Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 07:42 PM

14 posts, read 48,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
I had a serious lug problem, but I didn't qualify for a placard. I just divorced him and that helped tremendously.
Very funny. Maybe it is good I mis-spelled it.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:53 PM

192 posts, read 592,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaryc View Post
Park at HEB or WalMart and watch. I stand by my 75% estimate.
And how do you know? Despite what you think, you CANNOT tell with people with some handicaps. Unless you walk around with a portable MRI machine that can see the lesions on my spinal cord.

I KNOW this, because I once had a judgemental asswipe stop me and begin berating me for misusing a handicapped placard. Before I gave him a complete earful for being a complete dick, I reached into my purse where I keep a letter I had my doctor compose for me for my multiple sclerosis medication for when I travel with needles.

Multiple sclerosis causes any number of nasty symptoms, but one of the main ones is not being able to walk very well. I may walk just fine going into the store (and obviously incurring your ire), but coming out after 2 hours, I DON'T. My legs don't want to cooperate.

The truth is that it is none of your damned business what goes on between my doctor and I. But I'd gladly park somewhere else in the lot if I could get rid of this stupid disease.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:04 PM

14 posts, read 48,086 times
I don't mean to get under your skin. I am not talking about you or anyone who has a legitimate handicap. I respect your need so much that I wish these cheaters would shop taking all the handicap spots so you have one when you need it. I believe you and the others in need make up 25% or less of people using these spaces. The rest are cheaters. Take a look. They are young, healthy and have nothing wrong with them.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:22 PM

192 posts, read 592,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaryc View Post
I don't mean to get under your skin. I am not talking about you or anyone who has a legitimate handicap. I respect your need so much that I wish these cheaters would shop taking all the handicap spots so you have one when you need it. I believe you and the others in need make up 25% or less of people using these spaces. The rest are cheaters. Take a look. They are young, healthy and have nothing wrong with them.
You say that, but if you saw me get out of my car on a good day before shopping, you'd think I was one of those people. I'm 43, and I look perfectly healthy. The truth is, you don't know. And it's not your business to monitor anyone.

Old 08-21-2009, 09:33 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,890,638 times
Wow, what a sensitive subject! So you know I gotta jump right into the discussion!

First, I have a question...I have been told that the city authorizes anyone with a disabled veteran license plate to park in handicap parking; but I have not been able to find the ordnance. If true I would qualify, but there is no way I would ever use one as my disability isn't bad enough to keep me from walking from the regular parking spaces.

But I do understand the OP's frustration, I have seen a single person pick up a TV box from a cart and place it in the car that was parked in a handicap spot, then get in the car and drive away by themselves leaving the car in the middle of the lot (a double whammy!). There was no one else in the car, and I did check!

Back in "the day," these spots were reserved for those who were physically disabled; but these days it seems like being grossly overweight is a physical disability that qualifies people to park in handicapped spots and ride around in those little carts at Walmart and HEB.

I will agree that there is a noticeable number of individuals who don't appear to have any physical ailments that require parking in these spots, and that a lot of people are taking advantage of the ease in which it takes to get one of these placards.

And it isn't so much that these people are parking there as it is they are keeping those who have much more severe physical disabilities from doing so! So no, they aren't affecting me but they are affecting someone who probably needs to park in these spots more than they do!

Therein lies the rub, and there is nothing wrong with people questioning the sight of apparently healthy individuals parking in handicapped spots. If they have a legitimate reason, why is it such an issue asking what it is? I think the big problem is some don't have a legitimate reaason, and those are the people the OP is targeting, and rightly so! If they are not legally eligible to park there, they are breaking the law and isn't that the civic duty of all citizens to point out lawbreakers?!?

Cheers! M2

Old 08-21-2009, 10:01 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,329,574 times
Gotta disagree major. If they don't have a handicap sticker, by all means they should be immediately accosted, tarred and feathered by random strangers diligently patrolling the parking lot for handicap parking violators.

But, demanding to know what health problems someone has to make sure they are not misusing a handicap sticker?? That is not civic duty, just bad manners. Health issues are a very personal matter and are nobody's business.

And if they are, in fact, misusing a handicap sticker...I'm a firm believer in what comes around goes around. They may get away with it today, but one day they may actually need that handicap space and --- surprise, surprise -- won't be able to find one.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:44 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,624,243 times
My wife has a handicap placard. She keeps the accompanying paperwork in the glove box as she was told. Also, I ALWAYS ask her if she is going into the store with me before parking in a handicap slot. If she says no, then I do not park in the slot. As I see it, the placard is only for the handicap person who is getting out of the car to go somewhere.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:56 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,159,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Forest View Post
Especially the teenagers....
I'm sorry you didn't like that gutless....the truth hurts, huh ??.

Last edited by Deep Forest; 08-21-2009 at 11:42 PM..

Old 08-21-2009, 11:01 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,487,079 times
laziness is a handicap along with Obesity..... HA HA HA, who am I kidding, I recentley hurt my leg, and If you seen a limping guy who needs a hair cut at the Millitary/410, Potranco Wallmart's then its me LOL, any ways it really bothers me, when I see lazy chubby people in their 30's taking all those electric scooters, and leaving people who really need them left standing there. It makes me happy when I see an older gentlemen or lady walking even though they take longer to get there. you can still see the willpower in their eyes.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:13 AM

546 posts, read 1,493,891 times
My dad has been a bus driver for a major bus company for years and he told me that he had a rather large obese woman complain to him and told him he needed to find her a rest area with a sizable bathroom because the one on the bus did not accommodate her..it was built too small. While i understand bus bathrooms and ones on planes are not the largest why should the rest of the world accommodate laziness and size... It drives me nuts when i see people who are just flat out large and they have these handicapped spots...i think to myself...gosh if you parked a little further it just might do you some good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio