U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 08:03 AM

173 posts, read 538,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
Nope, not biased. It was in direct collusion with what the deputy (one of your own) had said prior.

He was overweight, hence the "Porky" remark.

No, I don't have any aversion to police..I just see them for what they are. Some good, some not so good. I don't place them on a pedestal or kiss their asses, like some others.
Im glad to hear that because it needs to be the norm and not the exception. I was making an observation independent of your current remark that you seem to have a problem with officers as you seem to have nothing good to say about them. Thats ok of course, but lets not presume it to be something else. Ive seen enough of that over the years to know that people that constantly bash the cops have either been arrested a bunch of times or had a bad experience at one time or another. Like you said, not all cops are good but then neither are they all bad. Maybe taking the issue on a case by case basis would be better? Again, this is merely my observation and how it seems to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 08:52 AM

4,263 posts, read 9,682,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCovertCarry View Post
Im glad to hear that because it needs to be the norm and not the exception. I was making an observation independent of your current remark that you seem to have a problem with officers as you seem to have nothing good to say about them. Thats ok of course, but lets not presume it to be something else. Ive seen enough of that over the years to know that people that constantly bash the cops have either been arrested a bunch of times or had a bad experience at one time or another. Like you said, not all cops are good but then neither are they all bad. Maybe taking the issue on a case by case basis would be better? Again, this is merely my observation and how it seems to me.
...and to think, a few of my friends happen to be officers (out of state). One is an acting chief. The other, Lieutenant. The third just graduated from his academy a few months ago...at 36 years old! He underwent a total career change after deciding that this is what he wanted to do. He's complaining now that the money sux..and how he took a big pay cut to become an officer.
He told me recently that the city almost laid off his entire graduating class (so, it's not just you guys..this is in the Northeast) but eventually found the money to pay these guys, with one caveat. No pay raises for at least 2 years.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:43 AM

Quote:
...and to think, a few of my friends happen to be officers (out of state). One is an acting chief. The other, Lieutenant. The third just graduated from his academy a few months ago...at 36 years old! He underwent a total career change after deciding that this is what he wanted to do. He's complaining now that the money sux..and how he took a big pay cut to become an officer.
He told me recently that the city almost laid off his entire graduating class (so, it's not just you guys..this is in the Northeast) but eventually found the money to pay these guys, with one caveat. No pay raises for at least 2 years.
That sounds about right. The County laid off an entire class years ago. Myself and dozens of other officers went to Commissioners Court and fought to get those officers re-instated. It worked and the pink slips were rescinded the next day. As for the budget issues, this is the County's way of fighting us on the Collective Bargaining Agreement. If they bargain with us and have to give us even the COLA raise, they will have a lot less money for pet projects and tons of other wasteful spending thats in the budget. I really cant see how we need tens of millions for amateur sports fields, a fencing academy (so not kidding) and as an example, $75 million to the ATT Center. All of that is apparently more important than peoples jobs and their families well being not to mention the safety and security of the staff and inmates at the jail. I hope that this budget issue has pushed the topic of term limits for Commissioners to the forefront next time around. These guys apparently dont know what fiscal responsibility is anymore.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:51 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,807 posts, read 33,073,871 times
Quote:
I really cant see how we need tens of millions for amateur sports fields, a fencing academy (so not kidding) and as an example, $75 million to the ATT Center. All of that is apparently more important than peoples jobs and their families well being not to mention the safety and security of the staff and inmates at the jail. I hope that this budget issue has pushed the topic of term limits for Commissioners to the forefront next time around. These guys apparently dont know what fiscal responsibility is anymore.
There is money for those projects because voters specifically approved funding for those projects. (Remember the "Act for San Antonio" campaign last year?) The commissioners court is prevented by law from moving money collected for a specific purpose into funding law enforcement.

I like fiscal responsibility, too, and I'm probably notorious for griping about the city's spending on the Alamodome. But in this case, the commissioner's court is doing the will of the people, since voters decided at the polls that sports venues were a priority.

