U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-11-2015, 12:05 PM
 
3,141 posts, read 5,159,284 times
Reputation: 1748

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho-Villa View Post
Wow, that stinks. My firm starts you out with 4 weeks. Then again, we're Euro based...when one works to live...not lives to work.
I've been in the workforce 38 years. I haven't encountered an employer who would allow earning 4 weeks paid leave, with anything less than 10+ years service. You might be able to accumulate that much leave with less than 10 years, but not earn that much in one year.

2 weeks with less than one year of service is generally the best you're going to find, and to get 3 weeks, usually takes 5 years of service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-11-2015, 12:07 PM
 
Location: Texas
43,409 posts, read 52,403,598 times
Reputation: 70378
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
I've been in the workforce 38 years. I haven't encountered an employer who would allow earning 4 weeks paid leave, with anything less than 10+ years service. You might be able to accumulate that much leave with less than 10 years, but not earn that much in one year.

2 weeks with less than one year of service is generally the best you're going to find, and to get 3 weeks, usually takes 5 years of service.
Huh? 20 days of PTO is pretty standard with all the people I know.
That is four weeks.
From day one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2015, 12:09 PM
 
1,510 posts, read 1,545,691 times
Reputation: 1286
I always knew it was good, but never thought it to be that good. We get 8 weeks after 20 years in..but a lot are retired by then. I'm at 7 weeks with 17.5 years in. I'll have 23 years in at retirement. 5.5 years to go!! Maybe it depends on the type of firm you work for? Or level you are at? I know some who've negotiated their PTO as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2015, 12:30 PM
 
3,141 posts, read 5,159,284 times
Reputation: 1748
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Huh? 20 days of PTO is pretty standard with all the people I know.
That is four weeks.
From day one.
I have never, never, never, in my 38 years in the workforce, encountered an employer who will start at 20 days from day one, including my current (major) employer. Don't expect to get more than 10 days the first year.

Care to share the names of just a few of these many employers who are so generous?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2015, 12:53 PM
 
4,268 posts, read 8,355,736 times
Reputation: 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
I have never, never, never, in my 38 years in the workforce, encountered an employer who will start at 20 days from day one, including my current (major) employer. Don't expect to get more than 10 days the first year.

Care to share the names of just a few of these many employers who are so generous?

Depends on the industry. In some non-profits, the extended leave time makes up for lower salaries,

but I think someone referred to having a Europe-based employer. Five weeks to start is the norm is most of the European countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2015, 02:16 PM
Status: "just keep scrolling then?" (set 13 days ago)
 
14,613 posts, read 31,140,476 times
Reputation: 6656
I've always "started" with 2 weeks of vacation, varying amounts of sick time,(extendable via insurance for short term or long term illnesses) and the standard holidays off. I worked for Aetna many years ago and from day 1 we had 20 days of PTO. You earned a few hours a month from that point so you could really build time up if you didn't use it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2015, 02:21 PM
 
656 posts, read 1,682,308 times
Reputation: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
I have never, never, never, in my 38 years in the workforce, encountered an employer who will start at 20 days from day one, including my current (major) employer. Don't expect to get more than 10 days the first year.

Care to share the names of just a few of these many employers who are so generous?
He did mention that it was PTO or Personal Time Off. Companies who use that language typically don't have separate sick or "personal days". It is all one big category called PTO and you take it as needed whether your are sick or on vacation. Three weeks would be more typical starting PTO, 2 weeks "vacation", 1 week "sick"

My company that is 99% salaried personnel just did away with all forms of formal leave tracking. Just take off when needed, but otherwise get your job done. Now If you're gone for 4 weeks without any coordination upfront I'm sure that will become an issue, but otherwise it seems to be working out so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2015, 03:28 PM
 
1,510 posts, read 1,545,691 times
Reputation: 1286
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty12 View Post
He did mention that it was PTO or Personal Time Off. Companies who use that language typically don't have separate sick or "personal days". It is all one big category called PTO and you take it as needed whether your are sick or on vacation. Three weeks would be more typical starting PTO, 2 weeks "vacation", 1 week "sick"

My company that is 99% salaried personnel just did away with all forms of formal leave tracking. Just take off when needed, but otherwise get your job done. Now If you're gone for 4 weeks without any coordination upfront I'm sure that will become an issue, but otherwise it seems to be working out so far.
No, we have sick and personal days as well. Only 5 sick and 2 personal though..on top of the vacation (PTO). So, you'd start out with 20 vacation, 5 sick and 2 personal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2015, 03:30 PM
 
1,510 posts, read 1,545,691 times
Reputation: 1286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Depends on the industry. In some non-profits, the extended leave time makes up for lower salaries,

but I think someone referred to having a Europe-based employer. Five weeks to start is the norm is most of the European countries.
This is right...we are actually a little below the norm, based on Euro standards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2015, 06:51 PM
 
4,268 posts, read 8,355,736 times
Reputation: 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho-Villa View Post
This is right...we are actually a little below the norm, based on Euro standards.
I've also known people working in the US, in US-based companies, who negotiated for longer leave periods when they came to the US so it's part of their contract to have 5 weeks at the start even if their company standard is 2 weeks..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top