U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 12:08 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,955,896 times

Advertisements

It's no secret that Chris Marrou (KENS) and Greg Simmons (KSAT) make well over six figure incomes. I'd estimate Marrou 400,000 to half a million. I'd say Simmons is in the 350,000 range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 04:12 PM

278 posts, read 447,189 times
doubtful. i have a good friend who is an sports anchor in a mid sized market, and he doesnt even make 100k. theres a million guys willing to do his job for less. those 2 are both under 200k for sure.

Old 09-10-2009, 04:24 PM

46 posts, read 158,240 times
I worked in TV news for several years; tell your nephew to go to tvjobs.com to get info about markets and salaries...but I'll tell you this, only those at the top make any real money...most live in poverty.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:18 PM

2,263 posts, read 3,588,300 times
I thought that clip was from KABB.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:06 PM

5 posts, read 9,420 times
I am/was in the TV news business. The pay is not pretty. And it's getting worse. I started work out of college in the mid 20's. Could barely make ends meet.
And then I got a nice boost to a new market, about double that...but then I was laid off. Probably because I was making "too much"? LOL.
And then there are bigger cities...where they know people will want to go. Those people don't make much any more, because the competition is tough and you can always find someone just as good to work for less money. I know many people who want to go to places like san diego...and i've heard they make in the mid-thirties. I don't know anyone who could live in san diego for that much.
Sure, you have the top market news anchors still making nice money. I know the top anchors in Detroit make six-figures, more or less... but when they leave...(which is once in a blue moon) a lot of places just don't fill the spot to save that money. And if they do fill the anchor spot, you can bet it will be for much less money.
And because Ad revenue is down, a lot of stations are asking people to take pay cuts and furlough days as well. A friend of mine got an offer from one station for pay in the mid-twenties, but he'd have to take a day or two of unpaid furlough every month.
My advice to your nephew, is if you are REALLY passionate about it, good luck and give it a go. As long as you don't mind watching your engineer and doctor friends really make some top money while you tough it out in very small towns, making very little money.
Not to say money is everything, it's a very interesting business.
But the hours are long and there is a lot of sacrifice. And for what I've heard about what's happening to the biz...you certainly can't start a life with that kind of cash.
But who knows...maybe he'll get lucky and end up on ESPN. ;-)
Oh, and the boom goes the dynamite kid? Ended up in El Paso, TX, I believe. That's a stable mid-to-small market. There is hope after MAJOR Snafu's LOL.
Good luck!

Old 11-08-2009, 08:09 PM

4,209 posts, read 6,772,429 times
Don Harris started there working for free when he was young.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:20 PM

10,290 posts, read 9,946,904 times
I'm guessing your nephew is out of college already.
But if he's not... when I lived in Missouri I noticed that the NBC station from Columbia would always have at least 1 student working in their news being an anchor, but doing something small and simple (I always thought it was great that they did that)
They'd usually have the student for 2-4 weeks and then another student would take his/her spot.

I just found out that the station is owned by the university
KOMU.com - About Us - Coverage You Can Count On (http://www.komu.com/satellite/SatelliteRender/KOMU.com/ba907e95-c0a8-2f11-01bb-b559cc7dab3a - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio