U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-31-2009, 07:46 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, Texas
206 posts, read 390,826 times
Reputation: 46

Advertisements

We are moving in about six months and I am not sure the best way to sell some higher dollar items. We have never sold anything on ebay, and I guess I am kind of nervous about getting scammed.

We have things to sell like, antique silver set, antique china, antique doll collection, and a good bit of furniture. Yes, I know about garage sales for the everyday stuff, but can anyone point me in a good direction. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-31-2009, 07:55 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
8,400 posts, read 20,119,473 times
Reputation: 4435
Craiglist. I just sold two sets of tires on there, and with a few precautions it can be a rewarding and easy process.

There is a thread on here about it, so do a search; but in a nutshell I would advise against listing an email address or phone number. Craigslist allows you to use an anonymous email address and I'd recommend using that capability. It will redirect any queries to your email address, I use a web-based one (Yahoo or Hotmail) and make sure your emails don't contain your name (it is adjustable via your profile, mine simply says 'M2').

Creating an ad is simple, and I recommend pictures and a good description of the item as they help sell it. Stay away from checks or other forms of payments, I stipulate cash transactions only.

When people contact you, "feel" them out as you will get spammers. I won't sell to anyone outside of the area, and refuse to ship. Ask what area of town they live in and find a public place to meet up during daylight hours. Most strip malls work well, don't go anywhere where there aren't a lot of people. I would offer up a cell phone number if they appear to be legitimate and you will be able to tell by their response. Be sure to have a vehicle that can haul the item you are selling, if possible.

Much of those rules may seem paranoid-based, but it is the safest way to approach this and it has always worked for me as both a seller and a buyer.

Hope that helps!

Cheers! M2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2009, 08:20 PM
 
Location: Seaford, Delaware
3,471 posts, read 17,228,589 times
Reputation: 2624
There is a store that uses Ebay for you. It's at 281 and Bitters. The name is something about Ebay. They do all the work. they also take a commission. If you have high dollar stuff and want a wider scope to sell it, that may be the venue for you to use. The web site has all the details including costs. I just can't think of the name of it at the moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2009, 08:23 PM
 
Location: San Quilmas, Tx
4,081 posts, read 6,089,580 times
Reputation: 9121
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
There is a store that uses Ebay for you. It's at 281 and Bitters. The name is something about Ebay. They do all the work. they also take a commission. If you have high dollar stuff and want a wider scope to sell it, that may be the venue for you to use. The web site has all the details including costs. I just can't think of the name of it at the moment.
I Sold It On Ebay....

Google Maps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2009, 08:24 PM
 
Location: Seaford, Delaware
3,471 posts, read 17,228,589 times
Reputation: 2624
I found it. it's called" i sold it on Ebay" I never posted a web site but the address is:
Find a Store | iSold It on eBay

I hope this helps you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2009, 07:45 AM
 
Location: Golden, CO
266 posts, read 635,309 times
Reputation: 237
craigs list is the best.. for big items, i wouldnt bother with ebay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2009, 09:11 AM
 
Location: Charleston, SC
5,615 posts, read 12,802,153 times
Reputation: 2534
Quote:
Originally Posted by 222muchcoffee View Post
We are moving in about six months and I am not sure the best way to sell some higher dollar items. We have never sold anything on ebay, and I guess I am kind of nervous about getting scammed.

We have things to sell like, antique silver set, antique china, antique doll collection, and a good bit of furniture. Yes, I know about garage sales for the everyday stuff, but can anyone point me in a good direction. Thanks!
What style of furniture? Anything modern or loft style?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2009, 09:33 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Ohio
16,816 posts, read 33,147,671 times
Reputation: 13590
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
I found it. it's called" i sold it on Ebay" I never posted a web site but the address is:
Find a Store | iSold It on eBay

I hope this helps you.
That store is closed. The store's website isoldittexas.com now redirects to a site that locates items selling under $1 on eBay. There was a competitor on Blanco that also closed.

Your link shows no isoldit stores within 100 miles of SA.

I did find this similar business, near the airport with a web search. http://www.ebayservicesoftexas.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2009, 01:28 PM
 
Location: NorCal
227 posts, read 148,814 times
Reputation: 313
Are there any consignment stores or neighborhood flea markets or antique shows in the area? If so, that may be a way to go. You should be ok selling the smaller things on eBay. Just make sure you pack them well, ship insured with signature required, and ship them only after you have been paid. You say you've never sold on eBay, but I don't know if you have an eBay account or any feedback. If you don't, it may be difficult to get many buyers interested in higher end items if you don't have any feedback.

Good luck!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2009, 08:02 PM
 
4,796 posts, read 13,718,331 times
Reputation: 2709
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaPlaya View Post
Are there any consignment stores or neighborhood flea markets or antique shows in the area? If so, that may be a way to go. You should be ok selling the smaller things on eBay. Just make sure you pack them well, ship insured with signature required, and ship them only after you have been paid. You say you've never sold on eBay, but I don't know if you have an eBay account or any feedback. If you don't, it may be difficult to get many buyers interested in higher end items if you don't have any feedback.

Good luck!!!
Unfortunately that's correct. Very few experienced buyers will buy from someone that doesn't have any feedback. It's a weird system....sort of keeps people honest, but I think it keeps some good buys from getting on Ebay! And having Paypal is a must!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:22 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top