U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 05:38 PM

2,144 posts, read 2,585,866 times

Advertisements

I spoke to one contractor today and he told me that his minimum charge is $1,200 no matter the size of the job

All I need is the replacement of the path leading from my driveway to my front door. It's maybe 6' x 3', and curved. The path has sunk to where it's at least 2 inches below the driveway level, and very easy to trip over, there's also one step that is badly cracked. I think the drought/lack of water has caused this, but even if we start getting more rain, I don't see the path rising back up.

I sent e-mails to three other companies to get quotes and explained what I need. Not one got back to me

Any suggestions. I live in Cibolo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 05:46 PM

323 posts, read 538,015 times
I would find somebody in an actively building neighborhood.

A friend of ours extended his driveway about a foot out for around 300 bucks. He just asked one of the guys that was pouring driveways in our neighborhood. It's worth a shot.

Old 08-28-2009, 06:55 PM

5,569 posts, read 9,609,847 times
A walkway is one of the easier/fun projects to do. I extended my driveway using Pavestone material, which can be bought at Home Depot, Walmart, Lowes. Came out to be about $300 (of course, my dad and I did the labor ourselves). Took us about 2 days.

Good photos and ideas here: Pavestone Company - Patios / Pathways (http://www.pavestone.com/content/view/197/777/ - broken link)

I know you're looking for someone to do it rather than you doing it yourself, but just wanted to mention that. Have you tried Craigslist for services?

Old 08-28-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
A walkway is one of the easier/fun projects to do. I extended my driveway using Pavestone material, which can be bought at Home Depot, Walmart, Lowes. Came out to be about $300 (of course, my dad and I did the labor ourselves). Took us about 2 days.

Good photos and ideas here: Pavestone Company - Patios / Pathways (http://www.pavestone.com/content/view/197/777/ - broken link)

I know you're looking for someone to do it rather than you doing it yourself, but just wanted to mention that. Have you tried Craigslist for services?
I looked on Craigslist and there seem to be quite a few out there, but CL makes me a bit nervous. One of my concerns is that they have to be in the country legally, and I don't really want to deal with an unknown either. I want someone licensed, and who will obtain the proper permits.

Old 09-17-2009, 05:33 PM

21 posts, read 29,263 times
I just had a walkway and new driveway put in. They started last week with removal of the driveway and then it began to rain. They finished the job on Tuesday. They did a wonderful job. I absolutely love my walk. They were the least expensive company that was also professional (There are many shady people out there in this business). I have been bragging about them at work and would recommend this company to anyone who needed work completed. The company is MJR Construction @ 210-621-9559 ask for Joh Fautley.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:17 PM
Lil

32 posts, read 45,898 times
Also try M & M Concrete - Fred Munoz Jr. email him at martinezmunozd@yahoo.com He has worked concrete from big custom builders all the way down to residential. He prefers residential work; he is good at what he does and he is "legal" . Tell him a neighbor from "the Hills" recommended him.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:40 PM

1,720 posts, read 2,871,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil View Post
Also try M & M Concrete - Fred Munoz Jr. email him at martinezmunozd@yahoo.com He has worked concrete from big custom builders all the way down to residential. He prefers residential work; he is good at what he does and he is "legal" . Tell him a neighbor from "the Hills" recommended him.
If people do it the legal way, you pay taxes

if people do it UTT, you dont pay taxes, and no guarantee and probably a cheap price.

Its a tough call.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svg210 View Post

Its a tough call.

Not for me! I will not hire someone if I know they are in the country illegally.

I haven't done much more research on this 'cause I was too busy trying to find a replacement for my flaky lawn service. I'm hoping that my new lawn guy may know someone who does concrete work, since his full time "day job" is for a landscaping company.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:41 PM

188 posts, read 390,500 times
I can recommend Bill Weichert with Concrete Decorating, Inc. He just finished up a patio for us and was very professional, affordable, and it looks great. I got his name from another City-Data-er so that's kind of like a 2-for-1 referral! LOL 210-525-1000 or billweichert@satx.rr.com.

Good luck!

Old 12-02-2009, 12:30 PM

9 posts, read 18,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momzillajen View Post
I can recommend Bill Weichert with Concrete Decorating, Inc. He just finished up a patio for us and was very professional, affordable, and it looks great. I got his name from another City-Data-er so that's kind of like a 2-for-1 referral! LOL 210-525-1000 or billweichert@satx.rr.com.

Good luck!
Just called these guys. Wanted $3,500 for a 10x10 concrete slab.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio