U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 08:24 AM

3,500 posts, read 5,161,927 times

Advertisements

I don't really notice many cheaters in my neck of the woods, but that may be because there are always tons of Handicap Parking spaces available. It appears to me that way more spaces than are necessary are allocated to handicap parking. Everytime I go to any supermarket here, the whole line of spaces in front of the store are empty.

Old 08-22-2009, 08:24 AM

14 posts, read 44,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cha Ching View Post
"Lazy chubby people....." This is so offensive I don't know where to begin. As I said, I'm early 40s. I look just fine. I have a major chronic illness. AND I now have a few extra pounds because with MS, it's impossible for me to walk as much as I used to.

I used to walk 6-9 miles every day to keep in shape. You try doing that when you can't make your legs cooperate because the nerves in them are shot. Especially in the Texan heat. At least up here it's easier for me to walk the short walk around our park to walk our dog.

In this case, you might want to ask yourself which came first...the obesity? Or the disease that caused them to become obese? Show a little freaking sensitivity for God's sake. We must ALL be fat because we shovel in Doritos.
I notice your statements are all in defense of yourself. No one has accused you of anything. The topic here is "Handicap Chearters" and wheather you can substantiate these real and flagrant obvious cheaters. Note we are not even talking about the truly disabled here (25%). They deserve a handicap spot. Cheaters DO NOT!

Old 08-22-2009, 08:45 AM

14 posts, read 44,771 times
Default Free All Day Downtown Parking- Just get a handicap placard

- Use prime metered parking locations in the downtown area FREE ALL DAY
- Park at the front everywhere you go.
- No waiting for spaces to open up at busy resturants.

Just have your doctor write a percription for a handicap placard. Or have your grandmother ask her doctor and then use her placard.

Old 08-22-2009, 08:53 AM

6,585 posts, read 22,837,356 times
The city of Dallas just stopped allowing cars with handicap placards to park free at meters. It was such a scam. After the law changed, all of those cars disappeared. Amazing. I thnk you can actually buy those placards in the underground market.

Old 08-22-2009, 10:09 AM

8,400 posts, read 20,119,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaryc View Post
- Use prime metered parking locations in the downtown area FREE ALL DAY
- Park at the front everywhere you go.
- No waiting for spaces to open up at busy resturants.

Just have your doctor write a percription for a handicap placard. Or have your grandmother ask her doctor and then use her placard.
Actually, the city allows those with disabled veteran license plates to park free in all of its lots, to include the airport. I have those tags on my Jeep but have never utilized the free parking, but I do consider it a nice gesture on the city's part!

And, for those of you who have legitimate reasons to have handicap placards, this thread is not about you! It is about those who knowingly game the system to obtain them, or misuse those beloining to others. I work with a guy who has survived two bouts of cancer, and he has them. He does still have health issues which allow him to have one. But the guy at Best Buy putting the TV in his car took the cake, and I have seen many other people who are just too "peppy" to have something that qualifies them to park there.

No matter what people claim, we all know there is a large number of people misusing handicap parking, and those are the ones the OP was talking about and I fully agree!

Old 08-22-2009, 11:00 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,332,646 times
String em' up! Light the fire! Oh what-oh-what are these god-awful people thinking!

We STILL have bigger fish to fry in this city than spending this much time on handicap parking abuses. I'm in awe that it's now morphed into a 5 page spread, complete with editorials on the very latest and greatest Rascal Scooter technology...

Can't we just get back to talking about the most fat-causing burger you've just eaten in San Antonio? I wistfully miss those ol' days.

BN

Old 08-22-2009, 11:57 AM

4,796 posts, read 13,718,331 times
It is an issue...but I agree that 75% is a very large number. It also depends on where you shop. Some places attract more of the unsavory types that will abuse this. Other places, no so badly. And I think of my little 85 year old mother who can hardly walk and has severe chronic back pain. If a close enough space is available that is NOT handicapped, she will park there to allow someone else to use reserved space! mom??? oh well....

Moderator cut: orphaned

Last edited by Bo; 08-23-2009 at 04:17 PM.. Reason: orphaned - the thread title has been updated

Old 08-22-2009, 01:29 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,008,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
It is an issue...but I agree that 75% is a very large number. It also depends on where you shop. Some places attract more of the unsavory types that will abuse this. Other places, no so badly. And I think of my little 85 year old mother who can hardly walk and has severe chronic back pain. If a close enough space is available that is NOT handicapped, she will park there to allow someone else to use reserved space! mom??? oh well....

This title is also misleading. Disabled people are not abusing this system. Honestly, when I saw the title to this thread I thought this was going to be about some bizarre reality show. "Handicapped Cheaters".
these cheaters dont have insurance also, and are always driving with temporary plates. hmmmhmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
The city of Dallas just stopped allowing cars with handicap placards to park free at meters. It was such a scam. After the law changed, all of those cars disappeared. Amazing. I thnk you can actually buy those placards in the underground market.
I've seen some at our local Swap Meet, and Flea Market. these sell next to forged documents, Id cards etc.. You get faster service there, than at your local whataburger

Old 08-22-2009, 01:31 PM

5,633 posts, read 13,950,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post

Can't we just get back to talking about the most fat-causing burger you've just eaten in San Antonio? I wistfully miss those ol' days.

BN
But that will cause more people to get handicap placards.

Old 08-22-2009, 01:39 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,008,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaryc View Post
I notice your statements are all in defense of yourself. No one has accused you of anything. The topic here is "Handicap Chearters" and wheather you can substantiate these real and flagrant obvious cheaters. Note we are not even talking about the truly disabled here (25%). They deserve a handicap spot. Cheaters DO NOT!

It wasnt my intent to arouse offense. But I understand her point of view, because when I got hurt years ago, I got a prescription for a strong muscle relaxant that gave me really weird side effects. Long story short I started getting a few insecurites liike peeing myself infront of people etc.... those were the worst 3 months I have ever lived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio