Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 03:38 PM

23 posts, read 69,131 times

Advertisements

I live in San Antonio and need to rent/borrow a metal detector for a day. What would be your advice as to how to go about this?

Thanks, Mark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 05:45 PM

3,111 posts, read 9,207,973 times
go buy one at a pawn shop for cheap.

Old 09-10-2009, 06:37 AM

173 posts, read 598,100 times
As a metal detector enthusiast, what are you trying to accomplish? If you are looking for pipes in your yard, contact 311 to arrange to have it done professionally for free. If you are looking for relics, coins etc. you will need to 'learn' your machine and its behavior if you want to be successful. Otherwise you end up digging lots and lots of bottle caps, pull tabs and junk. If you choose to actually buy one, buy quality such as Whites, Fisher, Garrett, or Minelab ($$$$). Todays machines offer a lot of bang for the buck and let you have a lot more fun digging things you might actually want to keep rather than the junk of the old days. Have fun.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCovertCarry View Post
As a metal detector enthusiast, what are you trying to accomplish? If you are looking for pipes in your yard, contact 311 to arrange to have it done professionally for free. If you are looking for relics, coins etc. you will need to 'learn' your machine and its behavior if you want to be successful. Otherwise you end up digging lots and lots of bottle caps, pull tabs and junk. If you choose to actually buy one, buy quality such as Whites, Fisher, Garrett, or Minelab ($$$$). Todays machines offer a lot of bang for the buck and let you have a lot more fun digging things you might actually want to keep rather than the junk of the old days. Have fun.
I bought myself a Garrett Ace 250. It's a nice little detector for beginners (like me). I ended up selling it to a friend last year. But just last weekend I borrowed it back to do some treasure hunting in the lake bottom.

Old 09-10-2009, 01:43 PM

33 posts, read 86,325 times
Sunbelt Equipment rentals rent them. Check their website.

Old 09-10-2009, 01:48 PM

199 posts, read 707,731 times
There are tool rental places at Home Depot and at Lowe's, look them up and find out if they rent metal detectors. I have rented a few different tools from these places, seems like a logical source. Good luck!

Old 09-10-2009, 02:10 PM

1,893 posts, read 5,587,870 times
I have the same kind as Txtrkgrl. We all got the bug and bought them about the same time I think. It's funny I just looked at mine sitting on the shelf this morning and wondered if I ought to sell it. I've only used it a few times. As Texascovertcarry says you need to use it and learn how to use it for it to be very effective. I just haven't spent enough time with it.

Old 09-10-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
I have the same kind as Txtrkgrl. We all got the bug and bought them about the same time I think. It's funny I just looked at mine sitting on the shelf this morning and wondered if I ought to sell it. I've only used it a few times. As Texascovertcarry says you need to use it and learn how to use it for it to be very effective. I just haven't spent enough time with it.
Yes, I remember when we all talked about them on here and then bought them.
I ended up selling mine to a friend for $200. So I pretty much got my money back. I think it would be a really fun hobby, I just never could find the time.

Old 09-10-2009, 02:34 PM

633 posts, read 1,950,170 times
just buy one at amazon.com
American Hawks Metal Detector with LCD Display 99.99 free shipping

Old 09-10-2009, 09:16 PM

554 posts, read 2,307,051 times
We rented one at Blanco Rentals to look for my husband's wedding ring that had fallen off while he was doing yard work. I think it was $25.

And yes...he got his ring resized the next day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio