Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 12:06 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,291,423 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had a kids birthday party at University Bowl? (IH10) Just wondering what others experience has been.

My son is begging me for a bowling party for his bday next month. We live on the SW side and most of his schoolmates live on the SW or W side, so I am trying to find some place that is still nice but not too far.

I looked into Bandera Bowl but that place is MAS smokey, has a small bar, and doesn't have the Funplex anymore.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 12:19 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,696,195 times
years and years and years ago (when i was a kid!) Much hasn't changed from the time I was little. There are places to smoke but it's not nearly as smoky as other bowling places. There is a little arcade that your son and friends may love too. It's not that far of a drive (a drive though...) I give it like a 25 minute drive tops on a Saturday. The worst is going to be the downtown traffic and 410/10 traffic.

I wish I could give you more advice, but my fave birthday party place when i was a kid is long gone (Jungle Jim's...how I love thee...) Did he nix a pizza party like Chuckie Cheeze or anything like that? Those are always fun!

Old 09-06-2009, 12:25 PM

64 posts, read 178,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perticusrex View Post
Has anyone had a kids birthday party at University Bowl? (IH10) Just wondering what others experience has been.
We have attended a few birthday parties at University Bowl, and it was always a good experience for the kids and the parents.

Old 09-06-2009, 12:33 PM

Thanks for the info! I am not sure why, but he just has his heart set on bowling.

Ashley - oh snap! I used to LOVE Jungle Jims (off 281) the three times total in my lifetime I ever went. Now its a Goodwill I think. Before that Body Solutions.

Old 09-06-2009, 12:55 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,696,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perticusrex View Post

Ashley - oh snap! I used to LOVE Jungle Jims (off 281) the three times total in my lifetime I ever went. Now its a Goodwill I think. Before that Body Solutions.
That was the place as a kid. It had to have closed some time in the mid-late nineties. The last time I went I think I was in 6th grade (1996?) when I was baby sitting twins that are now freshmen in college. I can't even count how many times I went there or how many birthday parties I attended. Bumper cars, the little roller coaster in the back, the ferris wheel in the front, the picnic benches where the parents sat...oh my goodness. I can almost recreate it right now!

Yes, it is a Goodwill now. There's a bowling alley right next to there too, just fyi. I don't know how much a difference of a drive that would be either. I've been to a few parties there too. Oh SA youth.

Old 09-07-2009, 04:48 AM

69 posts, read 202,920 times
we had one there 1-2 years ago. they have several nice party rooms in back. we bowled and every table had popcorn. then we went in the back for pizza, cake, drinks, and presents. you have a staff member assigned to you. it went very well, they are very attentive, and i'd recommend it.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanski View Post
we had one there 1-2 years ago. they have several nice party rooms in back. we bowled and every table had popcorn. then we went in the back for pizza, cake, drinks, and presents. you have a staff member assigned to you. it went very well, they are very attentive, and i'd recommend it.
Thanks for the info! Im going to put the deposit down tmrw. I have no idea how many kids Im going to be dealing with here so wish me luck!! LOL:: Any CDers care to volunteer their time wrangling a bunch of 5 and 6 year old boys at the bowling alley???

Old 09-07-2009, 09:49 AM

604 posts, read 1,530,622 times
I'm in the same boat- have boy/girl twins birthday next month. I just called fiesta farms for a price--250.00. We have had one party there before and the kids loved it, but I was really hoping to get off a little cheaper this year. Maybe I will look into the bowling- but I know that will mean I am going to be responsible for getting their shoes, bowling ball,keeping them away from the ball return, keeping them entertained until their turn............ hmmmm maybe 250.00 is not so bad.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:59 AM

905 posts, read 2,959,449 times
Too bad Bandera Bowl closed their funplex. We had at least four parties there and went to many more.

We had a good experience at University Bowl, too. Hosted one party and attended several others. I don't remember the price, but it was competitive at the time to other alternatives.

There's a place at Blanco and West Ave called Incredible Pizza. It is probably a big zoo there on the weekends, but the two parties my son has gone to, he has had a blast. They have games, etc, but I don't know what else.

Do you have access to a neighborhood pool? Pool parties seem to be the least expensive ones we've hosted. $50 for the pool plus the food items.

Dave and Busters does parties for kids, too. They have mostly arcade games, but again, kidlet #2 loved it. Of course, anywhere there's video games he's happy.

Have fun no matter what you decide. My two are both past the party stage and just want to celebrate birthdays by either stay up all night playing video games and eating junk food (son) or go out to eat and to a movie with a group of friends (daughter).

Old 09-07-2009, 01:08 PM

I dont think University Bowl was that expensive....$60 per lane w/ 2 lane min I think. Plus you get a hostess so that will help.

I didnt give my son a "real" party last yr since we were in the middle of moving so I really want to try and do something special for him that he really wants. We are party-pros though and have done nearly every kind of party you can imagine with the exception of pizza place parties - I absolutely cannot stand those places!

The best parties we have had though honestly were house parties. My daughter's in July was really fun and relaxed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio