U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 08:07 AM

74 posts, read 163,287 times
Default North East ISD capped school MESS!!!

We just moved to San Antonio from MN and have not had a great experience with the elemetary school process so far. We moved to Stone Oak, in a neighborhood that has a capped school, a BIG mistake. While we did know this, I did not realize that the busing was a complete mess! My children are supposed to go to Canyon Ridge, but are being sent to Stone Oak. That is fine. But... we were informed last night at Meet the Teacher night, that they may not have transportation next week! That is completely unacceptable! I was never informed until last night that transportation was going to be an issue. Canyon Ridge, this summer, told me that we would get transportation to Stone Oak. Had I known this, we would have picked a different area of San Antonio. The guy at the transportation office told me this morning that I need to have a back up plan!!! Well, that may be a problem seeing as we both work! Parents should be told this PRIOR to a few days before school starts. BTW, we wouldn't even have found this out last night had we not stopped at the office on our way out to ask if the routes had been made yet. Then she has us fill out a form that she had to fax to the transportation office last night and tells us it can take 7 days to process! Uh... SCHOOL STARTS MONDAY!!!

Old 08-21-2009, 08:10 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $84,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

14,414 posts, read 20,489,693 times
Surely there will be other parents in the same boat. Maybe the office staff at the school can hook you up with other parents or the PTA, so that you can form a carpool?

Old 08-21-2009, 09:09 AM

1,876 posts, read 3,201,914 times
If you have school age children why would you move into an area where the schools are already so crowded that they are not accepting any more students. If you think the transportation system for school kids is a mess wait until you see the traffic that the general public has to deal with after school starts on Monday in that area. For the life of me I can't see why people are so drawn to that mess out there. Must be some really slick marketing to transplants.

Old 08-21-2009, 09:31 AM

74 posts, read 163,287 times
Well, moving from another state it's kind of hard to know these things before. Yes, we researched, but that only gives you so much info. I guess you don't know until you get here and learn the hard way.

Old 08-21-2009, 09:46 AM

1,876 posts, read 3,201,914 times
Don't feel like the Lone Ranger, there are a lot of people in the same boat out there. Just out of curiosity, why did you choose the Stone Oak area to live. You both work, do you both work in the area? Surely it wasn't the schools since they are capped. For some reason, you move all the way from MN and were convinced that Stone Oak was the best place to settle in San Antonio. Did you know that this is where you wanted to live before you came to town? Did you come to town, look around, and pick Stone Oak as your favorite spot? I'm not trying to be argumentive or a smart alleck. I've just always been curious as to what makes people want to live there.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:14 AM

324 posts, read 748,027 times
yet another reason to home school

Hope it gets sorted out

Old 08-21-2009, 10:24 AM

9 posts, read 13,897 times
I feel your pain. We moved to SA a year ago and had a similar problem when we tried to register my daughter at canyon ridge. However they were able to get an opening in that grade.

there's a lot of people moving into stone oak (and out due to traffic!) and bulverde. this year we were unable to switch to tejeda middle as we are moving to bulverde because they were capped. i have not approach them about the bus to bush middle from our new home yet but am prepared to ferry them myself.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:03 AM

2,967 posts, read 3,758,223 times
Wow. That's horrible. I always thought they had buses over to get the kids if the school was capped. That's pretty lame. I'm not going to mention the "why did you move to that area when you knew the school was capped" stuff because the schools in that area are reason enough to move out that way. And NISD kids deal with that stuff too. I just wish there was an easy solution for you!

Old 08-21-2009, 11:07 AM

5,558 posts, read 9,215,198 times
It's easy to pick on StoneOak, but the same problems are starting to creep up in other fast growing areas like Culebra/Potranco/Westover HIlls, etc. Soon, everyone will be fleeing those areas. Enjoy it while you can, folks!

Old 08-21-2009, 11:13 AM

2,239 posts, read 4,100,722 times
I'm with Snappybob there are so many other areas in NEISD that have schools that are just as good, or better that aren't capped. I feel very little sympathy for people that move to Stone Oak and then realize that the area is over-hyped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio