Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 06:25 AM

179 posts, read 468,726 times

Advertisements

Also, to be fair, I think we are being warned about possible crimes then we are experiencing them. These times are tough and alot has changed in the past 20-30 years. Leaving your house unlocked to run to the ice house 20-30 years ago was not a unheard of thing. My dad would leave the garage opened. Nowadays it seems, I have to secure Fort Knox if I am going around the corner to check my mail. Alot of people are just not taking precautions and are not using common sense which leaves them open to would be criminals. My dad used to say, locks don't keep out thieves, they just keep the honest, honest. I don't know if San Antonio is worse than Detroit, Miami, or any town in the USA. I do know that it is worse than it was when I was a kid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 06:29 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,987,315 times
Really, the Internet is a wonderful thing!

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

San Antonio is about on par with the rest of the nation, and if you are interested in a particular area you can do research on it here:

Crime Data

Cheers! M2

Last edited by Yac; 09-29-2009 at 07:05 AM..

Old 09-03-2009, 08:54 AM

1,086 posts, read 3,360,379 times
I am sure it is up, but the city is growing leaps and bounds.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:10 PM
m22

139 posts, read 586,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m22 View Post
We moved here from the Detroit suburbs and have experienced more petty crime here in Stone Oak
So lemonfresh, I said "Detroit suburbs" - your data was on the city of Detroit, and I said "petty crime," not murders. Not exactly apples to apples, but I agree that the city of Detroit is higher in violent crime, hands down.
But in my experience, the City of San Antonio has a more noticeable threat of petty/property crime than suburban Detroit, where I lived: where we parked on the driveway or street overnight, never had an alarm, slept with windows open and had zero property theft in 33 years.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:14 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,823,786 times
Quote:
So lemonfresh, I said "Detroit suburbs" - your data was on the city of Detroit, and I said "petty crime," not murders. Not exactly apples to apples, but I agree that the city of Detroit is higher in violent crime, hands down.
But in my experience, the City of San Antonio has a more noticeable threat of petty/property crime than suburban Detroit, where I lived: where we parked on the driveway or street overnight, never had an alarm, slept with windows open and had zero property theft in 33 years.
To compare apples to apples, you should be comparing suburbs of Detroit with suburbs of SA then.
"Suburbs" vs. "City" data is going to be skewed and pretty much a no-brainer (no matter how much the urban folks don't want to hear it. )

Old 09-03-2009, 08:29 PM
m22

139 posts, read 586,245 times
What would be considered suburban San Antonio? (curious). There are large areas outside of 1604 even, still considered the City of San Antonio.

I think it is impossible to compare any two metropolitan areas apples to apples...just wanted to say that in my personal experience, I have had to guard my belongings much more carefully since arriving in San Antonio. And like I said, that could just be a sign of the times.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:37 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,823,786 times
Quote:
What would be considered suburban San Antonio? (curious). There are large areas outside of 1604 even, still considered the City of San Antonio.

I think it is impossible to compare any two metropolitan areas apples to apples...just wanted to say that in my personal experience, I have had to guard my belongings much more carefully since arriving in San Antonio. And like I said, that could just be a sign of the times.
Schertz, Cibolo, Converse, Pleasanton, Universal City, Helotes, Fair Oaks Ranch..maybe even Boerne.. etc...also the crime stats that you see usually don't include these areas outside 1604 that use a San Antonio mailing address, but aren't within city limits.(so no, they are not considered City if San Antonio for these purposes). If that data could be gathered, I would think to count it in with the suburban data.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:43 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,291,423 times
I dont think Pleasanton is considered a suburb of SA.

And dont tell that to Schertz cause they think they are their own city too. They have flags on practically every lightpost to prove it.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:01 PM

3,542 posts, read 8,244,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
Schertz, Cibolo, Converse, Pleasanton, Universal City, Helotes, Fair Oaks Ranch..maybe even Boerne.. etc...also the crime stats that you see usually don't include these areas outside 1604 that use a San Antonio mailing address, but aren't within city limits.(so no, they are not considered City if San Antonio for these purposes). If that data could be gathered, I would think to count it in with the suburban data.
And the tricities (Alamo Heights, Olmos Park, Terrell Hills), Hollywood Park, Hill Country Village, Castle Hills, Balcones Heights, New Braunfels, etc, etc.

We got plenty of suburbs to choose from, just not as many as Detroit.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:16 PM

422 posts, read 756,931 times
Pawn Shops are ready for a busy holiday season be extra careful.

1. Don't let people know if your home or not.
2. leave lights on at nite.
3. DON"T LOAD UP FOR THE WEEKEND IN PLAIN SIGHT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio