U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 07:48 PM

105 posts, read 228,490 times

Advertisements

We need to replace the worn carpet in our 1970's rancher.

I want "real" wood floors--the kind that are sanded and finished in place. I have been in several homes in older neighborhoods (Alamo Heights for one) with these kind of floors. Granted these homes are not built on slabs; but apparently, there are many houses in my own neighborhood (Hollywood Park) w/ "real" wood floors (original to the house) that are built on a slab (built in the 1960's). Am I the only person in San Antonio who prefers this? Why is it so hard to find someone who does this kind of installation?

We had "real" red oak--the traditional (approx 3" wide, 3/4" thick nail down on basement foundation) in our previous home. We had 4 kids and an overweight Welsh Pembroke corgi (40lbs). We were NOT particularly careful, didn't have pads under the rugs, etc. Our floors looked fabulous after 6 years of abuse. Everyone I know who had prefinished installed hated them. When I tell the sales guy this at the local flooring store he looks completely incredulous--like he thinks maybe I'm making this up???? Everybody keeps pushing prefinished engineered. I'm skeptical. This is a huge investment, and I don't know who or what to believe.

Advice or info is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2009, 08:03 PM

13,807 posts, read 26,293,318 times
If you want something that can stand up to abuse, why don't you look at laminate? I just had some installed that looks exactly like scraped wood and I doubt anyone would ever know it wasn't. 5 dogs pretty much means I'm always going to have tile or laminate and that's what my entire downstairs is now. I do have someone you could contact that does a very good job of installation. He just finished up a coworker of mine's house Friday.

edit- but the contact info is at home

Old 09-05-2009, 08:26 PM

105 posts, read 228,490 times
We have considered laminate, but we have to weigh what else is in the neighborhood in similar priced homes. People seem to be going pretty upscale in recent renovations. We don't think we'll be in this house more than 4 or 5 years, so we have to consider what will add value and help the house sell.

I have seen some really pretty laminate recently. Wondering if the newer stuff still has that hollow sound when you walk on it...

Old 09-05-2009, 08:42 PM

13,807 posts, read 26,293,318 times
not when you get the 12mm stuff with the padding built in to the bottom. I can never remember the exact one I got, but it looks like this: Lumber Liquidators: 12mm Imperial Teak Handscraped Laminate

Old 09-05-2009, 08:45 PM

5,142 posts, read 11,446,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autiger92 View Post
We have considered laminate, but we have to weigh what else is in the neighborhood in similar priced homes. People seem to be going pretty upscale in recent renovations. We don't think we'll be in this house more than 4 or 5 years, so we have to consider what will add value and help the house sell.

I have seen some really pretty laminate recently. Wondering if the newer stuff still has that hollow sound when you walk on it...
There's some really good padding on sale at Floor and Decor on Bandera and 410 area that prevents the hollow sound.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:05 PM

1,256 posts, read 1,754,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autiger92 View Post
We need to replace the worn carpet in our 1970's rancher.

I want "real" wood floors--the kind that are sanded and finished in place. I have been in several homes in older neighborhoods (Alamo Heights for one) with these kind of floors. Granted these homes are not built on slabs; but apparently, there are many houses in my own neighborhood (Hollywood Park) w/ "real" wood floors (original to the house) that are built on a slab (built in the 1960's). Am I the only person in San Antonio who prefers this? Why is it so hard to find someone who does this kind of installation?

We had "real" red oak--the traditional (approx 3" wide, 3/4" thick nail down on basement foundation) in our previous home. We had 4 kids and an overweight Welsh Pembroke corgi (40lbs). We were NOT particularly careful, didn't have pads under the rugs, etc. Our floors looked fabulous after 6 years of abuse. Everyone I know who had prefinished installed hated them. When I tell the sales guy this at the local flooring store he looks completely incredulous--like he thinks maybe I'm making this up???? Everybody keeps pushing prefinished engineered. I'm skeptical. This is a huge investment, and I don't know who or what to believe.

Advice or info is appreciated!
Although many Alamo Height are on pier and beam, there are some on slabs. My previous home was a slab with real hardwood floors on top. The only consideration is to have a "level" substructure to nail the flooring to. Try Atlas Floors on Hildebrand.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:34 AM

Location: 281 north of 1604 - otherwise known as traffic hell
450 posts, read 1,455,438 times
Hardwood Flooring, Oak, Hickory, Mesquite, and Brazilian Cherry, Mouldings by Quality Hardwoods, Fredericksburg, Tx (http://www.quality-hardwoods.com/about%20us.htm - broken link)

This is who you want to talk with. They do a lot of business here in San Antonio and they do exactly what you are looking for. I think they run the gamut with pricing as well. Probably 5-20 per foot.

This is a hometown type company where you deal with the owner and his family - not some corporate megacenter where you are just a number.

I just did handscraped engineered hardwood and am very happy, but didn't have an ideal application for the real thing. If I had, Clayton is who I would have called.

Old 09-06-2009, 11:20 PM

187 posts, read 314,232 times
Can't say that I know much about hardwood floors. I know one family that had "real" hardwood floors on a slab foundation. It was a custom home, and the rooms/hallways with hardwood floors were planned in advance and the slab was poured lower in those areas of the home so that the hardwood floors would transition easily to the tile and carpeted sections of the home. I think this link gives a good outline of the process involved in installing "real" hardwood floors on a slab:

How to Install Hardwood Flooring on Slabs | eHow.com

Based on that description, it sounds like the screeds raise the level of the floor a couple of inches before the hardwood is installed.

The engineered floors are usually glued directly to the slab, and work pretty easily with a transition piece to the other flooring in the home. My guess is that you will find a lot more wood/finishing options with the engineered floors. I think most of the polyurethane finishes on these floors are for a minimum of 20 years, and they can usually be refinished at least once.

I am assuming that the combination of wood/installation is a fair amount more with a "real" wood floor. If you are only planning to be in your house for 4-5 years, why invest more than you need to? You may want to ask a realtor if you would get the difference back at resale time.

Old 09-07-2009, 06:52 AM

1,532 posts, read 3,334,748 times
We are planning on installing hard wood floors in our home as well. PP said why would you do this? I think hardwood floors are a selling advantage over other homes that may have carpet. Especially since they are still selling brand new homes in our area. We got such an awesome deal on the home that we bought, adding HWF would not hurt us that much.

We are going through lumber liquidators and have found it to be a pretty good deal. We are going back today to check things out again. Good luck to the poster wanting to to this project!

Old 09-07-2009, 08:23 AM

656 posts, read 1,682,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest1492 View Post
Can't say that I know much about hardwood floors. I know one family that had "real" hardwood floors on a slab foundation. It was a custom home, and the rooms/hallways with hardwood floors were planned in advance and the slab was poured lower in those areas of the home so that the hardwood floors would transition easily to the tile and carpeted sections of the home. I think this link gives a good outline of the process involved in installing "real" hardwood floors on a slab:

That is how my hardwood on slab is also, installed in the 50s. If you want level floors throughout your house, the slab needs to be planned for it. The hardwood portions of my slab are about 1 1/2 to 2 inches below rooms that were not wood.

In my house they put a layer of hot tar on top of the slab, and then laid furring strips into the tar while it was still hot. The hardwood floor is nailed to the furring strips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or