Old 09-11-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
There is money for those projects because voters specifically approved funding for those projects. (Remember the "Act for San Antonio" campaign last year?) The commissioners court is prevented by law from moving money collected for a specific purpose into funding law enforcement.
This is true, but I find it hard to believe that the County cannot suspend action on these provisions until they have the money to pay for services. In otherwords, the money all comes out of the same pot ultimately. This also brings us back to the tens of millions for the Cagnon Road Jail that was put to the voters for their approval several years ago. The money was allocated, but never spent on the Cagnon Rd. facility. The money went somewhere.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:16 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Maneuvering by commissioners saves county jobs (http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/59279147.html - broken link)

Old 09-15-2009, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Maneuvering by commissioners saves county jobs (http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/59279147.html - broken link)
This is very good, but why are we still cutting 20 civilian positions? NOBODY should be losing their jobs when the county cant even tell us how much money is actually there...they keep finding piles of cash laying around.

Some things are still an issue as I see it:

Why did the County continue down the path of funding all these various things when they knew that there would be a budget shortfall back in 08? You dont keep spending money when you know you cant pay the bills.

If they can find money at zero hour, then why cant they find the money long before they put the panic and worry on their employees? Sounds like its a political game.

Why wasnt early retirement an option long before now? Once again, Bexar County/San Antonio shows itself to be the biggest one horse town known to man. They came to the solution involving early retirement as if it was a complete epiphany when other, progressive organizations have been doing it for years because it SAVES MONEY in the long run.

Its just frustrating....

Old 09-15-2009, 09:31 AM

Quote:
This is very good, but why are we still cutting 20 civilian positions? NOBODY should be losing their jobs when the county cant even tell us how much money is actually there...they keep finding piles of cash laying around.

Some things are still an issue as I see it:

Why did the County continue down the path of funding all these various things when they knew that there would be a budget shortfall back in 08? You dont keep spending money when you know you cant pay the bills.

If they can find money at zero hour, then why cant they find the money long before they put the panic and worry on their employees? Sounds like its a political game.

Why wasnt early retirement an option long before now? Once again, Bexar County/San Antonio shows itself to be the biggest one horse town known to man. They came to the solution involving early retirement as if it was a complete epiphany when other, progressive organizations have been doing it for years because it SAVES MONEY in the long run.

Its just frustrating....
Your "game" metaphor is a good one. Judge Wolff is said to be an avid poker player, according to media reports. My guess is that the commissioners knew that those cards were in their hand all along. It just wasn't the right time to play them.

Old 09-15-2009, 03:06 PM

4,263 posts, read 9,682,215 times
Quote:
..and this wasn't the appropriate way to post the link as per TOS.

""Copyrighted Material - Instead of copying-and-pasting articles, photos, or other material you find on the Internet, you should be posting links to those articles. Posting a snippet from the article and then the link is the appropriate way to post.""

Glad to see that most of the jobs were saved. Can't win 'em all though. How do you feel about the 2 year freeze on those positions?

Old 09-15-2009, 08:57 PM

Quote:
..and this wasn't the appropriate way to post the link as per TOS.

""Copyrighted Material - Instead of copying-and-pasting articles, photos, or other material you find on the Internet, you should be posting links to those articles. Posting a snippet from the article and then the link is the appropriate way to post.""

Glad to see that most of the jobs were saved. Can't win 'em all though. How do you feel about the 2 year freeze on those positions?
Well, as long as it doesn't impact safety or security I'm all for it. I know that they have had frozen positions for a long time in other areas and its also used as another bargaining chip when it comes to budget time again...something to be bartered at the table. Interestingly enough, even though the budget was finalized today, work has already begun on next years budget.

While most jobs were kept, last minute wrangling saw the removal of several positions at the Sheriff's Office that were completely unexpected:

Classification manager
Work Release Coordinator
Inmate Grievance Coordinator

Of all of these, the Classification manager position is probably the most important. Its through the classification process of the inmates that identifies the most troublesome inmates and houses them accordingly through their charges, past offenses, current charges, propensity for violence etc. As a matter of fact, I dont think its much of a stretch to say that our classification system is probably second to none. For the inmate population that we have, we have relatively few problems and the classification system is a large part of the reason why. I would love to know the inside story as to how they landed on that position to cut.

The county also voted to shelve the idea of furloughs and pay cuts. That was the stuff I was most worried about with regard to my own position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio