U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 03:36 PM

5,615 posts, read 12,837,497 times

Advertisements

They probably don't speak Chinese - my guess is those are who they fled here to escape. I'll ask someone I know who voulenteers here how many are around next time I see her.

From what she tells me, the programs are geared largely towards helping them understand English. The way any bilingual program should be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 07:21 PM

872 posts, read 2,605,799 times
Just FYI for the OP - The district more than likely does not WANT to test them in English. They HAVE to test them in English at a certain point. For example, recent immigrants have only 2 or 3 years before they have to be tested in English (my school is 99% Hispanic, but we don't have a large number of recent immigrants, so I can't remember for sure if it is 2 or 3 years - I only know it's not very long. I cannot imagine my family moving me to another country when no one in my family speaks English, but then having to quickly learn English at school plus learn the overall curriculum at the same time, including making sure I am learning it in a way that will be tested on TAKS. That's a lot to ask of kids, especially our younger learners.). Hopefully any strong program would include teaching that you do not get "off" of a car (unless you are on top of it for some reason), but instead you get out of one; that you do not tell someone a question ("I told my mom if I could go to my friend's house.") but rather ask a question; that the hard stuff under your feet outside is the ground and not the floor... as these types of inaccuracies in speaking do come through in a student's writing as well and can cause them to receive a lower score on the Writing TAKS tests (and continue to impact their writing throughout high school and college). I know the program at my school seems to be lacking in this area, but I don't know how it is elsewhere.

Do you have information on the specific funds they are receiving, how those funds are allowed to be spent, and documentation that it is not being applied in an approved manner based on the funding source? If you provide the specifics in your letter, that might help further your cause.

Dopo, bilingual ed really does vary per district so it is hard to define it with specifics. In our area, bilingual ed is fairly common at the elementary level while ESL is not; as they move to middle school and high school, ESL is common while bilingual is not. Our district is in the beginning stages of implementing dual language for our very young learners; this program will expand as time goes on. I think many districts are doing dual language now as well based upon job postings I saw this summer. I currently teach 2nd; we do not have dual language at that grade level, so the bilingual teacher for 2nd follows the program as it has been in the past. Science and Math are done completely in Spanish. Reading/Language Arts are taught in English with a small portion of the designated English/Language Arts block dedicated to ESL strategies. Social Studies in English is especially hard at this age because there is so much academic language they have to take in; it actually seems like our bilingual teacher last year did it in both English and Spanish, but the teacher this year is attempting it in English... As students move up in grade level, the percentage of English instruction increases while Spanish instruction decreases.

As someone else mentioned, in San Antonio bilingual ed is just Spanish/English, so it seems recent immigrants with other languages are basically SOL since there aren't programs for them. It seems that if districts do offer bilingual in Spanish/English at the elementary level, then they should also have to at least offer an ESL program in elementary to recent immigrants - or I guess any speaker of another language, since the majority of our bilingual students aren't actually recent immigrants either nor are their parents - who speak other languages. If we are able to provide services to students who speak Spanish, then we should also provide similar services to students who speak other languages as well so that all students have an opportunity to learn. It shouldn't really be based on the number of students who speak a specific language, just as special ed programs aren't based on the number of students...

Last edited by buffy888; 08-27-2009 at 07:23 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-27-2009, 07:53 PM

15,065 posts, read 19,710,115 times
That sounds like an analysis of somebody that knows about it
instead of some comments that some people give.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:37 PM

8,240 posts, read 15,251,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Everybody seems to be an expert on "bilingual education" but nobody can tell exactly what it consists off?
BE is the teaching of all subjects in a child's native language, usually Spanish. It is supposed to be phased out by 3rd or 4th grade, I believe. ESL is a pull out of kids from a regular classroom. It is basically instruction in English. The child attends all subjects in English.

Old 09-02-2009, 01:02 PM

13 posts, read 30,103 times
Thank you all for your comments.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:42 AM

3 posts, read 3,501 times
they need a bilingual program and they need to get it going now! i have a friend from SA who argues that "pozole" is pronounced "pazolay" and " that "chiles rellenos" is "chili reenos" and that "carne GUIsada" is "carnee keesadah" wtf? his mother spoke very little english and was fluent but these kids either have no concept of what correct spanish is or the latter, which i think is more fitting. they are in denial that they are "mexican and they lack pride in their heritage." this friend refers many people as beaners, has long hair, listens to heavy metal and refuses to acknowledge his race, it seems. anyhow i guess to each his own but damn it, i want to slap him every time he mispronounces a word and insists that that is how it is said, and he is serious about it. if you are going to deny your race, even tho you clearly look like your name is juan jose hernandez garcia, shut the hell up and save yourself the embarrassment! jeez!

Old 02-13-2010, 07:55 AM

1,128 posts, read 790,354 times
Perhaps we should learn to write and speak English correctly while we're at it.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:58 PM

2,721 posts, read 3,431,784 times
Default You are nuts, Tex-Mex is spanish,

Of course it is spanish. Incomprehensible conclusion, I have communicated with any spanish speakers from different countries and never had any problem , ever. Only inflections and enunciation may differ as in Aussie or Brit english speakers.
I have communicated with Italians even and given them street destination
instructions at a gas station, it is similar to spanish enough to get across
ideas.
Only a Cuban I once met- ever used such an extreme street slang
it was -different. I believe it was mixed in with an African dilaect
as it was quite different.
But Spaniards, Guatemalans, Texans, Mexicans etc. , spanish, is identical.
I can deduct you don't speak spanish though, that much is actually
a fact.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HisLilSecret View Post
While I support bilingual education, I would have to argue that, while some families do speak Spanish at home, I doubt that 44% speak Spanish properly. Having grown up on the Southside, I can attest to that fact. They may THINK it's Spanish, but, in the real world, they would be at a disadvantage. Tex-Mex is NOT Spanish; more like Chicano ebonics.

I agree, though, that by receiving funding for bilingual education, but not providing it, South San is doing its community a great disservice and steps need to be taken to correct it.

Old 08-13-2010, 01:56 PM

13 posts, read 30,103 times
Thank you all for your replies and I hope South San ISD can fix this issue because they are stealing money.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:52 PM

2,721 posts, read 3,431,784 times
Default Yes,

You wax profound about the obvious. But that doesn't even address the issue about the funding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
If they're accepting funds for a program, they should use it for that program, BUT....English IS the primary language in this country, and students should be taught in English. To not do so would be damaging to the child in the future. The best way to completely learn a language is total immersion, and while the students may struggle with it at the beginning, they will quickly become VERY adept at the English language.

People should be proud of their heritage. But to be able to achieve at a very high level in this country, you need to know the language fluently.

Teach them to be fluent in Spanish at home, but they should be completely educated in the English language, just like you'd expect someone else to be fluent in the language of any country they're living in. It will only help the child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio