U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 10:27 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,814 posts, read 33,121,638 times

Advertisements

I used https://www.facebook.com/StoneCrossConcrete and got a good price. My job involved a smaller slab adjacent to a larger slab and texture/color across both slabs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 04:43 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,413,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
Interestingly, the one who I had to call 3 days in a row told me that widening a driveway was too small a job and that he would have to charge me triple for them to make any money off of the job.... at least he was honest when he told me I would be screwed if I hired his company.... or something...
HCHRM: Please update if you do find someone...we have a similar project...curved swing driveway was built way too narrow...we are trying to widen it somehow, without it looking like it was puzzled together. But, yes, it apparently is a "small job".

Old 04-06-2015, 08:23 AM

2,790 posts, read 5,168,693 times
Thanks, Bo. I sent them an email; and we'll see how it pans out. Have had several contractors turn us down due to the small job size.

Update: They emailed back and said they are only doing decorative concrete work at this time.

Got another quote this morning for $2,000.00. Still a bit high as the area is only 100 st. ft.

Last edited by HillCountryHotRodMan; 04-06-2015 at 09:35 AM..

Old 04-20-2017, 07:34 AM

1 posts, read 282 times
Unfortunately, this seems to be a trend in our line of work. It seems contractors are no longer interested in taking on small repairs. There are a couple of reasons that contractors feel this way and I am going to explain below.( I am a concrete contractor located in Indiana so I will be giving reasons that are prevalent to where I work.)

1. Concrete suppliers have mandatory minimums on loads they send out. Indiana is 4yard minimum anything under that will get you a light load charge between $75-$100

2. When you add up labor, material, light load charges, dump fees if applicable and stone. It becomes hard to give your prospective client a good price for a small repair. Contractors many times feel it is easier to pass on the job than to give somebody a high price for a minimal amount of work and tarnish their name in the community.

My company, however, will be right up front with our client and give them options to get the work done without the high price. These are all options we offer the client.

1. They pay for materials themselves ( light load charge included)
2. Do not use a concrete supplier and instead mix bags of concrete onsite( the labor end of the job will go up but in the end, it is almost a wash)
3. Work as labor only which is very similar to option 1, however it shows that you do care about their project and are looking for a way to assist them. Sometimes helping goes a very long way and the client will always remember and recommend you, providing you do a good job.

Hope this helped
John
JBH Construction
Indianapolis, IN
[email]information@jbh-construction.net[/email]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio