U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 05:25 PM

26 posts, read 37,680 times

Advertisements

I tried the culebra meat market but wasn`t very fond of it..... But never ever did I find clams in san antonio yet..... I need to find a place where and can get a pound of flounder, or maybe trout.. At home I used toi buy 15lbs of meat at one time and spend abount 50 bucks to do it....Where I moved from I used to eat hundreds of them a week from local chinese buffets..... Also, what buffet do you think is best... I been to panda buffet, fortune cookie, and the small one by cici`s off of calebra & really enjoyed them all, esp the fresh steak form the grill.... Are those among the best for the price as I try to get my best bang for the buck.... Thanks to anyone that can help a newcomer to san antonio.. I live off of potranco & 1604..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 05:27 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $84,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

14,591 posts, read 21,368,015 times
The question about fresh seafood comes up a lot here, because there isn't a great source in town. An expert once posted that San Antonio won't get truly fresh seafood until it has direct flights from coastal places where seafood is produced.

Old 09-06-2009, 06:42 PM

85 posts, read 211,494 times
I saw on craigslist a post of a guy that comes and deliver fresh seafood every weekend off the coast. I haven't seen his add for a while and I never got to order either.

As for chinesse buffets those are good. They told me about one called golden phoenix. My friend told me the food is excellent. Has anybody else tried it? I haven't gone over there because it's somewhere on 410 and Perrin beitel I believe.

Old 09-06-2009, 08:07 PM

1,632 posts, read 2,382,048 times
GOLDEN PHOENIX used to be my fav years ago. It's still ok but CHINA SEA a little up the road is usually better. There is also a small Thai restaurant with a buffet on Perrin Bietel that's great!

As for seafood, HEB Market on Broadway as a better selection than regular HEBs, and prob a bit fresher too. They almost always have live clams, oysters, crabs and such. They are more expensive though.

Old 09-06-2009, 08:10 PM

5,081 posts, read 7,698,834 times
1 thread down somebody's asking about raising chickens in their back yard...

But if you're looking for something other than backyard chickens IMO the larger HEBs should be able to take care of you.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:17 PM

2 posts, read 4,712 times
Default Fresh Meat and Seafood....

.... can be found at Whole Foods Market.

Meat & Poultry | WholeFoodsMarket.com (http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/products/meat.php - broken link)

[url=http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/products/seafood.php]Seafood | WholeFoodsMarket.com[/url]

FRESH wild salmon from Alaska, fresh tilapia, fresh seafood salads, etc

They also have Grass Fed beef from this very state of Texas. There's a grassfed alliance throughout the state of Texas and they PASTURE raise the animals so that they roam free and eat nothing but grass and alfalfa hay. You can taste and smell (while its cooking) the difference it is amazing!

Market made fresh sausages, too.

Culebra meat markets are a joke.
So are Walmart frozen pizzas

If you want the freshest meat and seafood you will find it at Whole Foods... or even Central Market, for that matter, but Whole Foods seems to have the best tasting grassfed beef around, man, I'll tell you. T-bones, osso bucco, etc... mmmmm!

Old 09-06-2009, 10:24 PM

2 posts, read 4,712 times
We do have a Whole Foods in San Antonio, peoples. It's not just for the rich folks. Right off 281. Look it up in Google maps or something you'll find it!

Last edited by Arrows; 09-06-2009 at 10:25 PM.. Reason: :)

Old 09-06-2009, 10:42 PM

47 posts, read 69,994 times
The HEB at 281/1604 actually has a fairly respectable seafood section.

Old 09-06-2009, 11:11 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,162,562 times
High quality meat and seafood at Costco and reasonable too. Forget about HEB for quality and price, Whole Foods has quality but high price. Costco's is the best IMO.

Old 09-06-2009, 11:20 PM

3,823 posts, read 10,000,638 times
IMO, buying fresh fish here in San Antonio is a joke. You have to go to Houston to get fresh fish, and even then some of the fish are frozen (the ones that didn't sale the first day).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio