Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 03:25 PM

12 posts, read 78,891 times

Advertisements

Linda has asked the question about why I had planned it during the school year. As I said before, this is the first state I have ever come to that had these types of restrictions before. And we planned this trip in the fall before we had any idea we were coming to Texas. We were living in Virginia where it was not a problem. They have attended schools in PA, MD, VA and Indiana and there wasn't an issue. There is always the question of making up work, which does get harder as a child gets older and they miss things. But we didn't think he would miss much in Kindergarten.

This isn't a case of a child just missing random days and their parents not sending them to school. And I understand where there are only so many days he can miss. But another poster did give me cause for concern...... my son has been totally healthy, but he has never been in a daycare environment so I don't know what to expect as far as getting sick. He did go to preschool when he was 4, but if he had the slightest cold I did not send him.

So if I take him out 5 days for vacation, then he has a bad year with getting sick, I can see where it might be a problem according to Texas Law. It would be horrible to have to have him repeat school. I don't want to mess up my families plans, but based on what people are saying, I might want to wait till later next year to see how he does with absences.

We haven't bought the tickets yet (thank goodness) but were planning for the end of October/early November.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 03:56 PM

1,366 posts, read 4,470,692 times
^^^ you were probably talking about my post and my daughter being sick alot in kinder --- just wanted to say our oldest daughter also did NOT attend daycare and was also sick ALOT in kinder...she missed alot of school that year also...

i am fully expecting our son, who again, like his sisters, has never stepped foot in a daycare, will be just as sick his kinder year and will miss alot of school as well...

Old 08-21-2009, 04:15 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,595,042 times
I still don't understand why a parent would deliberately take their child out of school for vacation during the school year. That makes no sense to me. It isn't like they don't get time off.

Old 08-21-2009, 04:37 PM

12 posts, read 78,891 times
Default They take them out of school because...

Have you ever tried to take a vacation during school breaks? Some of the most popular vacation spots where you would take your children are overcrowded and expensive beyond words. Airfares are doubled, car rental rates are doubled, hotel pricing is doubled.

During our 22 years in the military, money was tight. We always enjoyed our family time when we could go somewhere and not have crowds. Be it the national parks, Disney, cruises etc. We also had to plan according to my husband's schedule. Whether he was deployed or not. So one year we went to Hawaii before he got sent to Korea for a year. We took the kids out of school and went in May. Thank goodness the Hale Koa is there for military families to vacation at a reasonable price.

We worked with what we had available to us. And for some people 5 days out of school is worth it to save the money and have those experiences with their family.

Old 08-21-2009, 04:55 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,785,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vzwkelly View Post
Have you ever tried to take a vacation during school breaks? Some of the most popular vacation spots where you would take your children are overcrowded and expensive beyond words. Airfares are doubled, car rental rates are doubled, hotel pricing is doubled.

During our 22 years in the military, money was tight. We always enjoyed our family time when we could go somewhere and not have crowds. Be it the national parks, Disney, cruises etc. We also had to plan according to my husband's schedule. Whether he was deployed or not. So one year we went to Hawaii before he got sent to Korea for a year. We took the kids out of school and went in May. Thank goodness the Hale Koa is there for military families to vacation at a reasonable price.

We worked with what we had available to us. And for some people 5 days out of school is worth it to save the money and have those experiences with their family.
Hmmm sounds eerily familiar...

Old 08-21-2009, 04:56 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,785,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
Usually they do it because it's cheaper and/or less crowded.
Yup. That's why they do it.

Old 08-21-2009, 04:57 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,595,042 times
It's a matter of opinion and personal preference. I wouldn't take my kids out of school for vacation. My parents didn't take me out of school for vacation. In fact, I didn't know anyone who took their kids out of school for vacation until I was well into my 30s. I was sort of shocked to find out that people actually did that.

Old 08-21-2009, 05:56 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,973,640 times
Thanksgiving week is a good time to take a family vacation. Vacation destinations are less crowded because most peoples' vacation focus is on Turkey Day family gatherings and most school districts in other parts of the country don't get the entire week of Thanksgiving off.

My family did Disney on Thanksgiving Day a few years back. It worked well!

Old 08-21-2009, 06:58 PM

898 posts, read 2,554,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGrace View Post
It's a matter of opinion and personal preference. I wouldn't take my kids out of school for vacation. My parents didn't take me out of school for vacation. In fact, I didn't know anyone who took their kids out of school for vacation until I was well into my 30s. I was sort of shocked to find out that people actually did that.
My parents took me out for vacation quite a few times. It was great, if i remember correctly

Old 08-21-2009, 07:19 PM

304 posts, read 1,322,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Thanksgiving week is a good time to take a family vacation. Vacation destinations are less crowded because most peoples' vacation focus is on Turkey Day family gatherings and most school districts in other parts of the country don't get the entire week of Thanksgiving off.

My family did Disney on Thanksgiving Day a few years back. It worked well!
This is exactly what I was going to suggest for a lovely Fall vacation. The local public schools here (at least in San Antonio) all get the entire week of Thanksgiving. You could even plan your trip to be back for the actual Thanksgiving day if you left on Friday after school. Just an idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio