U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 09:40 AM

13 posts, read 29,989 times

Advertisements

Dear Mr. Durbon, South San I.S.D Superintendent

I am writing because I am confused and do not understand why a district in the heart of the South Side of San Antonio (with over 95% Hispanics) does not have a bilingual program. Oh, that’s right, you call it Early Exit, which means the same thing, that there is no Bilingual program.
We are being told that our children’s primary language is not “good enough” for them to learn. Bilingual students are being taught in English beginning in Pre-K and Kinder.

This is discriminating to students. Even though you do not have a bilingual program, you gladly accept millions of $$$$$ dollars in bilingual funds. Yet, this money is not being used for our bilingual children. You are taking their money and using it wrongfully. This money should be used to support programs for our bilingual children.

Perhaps this explains your Unacceptable Standing. Instead of criticizing the TEA’s rating and trying to make an excuse for your Unacceptable rating, you should review your lack of a Bilingual program.

It is unfortunate that my children are being deprived their primary language. I am a well-educated single mother who wants the best for her children. I believe that children who succeed in 2 languages are SMARTER!!!

Yes, I understand that you want them tested in English. However, you do not give them the opportunity to learn cognitive skills in their primary language and transfer it to English. This has proven to be SUCCESSFUL in your neighbor districts.

I have done some research, and districts with STRONG dual language bilingual programs, for example Harlandale, Alamo Heights, East Central, SAISD properly prepare bilingual students AND have “ACCEPTABLE RATINGS.”

Just like you take away a children’s right show their belief in GOD, you are taking away their right to learn and be BILINGUAL.
Please stop taking shortcuts in education. Stop doing what is easier or less paperwork.

How would you feel if I told you, you had to take your classes in CHINESE or a foreign language? Wouldn’t you be confused and feel incompetent?

I am forwarding this letter to the TEA, principals and to local news stations.

I really do hope that you will take this letter seriously and do what is RIGHT with your Bilingual money. Or Maybe it will take an audit to help you Change your Mind!!!

USE it for your Bilingual Students!

Sincerely,
A Bilingual mother
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 09:48 AM

4,149 posts, read 9,303,154 times
If they're accepting funds for a program, they should use it for that program, BUT....English IS the primary language in this country, and students should be taught in English. To not do so would be damaging to the child in the future. The best way to completely learn a language is total immersion, and while the students may struggle with it at the beginning, they will quickly become VERY adept at the English language.

People should be proud of their heritage. But to be able to achieve at a very high level in this country, you need to know the language fluently.

Teach them to be fluent in Spanish at home, but they should be completely educated in the English language, just like you'd expect someone else to be fluent in the language of any country they're living in. It will only help the child.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:18 AM

15,062 posts, read 19,621,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
If they're accepting funds for a program, they should use it for that program, BUT....English IS the primary language in this country, and students should be taught in English.
What happened to the whole thing about "Each district decides what to teach"?
Or is that only used when is convenient, when people want to set a national standard for education?

What percentage of people in San Antonio speak Spanish?

http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list...te-org-us.html

Organization of U.S. Education
The United States has a decentralized education system based upon our federal Constitution, which reserves power over education to the states and local authorities, as well as to individual schools and higher education institutions.

Last edited by Dopo; 08-26-2009 at 10:27 AM..

Old 08-26-2009, 10:25 AM

Thank you kevcrawford and to whoever sent me that direct message that was uncalled for.

The reason I posted this was to inform people that our local school districts are pocketing money for programs that they are not promoting. I understand that the primary language is English and not Spanish, French, German, etc..

I am upset that South San I.S.D offers a bilingual program but then does not teach bilingual. If the Alamo Heights I.S.D can have bilingual (Dual-Language) program, then why can't South San have one.

If we lived up North then this topic would not exist but we live in San Antonio where spanish is spoken everday.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:32 AM

''What happened to the whole thing about "Each district decides what to teach"?
Or is that only used when is convenient, when people want to set a national standard for education?''

''What percentage of people in San Antonio speak Spanish?''

This survey was done in 2007:
53.3% of residents of San Antonio speak English at home.
44.0% of residents speak Spanish at home (65% speak English very well, 20% speak English well, 10% speak English not well, 4% don't speak English at all).
1.4% of residents speak other Indo-European language at home (79% speak English very well, 16% speak English well, 5% speak English not well, 1% don't speak English at all).
1.1% of residents speak Asian or Pacific Island language at home (55% speak English very well, 28% speak English well, 15% speak English not well, 2% don't speak English at all).
0.3% of residents speak other language at home (69% speak English very well, 21% speak English well, 9% speak English not well, 2% don't speak English at all).

Last edited by act532; 08-26-2009 at 10:34 AM.. Reason: font edit

Old 08-26-2009, 10:43 AM

4,149 posts, read 9,303,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by act532 View Post
Thank you kevcrawford and to whoever sent me that direct message that was uncalled for.

The reason I posted this was to inform people that our local school districts are pocketing money for programs that they are not promoting. I understand that the primary language is English and not Spanish, French, German, etc..

I am upset that South San I.S.D offers a bilingual program but then does not teach bilingual. If the Alamo Heights I.S.D can have bilingual (Dual-Language) program, then why can't South San have one.

If we lived up North then this topic would not exist but we live in San Antonio where spanish is spoken everday.
Oh I think we all agree that if they're accepting money for it, they should be using it. That's an issue we should all care about. Especially since it's OUR money.

Your post definitely brings something to light that should be seen. For people to be DM'ing you, if the messages are rude, is uncalled for. We don't all have to agree, but we do need to treat each other with some civility.

Old 08-26-2009, 02:06 PM

452 posts, read 905,414 times
Quote:
''What happened to the whole thing about "Each district decides what to teach"?
Or is that only used when is convenient, when people want to set a national standard for education?''

''What percentage of people in San Antonio speak Spanish?''

This survey was done in 2007:
53.3% of residents of San Antonio speak English at home.
44.0% of residents speak Spanish at home (65% speak English very well, 20% speak English well, 10% speak English not well, 4% don't speak English at all).
1.4% of residents speak other Indo-European language at home (79% speak English very well, 16% speak English well, 5% speak English not well, 1% don't speak English at all).
1.1% of residents speak Asian or Pacific Island language at home (55% speak English very well, 28% speak English well, 15% speak English not well, 2% don't speak English at all).
0.3% of residents speak other language at home (69% speak English very well, 21% speak English well, 9% speak English not well, 2% don't speak English at all).
While I support bilingual education, I would have to argue that, while some families do speak Spanish at home, I doubt that 44% speak Spanish properly. Having grown up on the Southside, I can attest to that fact. They may THINK it's Spanish, but, in the real world, they would be at a disadvantage. Tex-Mex is NOT Spanish; more like Chicano ebonics.

I agree, though, that by receiving funding for bilingual education, but not providing it, South San is doing its community a great disservice and steps need to be taken to correct it.

Old 08-26-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisLilSecret View Post
While I support bilingual education, I would have to argue that, while some families do speak Spanish at home, I doubt that 44% speak Spanish properly. Having grown up on the Southside, I can attest to that fact. They may THINK it's Spanish, but, in the real world, they would be at a disadvantage. Tex-Mex is NOT Spanish; more like Chicano ebonics.

I agree, though, that by receiving funding for bilingual education, but not providing it, South San is doing its community a great disservice and steps need to be taken to correct it.
Thank you HisLilSecret for your comment and I agree that not all South Side people speak english very well.

That's why I feel it is important for South San I.S.D to offer the bilingual program the state the offer. It helps children learn the correct pronunciation and not grow up pronuncing incorrect words.

Old 08-26-2009, 03:07 PM

452 posts, read 905,414 times
Quote:
Thank you HisLilSecret for your comment and I agree that not all South Side people speak english very well.

That's why I feel it is important for South San I.S.D to offer the bilingual program the state the offer. It helps children learn the correct pronunciation and not grow up pronuncing incorrect words.
I'm going to presume that you meant Spanish here. Although, your version is also true, unfortunately.

Old 08-26-2009, 03:19 PM

50 posts, read 133,945 times
What about the hundreds of other languages that are not taught in public schools. We can't have teachers teaching in English, Spanish, Chines, Arabic...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio