Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 11:28 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,392,256 times

Advertisements

oh don't even get me started on the scooter people...

Old 08-21-2009, 11:33 PM

4,845 posts, read 3,272,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaryc View Post
I should have said "people with these reasons". I am trying to focus on the cheaters not the examples of people who don't look handicaped but have valid impairments. I know and respect their need.

I do want people who are in danger of a heart attack and such to get special consideration, that is what the spaces are there for.

My concern is that when that heart patient etc. shows up, the cheaters haven't taken all the spaces and there's non left for the the people who really need them.

Gary
I'm not sure I've ever seen all the handicap parking filled at one time at the Seguin WalMart Supercenter. Of course, they have like the first 6 spaces in 14 rows reserved...

Old 08-22-2009, 05:54 AM

14 posts, read 48,203 times
My original quote asks people to give their witness of cheaters they have seen. You are in the perfect position to report on this. Tell us about the cheaters you have seen taking all the handicap spaces when you were in such pain and need one. Tell us when you have seen a perfectly healthy teen or adult taking a spot you needed.

Old 08-22-2009, 06:27 AM

192 posts, read 594,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svg210 View Post
laziness is a handicap along with Obesity..... HA HA HA, who am I kidding, I recentley hurt my leg, and If you seen a limping guy who needs a hair cut at the Millitary/410, Potranco Wallmart's then its me LOL, any ways it really bothers me, when I see lazy chubby people in their 30's taking all those electric scooters, and leaving people who really need them left standing there. It makes me happy when I see an older gentlemen or lady walking even though they take longer to get there. you can still see the willpower in their eyes.
"Lazy chubby people....." This is so offensive I don't know where to begin. As I said, I'm early 40s. I look just fine. I have a major chronic illness. AND I now have a few extra pounds because with MS, it's impossible for me to walk as much as I used to.

I used to walk 6-9 miles every day to keep in shape. You try doing that when you can't make your legs cooperate because the nerves in them are shot. Especially in the Texan heat. At least up here it's easier for me to walk the short walk around our park to walk our dog.

In this case, you might want to ask yourself which came first...the obesity? Or the disease that caused them to become obese? Show a little freaking sensitivity for God's sake. We must ALL be fat because we shovel in Doritos.

Old 08-22-2009, 06:49 AM

324 posts, read 1,308,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cha Ching View Post
"Lazy chubby people....." This is so offensive I don't know where to begin. As I said, I'm early 40s. I look just fine. I have a major chronic illness. AND I now have a few extra pounds because with MS, it's impossible for me to walk as much as I used to.

I used to walk 6-9 miles every day to keep in shape. You try doing that when you can't make your legs cooperate because the nerves in them are shot. Especially in the Texan heat. At least up here it's easier for me to walk the short walk around our park to walk our dog.

In this case, you might want to ask yourself which came first...the obesity? Or the disease that caused them to become obese? Show a little freaking sensitivity for God's sake. We must ALL be fat because we shovel in Doritos.

I too deal with this - I'm 24 and look healthy except for being obese & using a power wheelchair. What people don't know is that obesity is caused by Graves Disease, an auto-immune hyper thyroid problem, that along with the weight gain from medications {over 100 lbs in a year's time while FOLLOWING weight watchers} it also causes my heart rate to sky rocket with the slightest activity, and causes a whole host of other related issues.

And if I had $1 for every time i over heard someone say "well that woman is just being lazy using a power chair" I could easily pay off both my student loans and mortgage.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:19 AM

1,642 posts, read 4,093,559 times
LOL! Same song, new verse. Just because someone (obese or not) can enter a store on their power doesn't mean they don't need a scooter to navigate the store, esp a big one like Walmart or Sams. "Ailments" are not always visible, and again, it's none of peoples business.

I used one a lot a few years ago when I has a broken leg, and got dirty looks even when the cast was still on! I won't lie, it's fun to have a horn, but creeping thru the store at 1/2 MPH is no joyride. If someone is using one, it's because they need it, not because they are lazy.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:25 AM

1,720 posts, read 4,505,100 times
Quote:

thats not the problem I'm talking about. I see plenty people get up and walk fine after they park their scooter , thats why I said Lazy Chubby pepole.

I am Chubby, I hurt my leg a while ago, and I still push through the pain!, theres no way in hell I am going to use a power chair just because my leg hurts, theres plenty of other people that actually need it. I dont want to be the one that leaves an old man that can barely walk, or has a disablity standing, you'd be surprised what you can achieve if you cut down on sweets, beer, and carbs.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
oh don't even get me started on the scooter people...

have you seen the grumpy old lady at the walmart on potranco? shes there almost every day. That lady runs people over LOL

Old 08-22-2009, 07:30 AM

Quote:
And how do you know? Despite what you think, you CANNOT tell with people with some handicaps. Unless you walk around with a portable MRI machine that can see the lesions on my spinal cord.

I KNOW this, because I once had a judgemental asswipe stop me and begin berating me for misusing a handicapped placard. Before I gave him a complete earful for being a complete dick, I reached into my purse where I keep a letter I had my doctor compose for me for my multiple sclerosis medication for when I travel with needles.

Multiple sclerosis causes any number of nasty symptoms, but one of the main ones is not being able to walk very well. I may walk just fine going into the store (and obviously incurring your ire), but coming out after 2 hours, I DON'T. My legs don't want to cooperate.

The truth is that it is none of your damned business what goes on between my doctor and I. But I'd gladly park somewhere else in the lot if I could get rid of this stupid disease.
well since your injury is legit, how would you feel if a cheater leaves you standing in front of a store when he takes the scooter right in front of your face?

Old 08-22-2009, 08:17 AM

14 posts, read 48,203 times
Good job Major

Handicap spaces are wider than normal spaces. This is for loading and unloading the equipement that assists the disabled to get in the store. When they first appeared we respected these spaces as being for those people who are confined to a wheelchair. The purpose was to give freedom to these people so they could get around on their own. At least that is the way I remember it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio