U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 10:18 PM

4,263 posts, read 9,696,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianbakerusarmy View Post
So, what's the problem with entering your zip code?? Personally, I think everyone should have to show a photo ID when they use their credit card. I betcha it would certainly cut down on all the credit card fraud that's going on out there. If your not a crook, you shouldn't have anything to worry about . How long does it take to punch your zip code in??? It's for the credit card's owner protection.
No one said it's a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 10:18 PM

3,823 posts, read 13,353,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianbakerusarmy View Post
So, what's the problem with entering your zip code?? Personally, I think everyone should have to show a photo ID when they use their credit card. I betcha it would certainly cut down on all the credit card fraud that's going on out there. If your not a crook, you shouldn't have anything to worry about . How long does it take to punch your zip code in??? It's for the credit card's owner protection.
You're reading too much into my statement/question as I didn't phrase it as a complaint. In fact, I think it is a good security practice.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:58 PM

13,807 posts, read 26,304,300 times
do you have to enter it? The HEB+ on Potranco asks for my zip code, but I just swipe the card and it moves along to the PIN screen. I'm pretty sure they just want to see where their shoppers are coming from. Probably to make sure their advertising dollars are being spent in the right places.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:27 PM

898 posts, read 2,273,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
do you have to enter it? The HEB+ on Potranco asks for my zip code, but I just swipe the card and it moves along to the PIN screen. I'm pretty sure they just want to see where their shoppers are coming from. Probably to make sure their advertising dollars are being spent in the right places.
Yeah you have to...I've even seen a few stickers on the pumps explaining the security benefits.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:31 PM

ahh, ok. I always get my gas on base. Last valero I went to filled my tank with more gas than it could physically hold...
sounds like a good security system, though

Old 08-21-2009, 12:33 AM

111 posts, read 252,973 times
I cannot remember the last time I did **NOT** have to enter my zip code at the pump, at any gas station. It's been years and years.

Old 08-21-2009, 01:34 AM

interesting.. I'll have to ask my wife if she has to do it where she gets gas. She doesn't go anywhere near the base, so she gets hers from the stations that are probably ripping her off. I would bring hers in to work and get some at night, but that thing is a freaking oven in the summer.

Old 08-21-2009, 05:34 AM

3,141 posts, read 5,167,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
The last two times I purchased gas at Valero using my Valero credit card, I had to enter my zip code before I could pump gas. Has anyone else noticed this and is it only for Valero cards or is this done for other cards as well?
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
I don't remember the last time I DIDN'T have to enter my zip code. This includes stations across the US only. Several different credit cards (Amex,MC,Visa etc) as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by preciouskitty207 View Post
I had to enter my zip recently at Exxon when using my Amex card. I guess most of the gas stations are doing this now. ???
I usually buy gas at Valero stations located in my home ZIP Code, using only a Valero card, and paying at the pump. The requirement to enter a ZIP Code is definitely a recent development, at least for me (I'm not complaining).

I used to frequent Exxon, until they closed all their stations near my home and work, and I never had to enter my ZIP Code when paying at the pump with an Exxon card or Speedpass.

I never use major credit cards at gas stations, so I don't know whether these places that now require a ZIP Code to be entered when using that particular oil company's own card have required this all along when using a major CC. Maybe the stations have been phasing this in over a period of time?

Old 08-21-2009, 06:03 AM

116 posts, read 315,845 times
I've seen it for about a year now at HEB/Valero/Exxon. I would assume it's for security and your protection. I know a lot of companies (including online) need the billing address to verify the card matches the owner. Obviously they can't get all of that at a gas station pump so the zip code is the next best thing. I work as a direct seller and the merchant we use for credit cards needs the billing address for the CC. If it doesn't match, it won't be approved.

Old 08-21-2009, 06:25 AM

5,615 posts, read 12,802,153 times
I had to enter my zip code in WA, and I've had to here since I moved.

HEB on the other hand asks before I use the checkout... I know they don't need it. I enter in my old zip code (98058) just to play with their data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio