U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 01:03 PM

1,261 posts, read 1,764,429 times

Advertisements

Good to see this brought back out.

My granddaughter just went to a family wedding that included Disney World. She was assured that nothing she missed could not be made up and she is back up to date with her classmates.

Do not know what she missed at school, but I do know she had a fairy tale experience.

The child still belongs to her/his family and not the state
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 01:25 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,823 posts, read 33,226,435 times
The state directly penalizes districts for not paying attention to attendance. Every day of public school that an enrolled student misses cost the school district ~$30 in state funding. That's $30 per absent student, per day, every day. Yes, the big districts have budgets over $1 billion a year, but they also have tens of thousands of students and every single absence directly affects the district's bottom line.

If you're going to take your kids out of school during the school year, and want to be less of a pariah with the school administration for doing it, consider writing a check to the PTA for more than $30 a day. That way, you're not costing the district anything! You're also benefitting the school, because the PTA pays for things that make the school better.

Old 11-10-2013, 03:07 PM

6,878 posts, read 18,223,046 times
People forget that we don't live in a world any longer where everyone gets 2-3 weeks off during the summer. You do what you gotta do. To me, 5 days out of every year to take a vacation seems a bit much, but that's just me. I can tell you if we won a trip that had to be taken in October, or if we knew we could get the deal of a lifetime in February...well, we just might go.

All the "rules" and bureaucracy about public schools in this thread make me just want to pull both my kids out, and tell the State to go scr*w themselves--I'll homeschool. We are fortunate that so far, both girls are getting a great education, in a safe setting. I don't like *everything* they do, but so far, I can live with it.

Old 11-10-2013, 04:22 PM

1,792 posts, read 2,445,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregorie View Post

The teachers are given more than a week of paid time off, however families can be granted zero flexibility. How can the students be learning when the teacher takes a week for his/her mother's funeral?.
A whole week a year! Whoa! Take time off for a parents funeral? Really? How do you expect anyone to focus on their job when they have just lost a loved parent?

That's why teachers have subs who can carry out the lessons plans put in place by the teacher when absent. I hate to think what your opinion is of six weeks maternity leave for teacher's is.

Old 11-10-2013, 05:13 PM

6,878 posts, read 18,223,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilGar View Post
I know this is what they call it or their excuse. The reality is something called ADA, Average Daily Attendance where the federal government returns taxpayers' money back to the local district based on attendance, no child in class, no money that day.

All I see from all this tightening of attendance rules is every year a higher dropout rate and those that graduate and go to college are less and less prepared for college work.

I never hesitated to take my children out for mini vacations or a "mental health day".

I will not crow of my children's achievements either academically or professionally, but all are successes in their respective fields and show no ill effects of the missed days. In fact, all can remember their days' off and our adventures rather than anything missed during class.

With this said, I never remember a teacher or administrator who did not encourage these sabbaticals from the classroom.
IMHO, it's no one's business what I do with my kids when I take them out of school for a day or even 5. None whatsoever.

My dad died when I was 16, a junior in high school. I thank God he worked for himself and could take time off during the summer, at Thanksgiving and Christmas. We had some great vacations when I was a kid. My husband barely works to get 10 days off per year and a lot of that time gets sucked up by other things he has to do around town (heaven forbid he has to go to the tax office during a weekday) at various times of the year, so it's more like 8 or 9. By the time we're done with family obligations at Thanksgiving and Christmas, that time is whittled down to about 3 full vacation days. I'd give just about anything for him to be able to work for himself as a consultant or similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
The state directly penalizes districts for not paying attention to attendance. Every day of public school that an enrolled student misses cost the school district ~$30 in state funding. That's $30 per absent student, per day, every day. Yes, the big districts have budgets over $1 billion a year, but they also have tens of thousands of students and every single absence directly affects the district's bottom line.

If you're going to take your kids out of school during the school year, and want to be less of a pariah with the school administration for doing it, consider writing a check to the PTA for more than $30 a day. That way, you're not costing the district anything! You're also benefitting the school, because the PTA pays for things that make the school better.
Don't get me started on Texas PTA. And less of a pariah than what? The state education agency?

Old 11-10-2013, 05:16 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,440,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post

It's more like $97 per day.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:59 PM

11,166 posts, read 20,489,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post
It's more like $97 per day.
This is why the schools want you to send in your kids even when they're sick with something contagious or have lice. If the kids have a doctor's appointment, the school wants them to come in first and be counted...they could care less what happens after 9 am but they want them there for the count.

The school that my kids went to last had a game the kids got to play if they had perfect attendence. They played the game four times a year. My kids used to cry when they were sick and had to stay home (because I am a responsible parent and they didn't go if they were running a fever or vomiting) because they didn't want to miss the game. They said all the other kids went to school sick so they didn't miss the game. I complained to the administration about the policy of penalizing the kids for being out sick, and they suggested I bring them in even when they're sick, and then after 9am if they were still feeling ill, they could see the nurse and go home.

I know the schools need their money, but schools used to think more about health issues and less about dollars, when discouraging sick kids to come to school.

Old 11-11-2013, 05:58 AM

1,261 posts, read 1,764,429 times
My grandson in the first grade and I are having a twosome cut for breakfast this year.

This was brought about with his dad telling him the only thing he remembers from first grade was the special mornings that we spent on a late arrival after breakfast with just the two of us.

I can care less about funding that has 30% waste at the local level.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:15 AM

20 posts, read 31,153 times
Maybe if schools wanted to really be better, they could start by eliminating all the mediocre functions and programs. The PTA is the largest scam there is, just a sorry excuse for power-hungry sociopaths to get some "respect".

My daughter was put into the sand (literally) by a group of bullies. She was then stoned (you heard that right). These great citizens then, proceeded to do the same thing to two other girls. No suspension, no consequences, can't afford to have a group of children sit out for a couple of days (at least one) to make a point.

For the control freaks that think taking your children out of school for a few days for a vacation, I have one thing to say: Teach your kids to not be slaves; to have critical thinking and understand that nothing is white or black. The fact that you didn't get to do it doesn't make it right. "I did not get to travel to Europe when I was a child, therefore no one should", really? Can you even listen to yourselves? This is why there are so many immature folks around. People wanting to be young again. There is one time to be a child; let your children live it fully so they don't have to act like children when they become adults.

We have let corporations dictate what "working ethic" is for too long. Children need to be taught to be happy children; they need to be taught the virtue of family time. When did we lose track of this? When did people decide that it is more important to have a nice car than it is to spend time with their loved ones? When did people lose sight of what is important? We have become a nation of mindless drones working like pigs so that we can "live better". Living better is not about owning a 90,000 square foot home and 800 luxury vehicles. Living better is about enjoying life. People should work to live; not live to work. This is the basic problem, most people live beyond their means. By the way if you have to buy anything on credit (except your house) that is a very clear sign that you can't afford it -even cars-.

As more and more people wake up, kids will be able to enjoy the occasional trip with family. To the OP, good for you for deciding that family time is more important!!!

Old 11-11-2013, 10:36 AM

520 posts, read 604,965 times
We ran into this last year when my step-daughters' grandparents were in town from New Mexico for a visit. Contacted their teachers in advance that they would be missing two day days of school , during which we would be going to the Zoo, Witte, Riverwalk, etc. We were informed that these would be marked as unexcused absences. So when the days came the girls were 'sick' instead.

Zero compassion was shown that family was traveling 15 hours to spend a couple days with their grandchildren.

Contrast this with me being granted two weeks of excused absences at the end of my freshman year of high school for a Boy Scout High Adventure Camp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio