U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 09-05-2009, 01:13 PM

88 posts, read 171,158 times
Default Perennial Flowers that will survive any winter & summer?

Looking for a flower or plant that has color that will survive through all seasons here. Any suggestions?
Quick reply to this message

Unread 09-05-2009, 01:18 PM

13,489 posts, read 19,864,061 times
Plumbago has light blue-ish flowers and it is drought-tolerant.....and I've seen it blooming in the winter here. It blooms all summer--the butterflies love it! It also comes in white, but I've only got experience with the blue.

Unread 09-05-2009, 01:21 PM

3,108 posts, read 5,633,450 times
Roses, roses, roses

Unread 09-05-2009, 03:37 PM

2,284 posts, read 3,931,783 times
Nandinas typically are green to rust, and turn even more rust in the fall/winter. They are evergreen.

Hollies stay green all year, but can produce berries in the fall & winter.

As for flowers, I have had great luck with my pincushion plants, although they are better suited for borders (only are about 12" tall.

Unread 09-06-2009, 09:13 AM

1,641 posts, read 1,921,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post
Nandinas typically are green to rust, and turn even more rust in the fall/winter. They are evergreen.

Hollies stay green all year, but can produce berries in the fall & winter.

As for flowers, I have had great luck with my pincushion plants, although they are better suited for borders (only are about 12" tall.
I looked up the Pincushion Plants and they are pretty and I know my wife would like them. I can't say if I have ever seen them at any nursery. Can I ask were you have purchased them?. Are they able to make it through our "mild" winters?

Unread 09-06-2009, 09:20 AM
Bo

14,006 posts, read 18,743,855 times
Esperanza, if you're interested in a sturdy flowering bush.

Unread 09-06-2009, 01:02 PM

676 posts, read 716,351 times
Esperanza and plumbago make a colorful summer bouquet, the hotter and drier the better.

One spring I marveled how beautiful and brightly colored her tulips were. She stifled a smile as she told me they were PLASTIC---always a thought.

Unread 09-06-2009, 01:13 PM

2,284 posts, read 3,931,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellguy View Post
I looked up the Pincushion Plants and they are pretty and I know my wife would like them. I can't say if I have ever seen them at any nursery. Can I ask were you have purchased them?. Are they able to make it through our "mild" winters?
I bought mine at Rainbow Gardens on Thousand Oaks. But I have also seen them, on occasion, at Lowe's and Home Depot. I beleive the botanic name is Scabiosa.

Yes, they make it through winter, and are in bloom very early. However, this particular summer has been hard on them, even though they are drought tolerant. They will spread (slowly), so give them a bit of room.

Unread 09-06-2009, 03:23 PM

2,746 posts, read 9,035,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellguy View Post
DON'T quote me on this but I could have sworn I saw Pincushion plants yesterday at Walmart at 1604/281.

Unread 09-06-2009, 03:36 PM

189 posts, read 324,550 times
Unless the winter is super severe some years, if you're looking for basic groundcover and some small shrubs (that smell WONDERFUL!) if you can't find flowers when you're looking, thyme and rosemary are practically perennial down there. Especially in San Antonio.

When I lived down there, I always loved putting thyme between patio stones so when you walk over it it makes a wonderful smell, and putting rosemary shrubs near windows. When it is a little cooler outside, you can open the windows and get that wonderful herbal fragrance.

Everyone's right about scabiosa. I'm trying to remember some of my stalwarts I used down there. I want to say that monarda (bee balm) is also a perennial. It has really cool red shaggy flowers. But you may want to give it a small bed to itself, as it is in the mint family, and will take over a bed.

Mums are usually reliable and will come back every year in the fall. Irises of course, once they get established (it may take a year or 2 to start seeing blooms).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio