U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 08:42 AM

1,255 posts, read 1,753,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonySA View Post
I don't know how we can complain about budget cuts when we want constantly want lower taxes? You get what you pay for.
Noticing that the budget is increasing by more than $1,170,000,000,

County Budget To Increase To $1.17 Billion - San Antonio News Story - KSAT San Antonio (http://www.ksat.com/news/17235894/detail.html - broken link)

I think that law enforcement has no need for cuts and that expansion of other programs can "make do" with last year's amounts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 01:19 PM

124 posts, read 227,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCovertCarry View Post
Having looked at the budget a lot since I am directly affected, I see a lot where money is being wasted.

Haven for Hope and other faith based organizations to the tune of millions. BS. Have the religious groups fund this, not the taxpayers.

Endless sports related complexes to the tune of millions. County giving money to the ATT Center and the Freeman? Why? Those venues make enough to be funding themselves I would hope.

Riverwalk?

Heck, they are even giving $10,000 to the City of Windcrest for Walzem Rd.

There seems to be plenty of money for everything else, just not employees and Ill be damned if Im going to give up 2% of my measly pay without a fight and a lot of noise.
Since you feel so aggrieved with your current position at the County then why not resign. This is what we do in the private sector. Nobody is forcing you to accept your 'measly' pay. I am sure we will get 100 applicants to fill your position.

Moderator cut: two sentences... see comment

Last edited by Bo; 09-06-2009 at 01:30 PM.. Reason: off-topic/personal

Old 09-06-2009, 01:48 PM

173 posts, read 539,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slonga View Post
Since you feel so aggrieved with your current position at the County then why not resign. This is what we do in the private sector. Nobody is forcing you to accept your 'measly' pay. I am sure we will get 100 applicants to fill your position.

Moderator cut: two sentences... see comment
Youre right...why should I be upset at a 2% pay cut when its obvious that all these other funding decisions do not require the least bit of scrutiny?

All the County employees should just quit rather than point out the huge disparity in whats being proposed in the budget and the cuts they would like to make?

Im sorry you seem to have a problem with government employees earning a fair wage and keeping it in the face of ridiculous proposed cuts.

Old 09-06-2009, 02:46 PM

1,668 posts, read 3,351,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCovertCarry View Post
Youre right...why should I be upset at a 2% pay cut when its obvious that all these other funding decisions do not require the least bit of scrutiny?

All the County employees should just quit rather than point out the huge disparity in whats being proposed in the budget and the cuts they would like to make?

Im sorry you seem to have a problem with government employees earning a fair wage and keeping it in the face of ridiculous proposed cuts.

It's easy for others to say leave the job but you know as well as I do if the shoe was on the other foot they would be saying the same thing.

I don't know of anyone that would be happy with a pay cut of 2 or 5%.

Old 09-06-2009, 02:55 PM

1,668 posts, read 3,351,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dimwit View Post
I ask this question: Assuming we relent and "accept" the fact that government bureaucracy breeds a certain degree of waste, would we be willing to accept a tax increase to keep the deputies employed?

--Dim
As a matter of fact I would. County taxes are extremely low for the return you get.

Do you ever complain about School District taxes? That's waste!

Old 09-06-2009, 04:25 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,606,962 times
wellguy,

Like I said, there's waste in any government program. Don't ask me why, but it seems like politicians at a certain level just lose a lot of common sense (or simply don't care).

Of course, if YOU were accountable to everyone in the county (~2 million voices all wanting their causes to be top priorities), what would you do? (I'm not trying to be aggressive...) I don't know that I could be that person who had to make tough choices knowing full well that any solution I have will anger some segment of the population.

--Dim

Old 09-06-2009, 04:45 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,813 posts, read 33,118,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellguy View Post
Do you ever complain about School District taxes? That's waste!
Tell it to the average family who sends several kids to public school every day.

One person's indispensable government service is another person's pork barrel boondoggle.

Old 09-06-2009, 07:18 PM

3,542 posts, read 7,523,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilGar View Post
Noticing that the budget is increasing by more than $1,170,000,000,

County Budget To Increase To $1.17 Billion - San Antonio News Story - KSAT San Antonio (http://www.ksat.com/news/17235894/detail.html - broken link)

I think that law enforcement has no need for cuts and that expansion of other programs can "make do" with last year's amounts.
The article says nothing on what the money is going to be spent on. I do know that a lot of the money is money passed by bond elections that we voted for (we voted, right?). I'm not saying there is/isn't waste, but I'm also not making baseless conclusions.

Old 09-08-2009, 03:10 PM

16 posts, read 29,293 times
The citizens of Bexar County need to light a fire under the county commissioners (Not literally of course). Not just because of the recent proposed budget cuts, but for all the wasteful spending that has been done over the years.
We need to set term limits for these commissioners, much like the city council has. The city council can only stay in office for a set amount of time and they get paid only $20 a month. This was set in place to rid city council of perceived corruption and career politicians. I truly believe if this happened in the county, there would be less corruption due to these positions being filled by real public servants, instead of money grubbing politicians.

Old 09-08-2009, 03:13 PM

13,807 posts, read 26,288,232 times
and get rid of the biggest career politician (I have other words for him, but I'll leave it at that) of them all.. I think I'm one of the only ones that votes against nelson or doesn't vote for him when he runs unopposed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio