Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 01:19 PM

3,542 posts, read 8,245,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIAcakes View Post
We just moved to San Antonio from MN and have not had a great experience with the elemetary school process so far. We moved to Stone Oak, in a neighborhood that has a capped school, a BIG mistake. While we did know this, I did not realize that the busing was a complete mess! My children are supposed to go to Canyon Ridge, but are being sent to Stone Oak. That is fine. But... we were informed last night at Meet the Teacher night, that they may not have transportation next week! That is completely unacceptable! I was never informed until last night that transportation was going to be an issue. Canyon Ridge, this summer, told me that we would get transportation to Stone Oak. Had I known this, we would have picked a different area of San Antonio. The guy at the transportation office told me this morning that I need to have a back up plan!!! Well, that may be a problem seeing as we both work! Parents should be told this PRIOR to a few days before school starts. BTW, we wouldn't even have found this out last night had we not stopped at the office on our way out to ask if the routes had been made yet. Then she has us fill out a form that she had to fax to the transportation office last night and tells us it can take 7 days to process! Uh... SCHOOL STARTS MONDAY!!!
Sorry to hear your start-up has been as difficult at it has... after school starts I'm sure you'll be able to get into a much less hectic routine. NEISD is suffering through growing pains and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. The problem is half of the district still covers undeveloped land and the population boom down here shows little signs of slowing down. They are trying their best to keep up with the growth by opening several schools each year, but there is only so much one can do.

Overcrowding aside, I have heard nothing but good things about NEISD schools. Best of luck to you and your move to SA. Just note, living in Stone Oak -- the traffic won't be getting any better any time soon.

Old 08-21-2009, 01:23 PM

1,893 posts, read 5,588,394 times
[quote=StanStelle;10386356]There are too many pros and cons for me to have time to write about and of course I can't speak for all my fellow Stone Oakers, but this recent article sheds light on a few reasons - while glossing over some obvious issues like traffic.
Sales in Stone Oak a testament to its popularity (http://www.mysanantonio.com/business/Sales_in_Stone_Oak_a_testament_to_its_popularity.h tml - broken link)

Glossing over the traffic issues is an understatement. The salesperson that wrote that article, and that's what it is, a sales promotion, was bragging about easy access to 281 and 1604. That's kind of like having easy access to a bank account with a zero balance. All you going to do when you get there is sit in traffic. Most of the restaraunts and bars are franchises. They always brag about the great schools. They're new schools, I'm not really sure what makes them so much better than other schools.

Old 08-21-2009, 01:35 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,617,303 times
I'd assume the schools in that area have more money, since that area's growing like crazy and it isn't like it's the impoverished who are moving there. I don't live there so I can't say for certain, but I expect their taxes bring in a good chunk of change for their schools.

And while money doesn't solve all problems, it goes a long way to an area being able to provide decent schools.

Old 08-21-2009, 02:01 PM

1,893 posts, read 5,588,394 times
The ones getting the most benefit from all the money being thrown at the school system is the people involved in building the schools. I think way too much money is spent building elaborate school buildings that look more like resort hotels.

Old 08-21-2009, 02:20 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,410,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
The ones getting the most benefit from all the money being thrown at the school system is the people involved in building the schools. I think way too much money is spent building elaborate school buildings that look more like resort hotels.
The construction company builds what is designed and specified.

Go back to the school board, the architects and the state that mandates certain "enhancements". They are the ones that want these "Taj Mahals" built.

I drive past Alamo Heights High School several times a week. It is hard for me to believe how any education can take place in such an old two story brick building. Those poor kids.

Old 08-21-2009, 03:19 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,122,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilGar View Post
The construction company builds what is designed and specified.

Go back to the school board, the architects and the state that mandates certain "enhancements". They are the ones that want these "Taj Mahals" built.

I drive past Alamo Heights High School several times a week. It is hard for me to believe how any education can take place in such an old two story brick building. Those poor kids.
Maybe the AH staff are resourceful with what they have. The students are doing pretty well academically, old building or not. I graduated with my bachelor's and attended classes in portables (A&M SA in its infancy).

Old 08-21-2009, 03:37 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
Wow. Way to turn this in to a "let's bash Stone Oak and the newbies" thread.

All school districts must spend lots of money on schools to upgrade technology, staff, and to improve general maintenance. Even smaller districts spend a lot on that kind of stuff.

Old 08-21-2009, 04:44 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,455,013 times
Kinda weird that they don't have the transportation worked out, I feel for you with that issue. In Hawaii, our kids had to PAY for the school bus to ride to the public school for our area...and the bus driver would let the kids ON the bus without paying, but would leave them stranded at school if they "lost" their bus money....

It seems that the district is creating issues for themselves financially as well, because attendance is taken at a certain time each morning for funding for the day...can't help but wonder how much $$$ it is going to cost them to get their act together...

Old 08-21-2009, 05:01 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,711,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
We can talk negatively about SA...there's a few recent negativity charged threads around here somewhere.
I know, but did you see how angry people got? Wowza.

Old 08-21-2009, 05:54 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,340,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
So we can't talk negatively about SA, but we can bash SO? Oh, the humanity!
Exactly...aren't these the same people who get all in a frenzy every time someone dares to express a critical opinion about San Antonio or -- gawd forbid -- doesn't think the Alamo is the Holy Grail of Texas?

Stone Oak has its quirks just like EVERY other place, but I love it here. Which is saying a lot considering I -- gasp -- really dislike San Antonio and the giant cockroach infested heat wave it rode in on.

The bus situation will work itself out...bottom line, your kids will be attending an excellent school in one of the best districts in the state. Don't let these (jealous??) naysayers make you doubt your decision in moving here. And welcome to the hood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio