

Do we feel the effects of hurricanes?
Rarely, but it does happen.

1,131 posts, read 1,470,495 times
Directly? No.

Indirectly? Yes but very rarely.

By indirectly, I mean, we're so far inland that even with a big Hurricane if it hit the coast between Corpus and Freeport we'd get the outer bands of rain and winds but by the time it got on land and moved in the directs of SA it's be downgraded to a Tropical Storm or Depression. We'd just get winds and rain but mostly rain.

However, even that is rare, maybe once or twice a decade.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:09 PM

36 posts, read 130,091 times
Thanks guys! I was expecting the rain and winds...I just have never been in a tornado area.

This can get interesting!

Thanks for the help!

Old 08-18-2009, 07:12 PM

3,455 posts, read 7,269,645 times
most thunderstorms I have expereinced have been in the midwest.

last summer there was a hurricaine that hit around south padre (I think it may have been ike) we did get the outer bands and it was different to me, because the wind came out of nowhere, and it was all one direction (storms where I was, the wind was more circular). It was like a blast of constant wind, and then a short downpour of rain. And that was it....but the downpour was significant. I had to pull off the road.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:22 PM

8,400 posts, read 20,075,328 times
The natural catastrophes to watch out for in San Antonio (besides the traffic) are flash floods! We can get torrential downpours that cause rapid flooding of otherwise drive creek beds, many of which cross over secondary roads. Heck, sometimes they cross over highways, I've seen 90 West just outside of 1604 completely flooded over! In 2007 we had heavy summer rains and numerous incidents of people getting caught in flood zones, at least one instance I recall was fatal. It isn't that hard to recognize where the dangers are, and most if not all crossings have signs marking the depths of the water at them. It is smart to remember where those are before the heavy rains com so you can avoid those locations!

Old 08-18-2009, 07:28 PM

6,110 posts, read 8,564,405 times
If you are lucky enough to be in an area that gets struck my an outer rain band it can be horrible and cause some pretty bad flooding. That usually happens when we get the "wet" side of the storm. I think that's the northwest side of the storm (AnthonySA correct me if I'm wrong..which I probably am).

If we miss out on the rain (catch the east side of the storm) we'll actually get really hot and windy.
That happened with Rita.

There was some storm in the 90s that caused a tornado on the northwest side of town..but that I think was the last tropical tornado we've gotten. We have had tornadoes, small ones, but even those are infrequent..whether they are from tropical weather storms or just plain old thunderstorms.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:36 PM

3,109 posts, read 8,684,701 times
If we were to have had Hurricane Ike land around Corpus instead of Galveston we might have felt some hurricane force winds here. Ike created a swath that went up to Arkansas and even Indiana and some of those towns and cities had hurricane force winds above 75 mph. Ike was an exception to the rule.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:29 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,603,808 times
San Antonio is far enough inland that the chances of experiencing "hurricane force" winds are much less than coastal areas. We do occasionally get some heavy rain and, as M2 mentioned, flash flooding. For this reason, San Antonio is the focal point of Texas' hurricane emergency management activity. The Texas Governor's Division of Emergency Management has established San Antonio as the location for all Heavy Task Force (approximately 500 first responders) action.

--Dim
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio