U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 08:52 PM
m22

139 posts, read 349,680 times
YOU ASK WHY AN OUT-OF-STATE TRANSPLANT WOULD PICK STONE OAK:
We moved here from Michigan a year ago and zeroed in on Stone Oak for the following reasons not completely covered in this thread. (Read with open mind & imagine yourself in a new city with no knowledge of the area.)
1. school district - Coming from MI, NEISD is amazing and these new, gorgeous elementary schools with funding for special programs are a GIFT we did not take for granted. We had heard you either want NEISD or Alamo Heights & we couldn't afford Alamo Heights. Private school too expensive too.
2. Affordability - we sold our home in Detroit in 2008 for LESS than we bought it in 2000. This home was 1300 square feet with no garage, no sprinklers, no fireplace, etc. We came to San Antonio and bought a much larger, newer home with many upgrades in Stone Oak for about the same price as we sold that Detroit house during the worst of the recession! Homes in this area are attractive to transplants because they are beautiful family homes that are affordable when you've just moved from a part of the country where property prices are inflated.
3. Stone Oak seemed to us to be very family friendly. Most subs had a park, pool and a zillion school age kids running around. Most homes we walked through were family homes and it seemed easier to move into a neighborhood with young families like ours. We immediately had something in common with many neighbors.
4. Convenience - being new to an area, it was easy to come into this part of town and see the Target, the Life Time Fitness gym (where we had memberships in MI), the familiar franchise restaurants, etc. and say "I think I could find my way around here." It is attractive, and even comforting to someone who has never lived in SA, and was attractive to us.
5. The hill country views and sunsets. No one has mentioned thee amazing hills. You don't see that elsewhere. I love driving out of my sub and seeing huge rolling hills under that big texas sky.
6. Resale. If this area continues to magically attract people within the next 5 years (it's popularity is undeniable), we will do well on our investment.

P.S. Also recently re-connected on Facebook with two Michigan acquaintances who also recently moved to San Antonio. When I asked where they lived in town, guess what? One is in Rogers Ranch & the other is over off Bulverde.

A big Stone Oak welcome to all weary travelers!

Old 08-30-2009, 09:41 PM

4,148 posts, read 5,103,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
The fact that you defend the place so ardently again speaks volumes. There are again plenty of schools in neisd that are rated excelent even inside 410 in neighborhoods that have remained upscale for 40+ years. Give stone oak 10 and it won't be a place you will even want to drive through.
What is your problem. Do you have some inside information about why it will not be nice in ten years?

Old 08-30-2009, 09:43 PM

2,400 posts, read 4,352,813 times
Back on topic....

Well, we are getting ready to begin the second week of school. Hopefully, everyone has had their transportation problems ironed out. (That includes previous students who moved over the summer!)

As you can see, many are passionate about the area of town they live in (or don't live in)...that's what makes San Antonio great--no one area stands above the others.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:46 PM

3,542 posts, read 5,467,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
What is your problem. Do you have some inside information about why it will not be nice in ten years?
Us 09ers feel safe making fun of our Stone Oak neighbors. We know it's gonna take all day for them to make it down 281

Old 08-30-2009, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonySA View Post
Us 09ers feel safe making fun of our Stone Oak neighbors. We know it's gonna take all day for them to make it down 281
LMAO. But their is nothing down 281 worth going to we have everything up here.

Old 08-30-2009, 10:43 PM

2,240 posts, read 4,107,191 times
Anything that keeps them above 1604 is okay with me!

Old 08-30-2009, 10:57 PM

1,320 posts, read 2,578,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m22 View Post
We moved here from Michigan a year ago and zeroed in on Stone Oak for the following reasons not completely covered in this thread. (Read with open mind & imagine yourself in a new city with no knowledge of the area.)
1. school district - Coming from MI, NEISD is amazing and these new, gorgeous elementary schools with funding for special programs are a GIFT we did not take for granted. We had heard you either want NEISD or Alamo Heights & we couldn't afford Alamo Heights. Private school too expensive too.
2. Affordability - we sold our home in Detroit in 2008 for LESS than we bought it in 2000. This home was 1300 square feet with no garage, no sprinklers, no fireplace, etc. We came to San Antonio and bought a much larger, newer home with many upgrades in Stone Oak for about the same price as we sold that Detroit house during the worst of the recession! Homes in this area are attractive to transplants because they are beautiful family homes that are affordable when you've just moved from a part of the country where property prices are inflated.
3. Stone Oak seemed to us to be very family friendly. Most subs had a park, pool and a zillion school age kids running around. Most homes we walked through were family homes and it seemed easier to move into a neighborhood with young families like ours. We immediately had something in common with many neighbors.
4. Convenience - being new to an area, it was easy to come into this part of town and see the Target, the Life Time Fitness gym (where we had memberships in MI), the familiar franchise restaurants, etc. and say "I think I could find my way around here." It is attractive, and even comforting to someone who has never lived in SA, and was attractive to us.
5. The hill country views and sunsets. No one has mentioned thee amazing hills. You don't see that elsewhere. I love driving out of my sub and seeing huge rolling hills under that big texas sky.
6. Resale. If this area continues to magically attract people within the next 5 years (it's popularity is undeniable), we will do well on our investment.

P.S. Also recently re-connected on Facebook with two Michigan acquaintances who also recently moved to San Antonio. When I asked where they lived in town, guess what? One is in Rogers Ranch & the other is over off Bulverde.

A big Stone Oak welcome to all weary travelers!
i live in a neighborhood off i-10/ralph fair rd --- about 2 miles outside of san antonio city limits, entering boerne --- we see views of the hills all around us...including standing on our front porch --- just wanted to point out that views of the hills are very possible outside of Stone Oak...

Old 08-31-2009, 09:09 AM

69 posts, read 117,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m22 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstxcop View Post
i live in a neighborhood off i-10/ralph fair rd --- about 2 miles outside of san antonio city limits, entering boerne --- we see views of the hills all around us...including standing on our front porch --- just wanted to point out that views of the hills are very possible outside of Stone Oak...
same here. i'm i-10/babcock. i see downtown out one window and hill country sunsets out the other. my schools arent capped. my roads arent congested. i didnt buy into the SO is the "only" area to live hype.
never ever say your area of san antonio has the "only" of anything...unless you live next to the Alamo, your area may not truly be unique.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanski View Post
same here. i'm i-10/babcock. i see downtown out one window and hill country sunsets out the other. my schools arent capped. my roads arent congested. i didnt buy into the SO is the "only" area to live hype.
never ever say your area of san antonio has the "only" of anything...unless you live next to the Alamo, your area may not truly be unique.
Nobody is saying SO is the only place to live nor did they say it was only place with hills. What is with you people?

BTW I-10 and getting pretty congested it's self they days.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:47 AM

69 posts, read 117,826 times
actually that person did say "You don't see that elsewhere" in their list of why they chose SO

so yeah, they DID say it was the only place lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio