Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2009, 08:48 PM

4 posts, read 23,402 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to San Antonio soon, and I've spent several weeks researching and looking for an apartment - which is hard to do from a great distance - and though I narrowed it down, I'm liking a couple of the apartment complexes in the Oakwell Farms area. I was really impressed with their communities when I visited.

However, I've been unable to find a good amount of information about the neighborhood and these apartments on this forum or anywhere else, and what I have found has contained a lot of mixed feedback - this includes confusing statistics of all kinds or just lack of sufficient details about the statistics, and while I know this information isn't necessarily representative of what my experience would be there, I'd feel a lot better hearing from people who live or have lived there (and if possible, reasons for leaving if we're talking in the past tense).

Any information regarding things such as crime, pests, and other issues regarding residential quality of living in that area and its apartment homes would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 08:59 PM

4,147 posts, read 8,000,189 times
Do you have cross streets?

Old 08-19-2009, 09:02 PM

1,276 posts, read 3,824,520 times
If it's the same area I'm thinking of.....off Harry wurzbach right? My parents lived in a complex over there. Don't remember the name but it was next door/across from the nursing home. Anyway they loved the complex, the ducks that were always around but when management wanted to raise rent about $200 a month they moved to another complex. Other than that they really liked the place.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:10 PM

ryneone - The ones I liked were Oakhampton (Oakwell Farms Pkwy) and Lakeside Villas (Laurens Ln).

hadleyzoo - Thank you for the info! It's between Austin Highway and I-410 off Wurzbach if I have my street orientation right. And thanks for including the reason your parents decided to move! Did they stay in San Antonio? If so, what area did they move to?

Old 08-20-2009, 11:01 AM

1,642 posts, read 4,092,198 times
Hi! The Oakwell Farms area lies in between Harry Wurzbach and Holbrook roads, it is bordered by a nice older neighborhood and Salado creek. The housing inside Oakwell Farms is pretty much it's own community and is very quiet.

There is Garner Middle School and St Pius school close on HW. The traffic on HW near the loop can get heavy at rush/school times, you can get on the highway from the Holbrook side as a shortcut.

I would say crime is low in OWF, and about average outside. There are some lower price apt complexs close by. There's also a large abandoned complex that has been fenced off for some time now, and the kids and hobos have really tore it up. I'm sure it will be removed at some point, the neighborhood must be furious!

As far as pests, you might get a few more rabbits, coons and possums than most folks inside the loop because of Salado Creek. And if you are new to Texas, beware of fire ants!

All in all I think it is a great location, close to 410/35, Ft Sam, Alamo Heights/Terrill Hills, HEB/Walmart, NE Babtist Hospital, Oakwell Library and more. I also live in the area

Old 08-20-2009, 12:29 PM

Hi, Herbrocks! Thank you for all your input! It's very nice to hear from people who actually live in the area.

I've read a little about fire ants in other threads, and of the pests you mention, those would be the ones that concern me, and I'm going to do more research on how to best avoid them! Thank you for the heads up, because I am very new to Texas!

I've also read that Salado Creek floods badly - do you know if it reaches those apartment complexes or causes major traffic problems in the Oakwell Farms area?

It definitely sounds like a great location for all the reasons you list, and I really liked what I saw, but you can learn a lot more from the people who live there than you can be checking statistics and viewing the properties, so it's definitely reassuring to hear what you have to say about it!

Old 08-20-2009, 02:43 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,438,011 times
Oakwell Farms is a very lovely upscale community. It's probably some of the nicest newer housing stock inside 410. The apartments are usually inhabited by Doctors and medical staff from FT. Sam which is just down the street. Personally we have several older parishioners at the church I attend that live in some of the complexes there. The apartments are very nicely kept up, and they have use of several clubhouses. Salado Creek doesn't flood Oakwell farms at all, nor does it cause traffic problems on Austin Highway where it crosses or Loop 410. Safety wise, it feels safer than most areas outside 410, especially since the main neighborhood actually has a manned gate.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:23 PM

Thank you for your reply and input, smuboy86! I'm very glad that the creek doesn't flood the neighborhood or nearby roads, and that makes sense about the resident population - sounds like a close-knit community. I'm glad the apartment complexes have gates, though they're not manned of course. I'm definitely concerned about property crime and it's reassuring to hear that you consider it safer than other areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio